Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Rules 2013

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

2 extremely one-sided games isn't the way to go

I dont actually think they would be that one-sided. As it is, the game is basically gaelic football with a mark and the occcasional 'legal' tackle thrown in. With rugby becoming more popular in Ireland, catching and kicking a rugby shaped ball wouldn't be that difficult to adapt to. The problem with the australians is that there are very few games which involve catching and kicking a round ball so they find it difficult to adapt. In fact I think it might be an idea to play every second quarter with the different balls. I never believed the game was only suited to a round ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

thelad95 wrote: »
    I dont actually think they would be that one-sided. As it is, the game is basically gaelic football with a mark and the occcasional 'legal' tackle thrown in. With rugby becoming more popular in Ireland, catching and kicking a rugby shaped ball wouldn't be that difficult to adapt to. The problem with the australians is that there are very few games which involve catching and kicking a round ball so they find it difficult to adapt. In fact I think it might be an idea to play every second quarter with the different balls. I never believed the game was only suited to a round ball.

Respectfully disagree.

Do you really think that 15 athletes who had a couple of weeks to learn how to play football, could beat the best Ireland had to offer?

And vice versa. we would be destroyed in oval-ball Aussie rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Respectfully disagree.

Do you really think that 15 athletes who had a couple of weeks to learn how to play football, could beat the best Ireland had to offer?

This is correct, We would be absolutely destroyed if we played with an oval ball. We wouldn't be able to bounce the thing for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Respectfully disagree.

Correct, to think that Ireland would get even close to the Australians at their own game is wishful thinking in the absolute extreme. Catching that ball is one thing but kicking it with accuracy is an extremely difficult skill, this is the reason that the selected the round ball in the first place as they felt the required leap to adapt to it from the australians is lesser than the same would be for the gaa lads to adapt to the sherrin.

I don't see the point in playing one half in GAA and one in AFL. It would just be two complete mismatches, see which team can hammer the other by the most points.

IMO the biggest problem with this series is the apathy of the australian players and public. The indigenous decision I feel was the death rattle of the idea for the time being. Unless they get the elite australian players out (thoe who have competed with the irish in the past) the public will not go to watch it, with no public there is no sponsorship dollars and without that it is completely dead

The main reason Ireland bet Oz so easily was that Ireland picked a really really good team, close to the best we could have. The Aussies picked a woeful side who didn’t care much about the game as this series has absolutely no traction in Oz, they treat this like we would if we sent an under-16 team to play Int rules in Australia. I don’t think a lot of posters are grasping that this sport has no importance at all in Oz and they will most likely pull the plug on it while the GAA would like to continue it. The only interest in Oz on this was that they expected their lads to be racially abused.

The whole “we should play with the Aussie ball” argument is a complete red herring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I think for the series to live on,The Australians need to put out an All-Star team. We need to see their star names like Gary Ablett, Joel Selwood, Scott Pendlebury and Dane Swan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

But the Irish team isnt an All Star team?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

naughtb4 wrote: »

9 players in our squad are nominated for GAA All Stars this year. Not including one of the best forwards in the country Michael Murphy and 4x All-Star Sean Cavanagh 2x All Stars Aidan Walsh and Ciaran Sheehan.

naughtb4 wrote: »

No, its better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement