Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change in Insurance under writer?

Options
  • 17-10-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've got my phone insured with gadgetinsurance.ie

Their current policy is that if you lose a phone they send you out a cheque to the value of that phone. I spoke to one of their reps yesterday who said they are changing their underwriter and that from now on the phone will be replaced instead of a cheque.

At present, I have an iPhone 4. In two years time say, they probably won't be making them, so what happens if it is lost/stolen? What do they replace it with? She wasn't too sure but said it would be something of "equal value". Does this mean they could give me a completely different brand of phone or how does it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've got my phone insured with gadgetinsurance.ie

Their current policy is that if you lose a phone they send you out a cheque to the value of that phone. I spoke to one of their reps yesterday who said they are changing their underwriter and that from now on the phone will be replaced instead of a cheque.

At present, I have an iPhone 4. In two years time say, they probably won't be making them, so what happens if it is lost/stolen? What do they replace it with? She wasn't too sure but said it would be something of "equal value". Does this mean they could give me a completely different brand of phone or how does it work?

TBH the only ones that can/will answer that fully will be gadgetinsurance.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Tippex wrote: »
    TBH the only ones that can/will answer that fully will be gadgetinsurance.ie

Thanks, it's just the girl on the phone was pretty clueless herself yesterday.

I'm used to using an iPhone. I'd be pissed off if next year it was robbed and they handed me out a Huawei or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Thanks, it's just the girl on the phone was pretty clueless herself yesterday.

I'm used to using an iPhone. I'd be pissed off if next year it was robbed and they handed me out a Huawei or whatever.

Generally its not similar value but similar specification. If it does say that in your contract then I would demand another iOS device if something were to go wrong.

I was asking the same about the iPhone 5 which is now discontinued, I have a 64GB model which is not available in the 5C and they cant get the 5 anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

DylanII wrote: »
    Generally its not similar value but similar specification. If it does say that in your contract then I would demand another iOS device if something were to go wrong.

I was asking the same about the iPhone 5 which is now discontinued, I have a 64GB model which is not available in the 5C and they cant get the 5 anymore.

Hi, so what will they do should your 64GB be lost/stolen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Hi, so what will they do should your 64GB be lost/stolen?

They said although apple still dont supply them, insurance companies still have quite a few in stock...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Advertisement