Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Rules 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 NickB1337

Does anyone know if there's any student tickets for sale for the match in croke park on saturday? All I see for sale on ticketmaster are adult and junior ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Seemed to be a decent crowd at Breffni, for all the people saying its pointless and irrelevant it still has the ability to fill grounds in a way the Railway Cup, Sigerson/Fitzgibbon, club championships and even national leagues can only dream of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

iDave wrote: »
    Seemed to be a decent crowd at Breffni, for all the people saying its pointless and irrelevant it still has the ability to fill grounds in a way the Railway Cup, Sigerson/Fitzgibbon, club championships and even national leagues can only dream of.

17,600 attendance - 10k short of capacity and they were practically giving some of the tickets away. Take away the season tickets, the tickets given to schools and the ones sold on the Celebrity Apprentice and you are a long way away from a decent championship crowd or where the series once was. Add the fact it was on TG4, the aussies didn't send over the big stars and the amount of lads unavailable due to club commitments.

It's on its last legs imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Tom Joad wrote: »
    17,600 attendance - 10k short of capacity and they were practically giving some of the tickets away. Take away the season tickets, the tickets given to schools and the ones sold on the Celebrity Apprentice and you are a long way away from a decent championship crowd or where the series once was. Add the fact it was on TG4, the aussies didn't send over the big stars and the amount of lads unavailable due to club commitments.

It's on its last legs imho.

Also add in the fact that its crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

robbiezero wrote: »
    Also add in the fact that its crap.

Ah I dont agree with that. It definitely looks like it's on its last legs but I think that's a pity. It has great potential. I remember the intensity and the atmosphere in the noughties. It was terrific. Great to have a sort of national gaelic team to get behind. I'll be sad to see it go but they should definitely axe it instead of letting it die a slow death with dwindling numbers and increasing apathy from both sides. May bring it back in a few years for a big anniversary event or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

should we play with the oval ball for say one of the two games to even things up, it didn't help the aussies that they sent over a weakened team , we just looked so much in control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Ah I dont agree with that. It definitely looks like it's on its last legs but I think that's a pity. It has great potential. I remember the intensity and the atmosphere in the noughties. It was terrific. Great to have a sort of national gaelic team to get behind. I'll be sad to see it go but they should definitely axe it instead of letting it die a slow death with dwindling numbers and increasing apathy from both sides. May bring it back in a few years for a big anniversary event or something.

I would be sad to see it go, it used to be great entertainment and it is good to see the players representing a national team, but they can surely come up with a better game than that.
    The mark completely saps any momentum out of the game whatsoever. Its original intention was to reward high fielding which it did in the 90;s and noughties and was a great spectacle. With Gaelic football having evolved into a possession game it is now used just to keep possession and seeing lads tapping the ball 20 yards to each other and effectively stopping play each time makes for rubbish entertainment.
    If they altered the mark rule in some way to bring back it in only for high fielding of long balls, it might bring the entertainment factor back into the game.

It will definitely die a death if they keep showing that rubbish that I watched Saturday night. I had to pretend to be interested in it to prevent the missus switching over to x-factor, but it was a close thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Avoiding tackles by playing soccer is a bit of a cop out. You should be able to at least shoulder a player who's playing it on the ground. It seems if you play it on the ground you're untouchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

should we play with the oval ball for say one of the two games to even things up, it didn't help the aussies that they sent over a weakened team , we just looked so much in control

I'd agree with this. Its too much of an advantage for the Irish. But more importantly, it would make it easier for Aussie fans to follow (and for Aussie teams to work our which players they want to poach).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

To be honest the rules have stayed largely the same, and after every convincing win it promotes a debate whether they favour one side or another.

