Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

maki wrote: »
    ..€5.50 for 500ml €10 for 1000ml ..

That's €6.25 a pint :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

^^ dafuq did I just watch?

"Hope many people are gonna have, eh, how many familes are gonna be without, eh..... a family member this Christmas?"

Stay in school, kid.

-Edit- Just watched some of the uploaders other videos. Forget school, the Dole office seems to be where they spend their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I think that was in relation to the woman just previous shouting something about immigration.

My favourite was, "Enda Kenny stole Christmas!"

enda.jpg

newkie wrote: »

My favourite was, "Enda Kenny stole Christmas!"

Ah yes, that gem :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

just left the Xmas market - it's okay, not too much different than before - a few people walking around, but funnily enough, nobody seems to be buying much - except for one stall but by the food and windmill bar - a garlic crusher/press - very practical and a nice surprise from all the tat. Might get a few for Xmas presses this year - at least it is useable.

nothing much else impressed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Beer tent was good craic, raging hangover the next morning from it though!

Gonna try and keep away from it until after the exams though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's €6.25 a pint :eek:

No its 5.50 for a 500ml, they dont do pints!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

You're being a tad picky there Ben.

Pints and half pints are the standard measure for draft beer sold in Ireland.

So Snubbleste's bit of mathamatics above is a handy comparison for equating the difference in the price of beer in the market to what we pay in a pub for a similar quantity.

And at those prices I reckon any visit I make to the beer tent this year will be a one off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Which is equivalent to €6.25 for 568ml which is a pint which is my point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Which is equivalent to €6.25 for 568ml which is a pint which is my point

The fact they dont do pints though kinda makes it pointless. You are paying for the fact that its a one off and limited time venue offering something different so comparisons are of little use. I personally dont like the tent as its just a tent full of pissed up goons drinking the lesser German beers but each to their own.

Anyone find the Churros yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Great to see the usual brand of misery permeate the thread. If you don't want a pint at that price then stick to your cans of supermarket own brand beer down the arch - it's the cheapest in town.

For the rest of us the market is a welcome addition to the city for the month. Passed through it on Saturday evening and the layout seems better (definitely a valid complaint from years past). Looking forward to a proper browse during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah will head in for a burger and a pint on Friday.
    I don't mind if it costs a little bit extra once a year.

swine wrote: »
    Great to see the usual brand of misery permeate the thread. If you don't want a pint at that price then stick to your cans of supermarket own brand beer down the arch - it's the cheapest in town.

For the rest of us the market is a welcome addition to the city for the month. Passed through it on Saturday evening and the layout seems better (definitely a valid complaint from years past). Looking forward to a proper browse during the week.

Couldn't have said it better.

Went down on Friday and had a great time. Bought some food, had a drink and met loads of people.

Going to go for another walk through this weekend coming, eat the same food and have another drink.... oh and buy one of those garlic crushers, they look the business.

Yes, we know the market isin't the cheapest place in town. You could give things away for free and some people on here would still moan. Personally, I don't mind paying a little extra for products there given the entertainment/fun aspect of the market. Also, the retailers are standing in a freezing cold tent all day, i'd like to see some of the whiners on here try that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

What makes the garlic crushers so good? I haven't been seen them yet but am in the market for one. (pun intended).

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    What makes the garlic crushers so good? I haven't been seen them yet but am in the market for one. (pun intended).

I have a garlic crusher at home - its the one you flip over and spend ages trying to wash. The one at the market is flat - it doesn't crush the garlic - more make it into a paste in about two seconds - and washes in basin of water immediately - I got they guy to demonstrate it - it can be used for anything - ginger, chocolate, Olives for tapenade - very pretty things and very practical. It looks so so simple to use and wash. I gonna get some for Xmas presents this weekend - it makes a change from all the seaweed, candle, hats stalls. Get the guy to do a demonstration - they are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Sounds good. Do you think it could double as a nut-cracker?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I have a garlic crusher at home - its the one you flip over and spend ages trying to wash. The one at the market is flat - it doesn't crush the garlic - more make it into a paste in about two seconds - and washes in basin of water immediately - I got they guy to demonstrate it - it can be used for anything - ginger, chocolate, Olives for tapenade - very pretty things and very practical. It looks so so simple to use and wash. I gonna get some for Xmas presents this weekend - it makes a change from all the seaweed, candle, hats stalls. Get the guy to do a demonstration - they are very good.

It has been one of my life long searches to find a non-crap garlic crusher. If this is the real deal I'll be very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It has been one of my life long searches to find a non-crap garlic crusher. If this is the real deal I'll be very happy.

I got a pressie of a fab mortar and pestle a number of years ago and found that a good one really does the trick (if not!)

you should definitely have a look - the stall is just behind the windmill bar stall. its in a bit of an out of the way place- not in the "thick" of the market.

• Advertisement

Exactly what you said.

The guy was doing a demo the other night, would have bought there and then but didn't want to be carrying it around (didn't have a bag).

I'll be buying one next time i'm up.

It's not cheap at 12 euro (i'll offer him 10 and see what he says as he's doing 2 for 20) but I reckon it'll pay for itself in no time. I have NEVER been able to find a decent crusher. This product is a small plate with teeth-like things on it, you rub it up and down (like a grater) and it makes it into pretty much a paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

got one in the saturday market few weeks ago. very handy little thing. doesnt crush but makes garlic or ginger into a paste. only takes seconds and then use little brush to brush it off the little saucer. had mine in dishwasher too and came out perfect. haven't tried it on anything else except garlic and ginger and so far very good!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was thinking about taking some time off and spending a weekend in Galway to take in the Christmas Market, among other things. However now that the most exciting thing about the entire Christmas Market seems to be a garlic crusher, I am reconsidering :D

Are there many stalls there to buy actual gifts at or is it more about a Christmassy place to hang out, eat and drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Sounds good. Do you think it could double as a nut-cracker?

ouch-my-groin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I'm frightened by how much that oddly looks like me... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

bloody garlic yoke is 12 euros for a stupid little plate with grooves and you're all going on about it, are you mad or just down with Enda and the gravy train?

IS_a_Class wrote: »
    bloody garlic yoke is 12 euros for a stupid little plate with grooves and you're all going on about it, are you mad or just down with Enda and the gravy train?

12 euro for something that does a job quickly and easily seems like a bargain. I have a garlic/other type of thing crusher here and it's a nightmare to use as it's intended and cleaning the thing is a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

each to his/her own i suppose. i balk at paying 12 euro for something i could source for 50 cent in China, but that's just me. They'd sell a whole lot more if it was like 7.50, though i could say the same for the Beer Tent, but nobody ever listens to an economist!

IS_a_Class wrote: »
    each to his/her own i suppose. i balk at paying 12 euro for something i could source for 50 cent in China, but that's just me. They'd sell a whole lot more if it was like 7.50, though i could say the same for the Beer Tent, but nobody ever listens to an economist!

But the one you source in China for 50 cent will most likely break after a couple of uses. Most people would rather pay that little bit extra and get something that won't be in bits a week later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

I have a garlic/other type of thing crusher here and it's a nightmare to use as it's intended and cleaning the thing is a bitch.

ha, there's one for the MiddleClassProblem twitter account... https://twitter.com/middleclassprob

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Advertisement