Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Rules 2013

• 17-10-2013 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Sat 19 October
    First Test
    Ireland v Australia, Kingspan Breffni Park, 7pm

Sat 26 October
    Second Test
    Ireland v Australia, Croke Park, TBC

Anyone care?
    Already a few controversies such as the indigenous Australian team and club v country wrangles in Ireland.
    Used to love this series at its peak in the early 2000s. Always played to a great intensity, tough but fair and I found the uniqueness of 2 sports coming together for a couple of tests really special.
    Seems to mean a lot to the players selected still but theres clearly a growing apathy towards it from the fans in both countries.
    Anyway hoping for a good series this time round.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Used to love it early noughties alright, couldn't care less about it now, won't even bother watching tbh

Hope Mayo boys come through unscathed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Used to love these tests before but i think the glamour has gone from them.

Think if the GAA promoted the inter-provincials over these fixtures and got the television coverage of them akin to the coverage this gets then the inter pro's would be a real runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Never bought into this idea the Railway Cup needs IRS to die so it can thrive. It was in decline long before IRS was revived in 98. The Inter-Pros have a Spring slot anyway so not like they're clashing.

Anyway the Aussies are doing a war dance before the matches if that floats your boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

I will be in Parnell Park for the Dublin SFC matches on Saturday instead of watching the IRS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

iDave wrote: »
    Never bought into this idea the Railway Cup needs IRS to die so it can thrive. It was in decline long before IRS was revived in 98. The Inter-Pros have a Spring slot anyway so not like they're clashing.

Anyway the Aussies are doing a war dance before the matches if that floats your boat.

Didnt say it needs the IRS to die but the GAA would be better off promoting that than the IRS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Am going to the game in Breffni but to be honest that's only because it's on my doorstep - other than that would have no interest in it. Should provide a lift to the local economy and is a good coup for Breffni to get it but think overall the whole thing is on its last legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Agree.
    Nobody seems to really care whether we win or lose anymore, I couldn't even remember who won it last year.
    Think it's on its last legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Am going to the game in Breffni but to be honest that's only because it's on my doorstep - other than that would have no interest in it. Should provide a lift to the local economy and is a good coup for Breffni to get it but think overall the whole thing is on its last legs.

I'm more or less doing the same but I'll be in CP. I think that since there has been a spread on the counties loosing players to Oz rules some fans have looked at it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I love watching the International Rules. Confusing, often turgid, but always interesting for me. I get a strange sense of pride in seeing lads I have no connection with apart from nationality and sport displaying their great skills on an international stage.

From what I hear the indigenous all-stars have a pretty strong squad this year, so hopefully it will lead to two good tests. One good year is all it would take for these to gain momentum again I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

elefant wrote: »
    I love watching the International Rules. Confusing, often turgid, but always interesting for me. I get a strange sense of pride in seeing lads I have no connection with apart from nationality and sport displaying their great skills on an international stage.

From what I hear the indigenous all-stars have a pretty strong squad this year, so hopefully it will lead to two good tests. One good year is all it would take for these to gain momentum again I feel.

Maybe 2 but I see your point. The complaints about the series didn't surface until the Aussies brought in the violence and subsequent 'softening' in the following years. Pre-2006 most people quite liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The fact that Aussies are picking an indigenous team, rather than the best available team, suggests they're not overly concerned about who wins either ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,471 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Did the same for the test in Galway in 2006 cos it was on the doorstep, it was an interesting evening but still lacked something.
    The fact that Aussies are picking an indigenous team, rather than the best available team, suggests they're not overly concerned about who wins either ?

Interest has dwindled in Australia and the selection of an indigenous team is an attempt to add something different to it.

I think it's an interesting idea and I'd congratulate the Australians for trying something new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

It's on my doorstep also but I won't be attending. Good to see Breffni get to host it. Huge boost for the town, particularly with no Fleadh this year.

Was down in Breffni earlier - strange to see the place with the extra goalposts - looks quite strange tbh. It has been pelting it down here all day so am expecting a real muckfest tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Was down in Breffni earlier - strange to see the place with the extra goalposts - looks quite strange tbh. It has been pelting it down here all day so am expecting a real muckfest tomorrow night.

It's like the apocalypse alright at the minute. Pity because the whole town has events scheduled for the weekend thatMs in it.

Lemlin wrote: »
    It's like the apocalypse alright at the minute. Pity because the whole town has events scheduled for the weekend thatMs in it.

It's a real shame alright especially when so much effort was made but it is October in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Can anyone PM me a link if they have one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Is there English commentary available anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I'll be watching and I've my ticket got for Croke Park next Saturday. I've been going to many of them since the 1980s. Usually they are good occasions. The fights were what drew some people to them, but it can be good when played properly. The Australians have a major advantage by playing with the round ball, which has shown by the amount of tests that they have won. The mark is the worst element and should be removed completely as it turns it into stop-start game and takes a lot of the excitement out. You get really fast and exciting moves suddenly stopping dead and a player calmly kicks the ball, completely unchallenged. A big anti-climax compared to what we are used to. It has to be one of the most stupid rules in any ball sport and any that have it should get rid of it immediately. It is when Ireland have completely ignored the mark and kept the ball moving that they have done best. Hopefully neither the mark nor the violence will be seen tonight. Then we could be in for a good game. Up Ireland. Éire abú.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Extremely flat atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

On the radio. Sure if you were at the game you would not have commentary, so it is not that hard to follow without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

Not much tackling yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Refs are calling for everything so for. They need to let the game flow a bit more. Ball going out of play a lot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Really like the series, wish i was around to go this year, always good to beat the Aussies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Very tame so far......Aussies look well off the pace

Great rugby tackle from Cavanagh there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Have TG4 on mute and listening to it in Newstalk.
    The radio is about 1-2 seconds behind the TV picture

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

He'd fit right in with the Aussies from a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,561 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i too would like a link if anyone has one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

turgid awful stuff turned it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Clearly been practicing. Don't anybody tell Joe. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Very poor fare,Aussies are way off the pace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Squirtle McTurtle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Them Aussies are just waiting for a fist fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Anyone know if it is possible to get the Aussie jersey over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Anyone know if it is possible to get the Aussie jersey over here?

If you are able to be in Dublin next week you'll probably get a game......

Really poor, way to easy for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Finton90

complete non event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 minecrafter1

Ireland just scored a goal there but they ran straight through the Aussie defence. VERY poor match, I don't know why I'm even watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Aussies have just scored 12 quick points to make it more interesting

Really seems to lack a bit of intensity

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Stonky

This is constant muck. Why isn't this sh1te let die??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

What a miss

Hilarious miss, how the **** did he manage that!

Austrailia really coming back into this

I know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Bit of bite now. Violence should be mandatory in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

The game had genuinely put me to sleep but the rattle of the crossbar woke me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Unreal miss there. Bit of heat in it now might make things interesting.

Another Aussie miss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement