Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I think their attendance figures include people who are just walking diagonally from Garvey's corner to town as market attendees. Last year they had someone with a clicker at the top corner.
    If that's the case I will be shown as a 'visitor' to the market at least 300 times this year.

We probably pass each other by about 300 times a month !

Although sometimes my feet automatically veer in the direction of O'Connell's.
    Totally against my will of course.

Lapin wrote: »
    Is Corndog Guy there this year ?

Not worth going near the place unless Corndog Guy is in town.

You could take out all the other stalls and just have him !

That would be the Christmas Market on its own.

Without Corndog Guy there is no market.

The beer tent is all that matters ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

There's a corn dog stall.. Is that corn dog guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Lapin wrote: »
    Is Corndog Guy there this year ?

Not worth going near the place unless Corndog Guy is in town.

You could take out all the other stalls and just have him !

That would be the Christmas Market on its own.

Without Corndog Guy there is no market.

Corndog guy is there!

Really not at all impressed. The layout is pretty much identical to last year with the same stalls in the same locations. Prices were the same and compared to the first year the selection is once again quite poor. Beer tent was where we spent most of our time but once again a few heaters inside wouldn't go amiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Did anyone see Enda Kenny getting chased by about 50 people with placards when he was walking around the market last night?

It was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Did anyone see Enda Kenny getting chased by about 50 people with placards when he was walking around the market last night?

It was hilarious.

LOL! A friend told me that the Mayor got chased into Freeneys by the anti-choicers who ran down the road behind the entourage with their banners! Hope a pint or a tea was had to ease the stress! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Really not at all impressed. The layout is pretty much identical to last year with the same stalls in the same locations. Prices were the same and compared to the first year the selection is once again quite poor. Beer tent was where we spent most of our time but once again a few heaters inside wouldn't go amiss.

Really? I found it very warm once the place was full

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sindy5

I found the xmas market the same as last year. There is an extra beer tent this year and more seating. I noticed a couple if more local stands this year. I wush there was more local craft stands.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Not bad for its opening, will probably get better in a fortnight or so once more stalls set up, nice atmosphere as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Go to St Nics market for local crafts, the eyre suare market is for more exotic stuff.

Nice idea from someone to turn the tourist train into a santa train.

I haven't ventured inside yet, its been too busy. People seem to be enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Saw it 'pinging' along today, much to my amusement, and surprise, as usually when I'm deep into a burrito bowl, no outside stimulus will affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Update now I've been inside.

Stalls around the edges are mostly in the same places. But there's a big market square style area covering the paths and grass in the middle - makes a lot more space in front of the stage tent.

The nuns from Belarus have a stall that you cannot walk into, should cut down their shop-lifting rates but maybe their sales too. Various predictable local food retailers - Man of Aran fudge, someone selling soup, Adare farms hot pork, etc. The tart/macaroons/turkish-delight people who bake in the tent are there - took 2.90 off me for a tart that I reckon is worth about 2.00, but hey, they're putting up with working in a tent.

Really good buzz about the place, queues for the kids ride - great to see them full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

inisboffin wrote: »
    LOL! A friend told me that the Mayor got chased into Freeneys by the anti-choicers who ran down the road behind the entourage with their banners! Hope a pint or a tea was had to ease the stress! :D

oh they did. they were in o Connell's beer garden having pints, just said hi. Edna kenny, padraig coneely, and Brian Walsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Good update mrs ob, great to hear a positive review

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Will be in Galway next month so looking forward to seeing it. Last time I saw it was 2 years ago when I lived in Galway. Is it the same as it was 2 years ago? I thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Any pulled pork again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The nuns from Belarus have a stall that you cannot walk into, should cut down their shop-lifting rates but maybe their sales too. .

What do nuns from Belarus sell at it?

EDIT : Goods made by themselves and patients in a psychiatric hospital near their convent and all profits go toward funding the hospital. Seems they get as far as New York at Christmas. Pity anyone would shop lift when it's a charity stall.
    Intrepid nuns!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

same in Belfast.
    its a welcome addition to the city no doubt.
    yet overpriced and uncomfortably busy.
    there is obviously a massive demand for this sort of attraction in the winter months but can we please not have someone in a city council in Ireland make it less about money, they cram them in and hike the prices to the roof as if its ever going to be the last xmas market ever.

i cant be arsed with the belfast one anymore ,went tonight , dont even bother with the stalls but the pubs are good.
    problem is they are packed out , massive queues and loud drinkers shouting and no seats or comfort.

i look at it now and its nice for the tourists and people who dont get out much , but im out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Their Arse.

& here's me trying to think of some sophisticated way of saying that.

Xmas market should go 24 hour, for no reason other than I'd drop in around 5 am to haggle with a Nun from Belarus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

inisboffin wrote: »
    This was ****ing ridiculous! Inside Freeney's, Old Missus Freeney was celebrating her 100th birthday and it had been arranged for Enda Kenny to go in and say hello but you have a bunch of these pro-lifer pricks shouting and roaring outside the door. <snip>.

Not to mention all the general anti establishment headbangers having dinner in McDonalds afterwards. I'm sure the irony is lost on these <snip>.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a walk round the Market last night. Much better layout than previous years, the little 'Squares' of stalls and stuff in the middle is a far better idea than previous years. Didnt see many new things but the French Bakery was there so thats good. The new indoor Gluhwein cabin is nice too and another good addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

€3 for a small hotdog!!! Frankfurter was pathetic. I managed to see them taking the frankfurters from the packet, looked suspiciously like Aldi brand. Really left a bad taste in my mouth and i'm not talking about the food. Don't go out of you way as there is nothing new this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Just in case anyone gets caught out- the main pick and mix stall charges €30 per Kg €3 per 100g. It's not displayed anywhere obvious so people could get caught out as this is very steep indeed. The smaller pick and mix was €2 per 100g.

Usually they're about 1.20/1.30 per 100g I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

topcat77 wrote: »
    €3 for a small hotdog!!! Frankfurter was pathetic. I managed to see them taking the frankfurters from the packet, looked suspiciously like Aldi brand. Really left a bad taste in my mouth and i'm not talking about the food. Don't go out of you way as there is nothing new this year.
    So you saw the price, then saw they were 'Aldi' brand and then obviously saw them all laid out on the giant grill yet you then got it anyway. I dont understand the complaint? If it was a Bratwurst you wanted then go to the St Nicholas Market and get a Joachims Bratwurst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Go to St Nics market for local crafts, the eyre suare market is for more exotic stuff.

I haven't ventured inside yet, its been too busy. People seem to be enjoying it.

you mean somebody threw a bit of tinsel on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

you mean somebody threw a bit of tinsel on it. :D
    No as far as i know you get an all inclusive ticket to ride the train and visit santa in the market. I think it's a class idea, adds a bit of magic. I'll definitely be bringing my kids on it.

I saw the train going down the road last night and it look cool

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

For me the goods in the market are over priced; however it does add a little extra buzz about the town for Xmas and so even if I, poor student that I am, have to make a once off payment of a couple of Euro over the odds for a hotdog or whatnot I'm happy enough to do so to have the market in the town for Xmas.

I hand in my thesis on the 11th of december and will be heading to the beer tent that evening, woohoo!
    Anyone know their opening hours and whats the price of a pint in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

So you saw the price, then saw they were 'Aldi' brand and then obviously saw them all laid out on the giant grill yet you then got it anyway. I dont understand the complaint? If it was a Bratwurst you wanted then go to the St Nicholas Market and get a Joachims Bratwurst.

Didn't see them on the Grill. Thought a small was going to be half a big one! saw them fill the grill with the small as i was leaving. Agree regarding Joachims Bratwurst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I hand in my thesis on the 11th of december and will be heading to the beer tent that evening, woohoo!
    Anyone know their opening hours and whats the price of a pint in there?

It stays open for one hour after the market itself closes.
    €5.50 for 500ml
    €10 for 1000ml
    €5 returnable deposit on glasses

Advertisement