Remember the Aussies have ebeaten us plenty times as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I think the main point people are missing is that this is never going to work unless the Aussies are 100% committed to it which they are not. I spend quite a bit of time in Australia every year and you have to look very hard to find coverage of it in the newspapers.It is not on mainstream TV and commands about 1 minute at the end of sports bulletins. The hardcore AFL fans have absolutely no interest in it.
    They have never sent over their best team as a lot of the top players go off for pre season operations etc. I think 3 of the current team have not made their AFL debut yet.
    In recent years the AFL have made a concerted effort to attract overseas players(south africa,new zealand, usa) led by Tadgh Kennelly I believe the IR is just an arm of that policy.
    In my opinion the only way it can work is if you have the top 20 gaa players playing against the top 20 afl players with the schedule tweaked to accommodate this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I think the main point people are missing is that this is never going to work unless the Aussies are 100% committed to it which they are not. I spend quite a bit of time in Australia every year and you have to look very hard to find coverage of it in the newspapers.It is not on mainstream TV and commands about 1 minute at the end of sports bulletins. The hardcore AFL fans have absolutely no interest in it.
    They have never sent over their best team as a lot of the top players go off for pre season operations etc. I think 3 of the current team have not made their AFL debut yet.
    In recent years the AFL have made a concerted effort to attract overseas players(south africa,new zealand, usa) led by Tadgh Kennelly I believe the IR is just an arm of that policy.
    In my opinion the only way it can work is if you have the top 20 gaa players playing against the top 20 afl players with the schedule tweaked to accommodate this.

But the Irish are not committed to it either

Are our best players playing in the series ?

Why are there so many country v club debates ?

But the Irish are not committed to it either

Are our best players playing in the series ?

Why are there so many country v club debates ?

In recent years Irish players have been less committed that's why I said it can only work if each countries top players are involved and a schedule to accommodate this.
    However in fairness to Ireland there are far more top GAA players playing in this series than there are Australian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Should the football coach be obliged to pick the All-Stars, and all All-stars could be made available ?
    Perhaps it should be played in November, rather than now when many club championships are still being played.

I know that if All-Stars are picked, while a good gaelic player may not necessarily be the best at aussie rules, but at least we'd start with our best footballers. Might seem more like a national team.

The hurling/shinty international will be played in Croke Park before the football on Saturday.
    What are people's feelings about this?
    The Irish cant field a full strength team for competitive reasons as Scottish shinty isnt taken as seriously as hurling in Ireland. It's also played in front of much smaller crowds than the football. Should it be scrapped? Do you think its a good spectacle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That would give us an advantage according to Flukey, and he is an expert on this game.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm guessing Flukey was taking the piss, he must have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭loi09

I have seats for Cusack stand 304 ROW D seat 26 I also have tickets for 307 at row TT seat 22 which view would be better ? .Any pictures from these views would be helpful and thank you . I am going to my first international series on Saturday cant wait I believe it should be supported myself as it gives the Irish lads a chance to impress but I do agree the TV coverage should be on RTE ,I believe it would improve viewer ship figures I also think Australia need to bring a stronger side next time and even though fights between county and country debate ranged on I must admit Ireland has a strong panel and the concept is a good one but needs to be tweaked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Was hoping to go and see the Shinty which is on before the International rules but can't make it now. I have a free ticket after renewing my season ticket if anyone wants it. Lower Cusack section 312.

Edit:Ticket gone to celticbest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

loi09 wrote: »
    I have seats for Cusack stand 304 ROW D seat 26 I also have tickets for 307 at row TT seat 22 which view would be better ? .Any pictures from these views would be helpful and thank you . I am going to my first international series on Saturday cant wait I believe it should be supported myself as it gives the Irish lads a chance to impress but I do agree the TV coverage should be on RTE ,I believe it would improve viewer ship figures I also think Australia need to bring a stronger side next time and even though fights between county and country debate ranged on I must admit Ireland has a strong panel and the concept is a good one but needs to be tweaked.

307 would probably be better. More central, but because you're in TT you'll also be at a nice height above pitch level which will give you a good overview of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

The hurling/shinty international will be played in Croke Park before the football on Saturday.
    What are people's feelings about this?
    The Irish cant field a full strength team for competitive reasons as Scottish shinty isnt taken as seriously as hurling in Ireland. It's also played in front of much smaller crowds than the football. Should it be scrapped? Do you think its a good spectacle?

