Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

IS_a_Class wrote: »
    each to his/her own i suppose. i balk at paying 12 euro for something i could source for 50 cent in China, but that's just me. They'd sell a whole lot more if it was like 7.50, though i could say the same for the Beer Tent, but nobody ever listens to an economist!

You don't sound like an economist...

Also for people balking at the price of the beer in the tent, its Paulaner, which is a lot nicer than Heineken or Bud or the other piss you get in most bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

MadYaker wrote: »

Also for people balking at the price of the beer in the tent, its Paulaner, which is a lot nicer than Heineken or Bud or the other piss you get in most bars.

Whats the choice of beer like in there?

Whats the choice of beer like in there?

Not a whole lot of choice there. If you want a nice selection of beer head on down to the Salt House. 23 beers on tap, 150+ bottles and the only thing generic is the Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

While I agree quality from China is an issue if proper QC has not been put in place, do you have much guarantee your new garlic 'plate with grooves' is not manufactured in China?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

MadYaker wrote: »

ah, Paulaner?! Jesus, you'd think they'd have something I couldn't buy down the road, or any road in Ireland for that matter. If you would like to pursue a discussion on the price elasticity of demand, then we could move over to the Economics forum if you like? Or I may be wrong, and you, Tesco, Boots and many others are right; that many Irish consumers are complete idiots.

• Advertisement

While I agree quality from China is an issue if proper QC has not been put in place, do you have much guarantee your new garlic 'plate with grooves' is not manufactured in China?

No, but having seen it in action and picked one up it's quite a robust and well put together piece of kit. It may fall apart in a matter of weeks but it doesn't have that cheap look and feel that 50 cent China knock offs do

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Quit the moaning /mod

for the sake of xmas :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

ah, Paulaner?! Jesus, you'd think they'd have something I couldn't buy down the road, or any road in Ireland for that matter. If you would like to pursue a discussion on the price elasticity of demand, then we could move over to the Economics forum if you like? Or I may be wrong, and you, Tesco, Boots and many others are right; that many Irish consumers are complete idiots.

You missed my point. My point was that you generally will pay more for Paulaner in any normal pub than you would for Heineken etc so in that regard the prices in the beer tent aren't actually that bad like a lot of people seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

each to his/her own i suppose. i balk at paying 12 euro for something i could source for 50 cent in China

Who "sources" things in China?
    A few extra euro is worth being able to check out what you're buying,feel if it's a quality item for yourself, not to mention the annoyance of shipping costs and waiting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Looking forward to visiting it with my daughter and nieces this weekend. I love it for the food and mulled wine mainly and the atmosphere.
    Re the garlic crusher, I've been using one of these for the past few years and it makes a great job of it and just rinses off...plus it won't cost ya 12 blooming euro:D
    cuisipro-parmesan-grater.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

bloody garlic yoke is 12 euros for a stupid little plate with grooves and you're all going on about it, are you mad or just down with Enda and the gravy train?

no, not mad - just use a lot of garlic and this little thing is the best thing I have found so far - also good for ginger, olives, chocolate, etc. Don't know it till you've tried it. At least its practical, not like a lot of the stuff at the market (tat)..or the overpriced fast food. :p

each to his/her own i suppose. i balk at paying 12 euro for something i could source for 50 cent in China, but that's just me. They'd sell a whole lot more if it was like 7.50, though i could say the same for the Beer Tent, but nobody ever listens to an economist!

you could say that about everything.

because its manufactured in France. I bought one yesterday...tried it out last night and it's the best garlic 'crusher' I ever used (including the one photo'd above) Although I think "crusher' is the wrong word for it - its more like a paste - less then ten seconds to do a clove - very smooth, - it comes with the little brush, and another rubber thing that you put the garlic into - roll it once and all the 'garlic paper' comes off the garlic - a lot easier than peeling. well worth 12 euro in my eyes - although i got two so it was only 20 euro. Very pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Apparently there is enough interest to have a best garlic crusher thread.

Besides, the best garlic is garlic you don't have to crush. Get some Very Lazy Garlic, job done. 51m8no1b1SL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

newkie wrote: »
    Apparently there is enough interest to have a best garlic crusher thread.