I take it the aforementioned shinty/hurling is included in the price of the International Rules game ticket? 2 for the price of 1? I have 2 tickets for the brother and I and he really wants to see the former.

The shinty/hurling game starts at 4.15; the Aussie game at 7. That gives a chunk of time between matches to get some food. Is it alright to leave Croke Park after the first game and then come back? Or once in must you stay in til the end of the second game? What are the concession stands like in Croke Park? Any decent grub to be had?

Btw anyone any idea of the Irish team for the shinty/hurling? I've not seen or heard anything yet.

mod9maple wrote: »
    I take it the aforementioned shinty/hurling is included in the price of the International Rules game ticket? 2 for the price of 1? I have 2 tickets for the brother and I and he really wants to see the former.

The shinty/hurling game starts at 4.15; the Aussie game at 7. That gives a chunk of time between matches to get some food. Is it alright to leave Croke Park after the first game and then come back? Or once in must you stay in til the end of the second game? What are the concession stands like in Croke Park? Any decent grub to be had?

Btw anyone any idea of the Irish team for the shinty/hurling? I've not seen or heard anything yet.

No way you'll be allowed leave the staduim and get back in. (unless you have a second ticket :) )

No way you'll be allowed leave the stadium and get back in. (unless you have a second ticket

So what's the grub like then? Burgers and chips I suppose?

"The museum will remain open from 16.00 until 19.00 with access strictly restricted to match patrons only and admission to the museum will be FREE."

just found that on the GAA website - that'll kill some time. Nice one. :)

A Louth man not knowing much about Croke Park, no surprise there :P

• Advertisement

A Louth man not knowing much about Croke Park, no surprise there :P

I'm not a Louth man...;)

I'm not a Louth man...;)

damn you and your misleading location :mad: ruined a perfectly good troll.

I'd imagine, they might surprise you with a sandwich :) Wouldnt be great standard though. Bring your own id say!

The Irish panel:

1. BERNARD ROCHFORD (Kerry)
    2. DANNY CULLEN (Donegal)
    3. PAUL DIVILLY (Kildare)
    4. DAVID ENGLISH (Carlow)
    5. ARRON GRAFFIN (Antrim)
    6. CAHIR HEALY (Laois)
    7. RICHIE HOGAN (Kilkenny)
    8. GARETH JOHNSON (Down)
    9. JACK KAVANAGH (Carlow)
    10. BRENDAN MAHER (Tipperary)
    11. PATRICK MAHER (Tipperary
    12. KIERAN McKIERNAN (Armagh)
    13. NEIL McMANUS (CAPT.) (Antrim)
    14. DEREK McNICHOLAS (Westmeath)
    15. DARRAGH O’CONNELL (Kerry)
    16. EOIN REILLY (Laois)
    17. SHANE O’NEILL (Cork)
    18. EOIN PRICE (Westmeath)
    19. CONOR WOODS (Down)

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Was hoping to go and see the Shinty which is on before the International rules but can't make it now. I have a free ticket after renewing my season ticket if anyone wants it. Lower Cusack section 312.

Edit:Ticket gone to celticbest

I have 4 tickets together looking for a good home if anyone is interested 311 Lr Cusack. Please only take them if you intend going . Sorry , should have mentioned , theyre free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The Irish should hold their head high, they put out strong teams which trained and prepared well, brought good numbers of fans here and over there.

The ending of the series is down to the Australians. They picked a terrible team this year and treated it as a end of season jolly. I don't blame them to be honest. The Australians don't care at all about these games. Compared to them we would be fanatical about the game.

All suited me. I couldn't believe the australians were favourites with the bookies for the first test and filled my boots backing the Irish.

Doesnt bode well for the attendance when you cant give away tickets :eek:

Doesnt bode well for the attendance when you cant give away tickets :eek:

Yeah not looking good attendance wise, still advertising tickets.
    Also terrible weather forecast will put a few people off and Leinster are playing tomorrow evening as well which will knock another few off.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭loi09

I have 4 tickets together looking for a good home if anyone is interested 311 Lr Cusack. Please only take them if you intend going . Sorry , should have mentioned , theyre free.