Besides, the best garlic is garlic you don't have to crush. Get some Very Lazy Garlic, job done. 51m8no1b1SL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

Yeah, but I've found those jars are just not the same. I get the violet garlic that has the really strong garlic flavour because I bloody love garlic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

This thread has taught me that there is a market in Galway which sells garlic crushers and expensive beer. It is also a place Enda Kenny is not welcome due to pro-life views.

This thread has taught me that there is a market in Galway which sells garlic crushers and expensive beer. It is also a place Enda Kenny is not welcome due to pro-life views.

to be fair, there were more protesters at the market than the pro-lifers. But yes, you are right about the garlic crushers and expensive beer. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I need to stay away from that French Bakery, I've eaten far too many Macaroons :o

I do prefer the layout this year, it's a big improvement. I was going to get coffee there, but there was nobody around that little blue coffee capsule, it was empty and this was around lunchtime. anyone else notice that?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭metroburgers

Really disappointed with the Roast Pork stand (The one with the Pig on display), Got the meal box at €8.50, it was quite tasteless and chewy, most annoying thing was the amount of fat still on meat (maybe 30%)... I could've just been unlucky, wedges were nice though, but defo not worth €8.50...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

swine wrote: »
    Great to see the usual brand of misery permeate the thread. If you don't want a pint at that price then stick to your cans of supermarket own brand beer down the arch - it's the cheapest in town.

One of the most idiotic and moronic posts I've ever read on Boards.

Making an observation on the overpriced cost of beer at the market doesn't equate to misery. Its simply identifying it for the rip off that it is.

And why the assumption that anyone who isn't willing to pay that price would rather drink cans down the arch?

Are you that narrow minded that you assume anyone objecting to paying over the odds must therefore stoop to street drinking rather enjoy a drink in one of the many pubs in the area?

As I said in my post, I will be going to the beer tent for a look while its here, but at those prices it will be a one off visit.

If their prices were more competitive I'd happily go more often.

But me and my money aren't that easily parted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I looked in the chalet type place and their gluhwein was 5.00 euro. But that seemed to be mixed with rum or something. Do they not sell normal cheap glasses of gluhwein ala Belgium/Germany where they sell for 1 euro?

Giruilla wrote: »
    I looked in the chalet type place and their gluhwein was 5.00 euro. But that seemed to be mixed with rum or something. Do they not sell normal cheap glasses of gluhwein ala Belgium/Germany where they sell for 1 euro?

1 Euro are you serious? Outside of supermarkets, I cant think of anything for sale in Galway that one Euro will buy.:pac:

1 Euro are you serious? Outside of supermarkets, I cant think of anything for sale in Galway that one Euro will buy.:pac:
    Do they not sell normal cheap glasses of gluhwein ala Belgium/Germany where they sell for 1 euro?

Sad to see people think 5.00 euro as an acceptable price for a small glass of gluhwein.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

There is a charge of .20c to take a pee in the public toilets in Eyre Square or just go to Supermac's for a free slash.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yesterday's scones in the Oven Door are generally 50-80c.

The Galway Sentienal costs about 70c.

A school-child bus fare on Bus Éireann is 85c (increasing to 90c this Sunday).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've been to several Xmas markets in Germany and it ain't 1 euro. 2.50 -3 usually and a deposit for the decorative mugs/glasses.

Yesterday's scones in the Oven Door are generally 50-80c.

The Galway Sentienal costs about 70c.

A school-child bus fare on Bus Éireann is 85c (increasing to 90c this Sunday).

Day old scones, a glorified parish news letter and a bus fare that practically everybody on boards would need a time machine to avail off.

I'm not living.

I've been to several Xmas markets in Germany and it ain't 1 euro. 2.50 -3 usually and a deposit for the decorative mugs/glasses.

So.. in a roundabout way the answer to my question is no the only gluhwein on sale is for 5.00 euro?

Well, I've been to a festival here and there and a size for this much cost blah blah blah who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I missed the smell of the Christmas Trees. :(

Much better layout than the past few years. Bought a few of those click heat things.

Going to the Manchester market next week for a day! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

So.. in a roundabout way the answer to my question is no the only gluhwein on sale is for 5.00 euro?

Well, I've been to a festival here and there and a size for this much cost blah blah blah who cares.

Exactly, who cares, people who want to spend a fiver can, those who dont wanna dont have to. A fiver for a small mulled wine is awful value but people will pay so the vendors will sell it.

Advertisement