Any chance could take two tickets off you please travelling up for the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

loi09 wrote: »
    Any chance could take two tickets off you please travelling up for the game?

And I'd take the other two if they're going free definitely. Cheers

nm wrote: »
    And I'd take the other two if they're going free definitely. Cheers

Sorry, they're gone to another forum member who PMd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Any other tickets going I'll take them, staying up in college the weekend with little else to be at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Dots1982 wrote: »
    The Irish should hold their head high, they put out strong teams which trained and prepared well, brought good numbers of fans here and over there.

The ending of the series is down to the Australians. They picked a terrible team this year and treated it as a end of season jolly. I don't blame them to be honest. The Australians don't care at all about these games. Compared to them we would be fanatical about the game.

All suited me. I couldn't believe the australians were favourites with the bookies for the first test and filled my boots backing the Irish.
    the aussies r terrible and ire will hammer them by as much as they like.. now that's in croke park where the irish lads will absolutely love to kick point for fun..i felt they took foot off gas last week once well up early on... ht\ft [EMAIL="'@8\11"]'@8\11[/EMAIL] with pp is well worth that price...backin handicap line..9.5 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Was planning on going. Our ýoung lad has never been to croker and I've never been in the evening time. The plan was to drive to maynooth and get the train to drumcondra, but going by Irish rail website yesterday the last train from drumcondra back to maynooth is at 8.20! Don't fancy walking about Dublin city with a child at 9 on a Saturday nite, nor do I fancy trying to drive into the city centre on a Sat eve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Was planning on going. Our ýoung lad has never been to croker and I've never been in the evening time. The plan was to drive to maynooth and get the train to drumcondra, but going by Irish rail website yesterday the last train from drumcondra back to maynooth is at 8.20! Don't fancy walking about Dublin city with a child at 9 on a Saturday nite, nor do I fancy trying to drive into the city centre on a Sat eve!

The last train from Drumcondra back to the Nooth on a Saturday is 23.21 and there is a train every hour around quarter past the hour before this. Its sunday where the train stops at 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

kksaints wrote: »
    The last train from Drumcondra back to the Nooth on a Saturday is 23.21 and there is a train every hour around quarter past the hour before this. Its sunday where the train stops at 9.

Oh thanks for that! And is the maintenance works on that line this weekend or is that a different route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Oh thanks for that! And is the maintenance works on that line this weekend or is that a different route?

Says on the Irishrail website that all Maynooth trains are to and from Connolly only which I assume means that they wont be going to Tara st or Pearse so it should be no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

I assume tickets are on sale at the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Pity the Shinty isn't marketed the same as the International Rules,for me its a far better series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

ire to hammer em.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

rambojon wrote: »
    ire to hammer em.

Looks like it's going to be one way traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Has the size of the crowd been announced in a language that I can understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Has the size of the crowd been announced in a language that I can understand?

Ni tuigim!;) Ah it looks like it's quite a pathetic attendance,Is the lower Cusack,Davin and Hogan even three quarters full??Guesstimate 25 to 30 thousand.Speaking over which the pre match handbagging has been most competitive part of the contest,Irish lads have been shooting the lights out,very impressive.Michael Shields has even got in on the act,not exactly known for his long distance point taking!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Aussies look completely deflated as well. Could be a long last couple of quarters for them

Whats the biggest win in any IR game ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

30,000 isn't too bad considering it is a cold, wet Saturday night of a bank holiday weekend. Add in that no one has even heard of most of the players on one of the team & it ain't too shabby. The Leinster goys over at the RDS weren't able to draw even half that tonight, even though all of the internationals are playing & the opposition is another Irish province. The only problem with this game, is that Croker is so damm big, a crowd of 30,000 in it still sounds, looks and feels like nothing.

Advertisement