Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

Lapin wrote: »
    One of the most idiotic and moronic posts I've ever read on Boards.

Making an observation on the overpriced cost of beer at the market doesn't equate to misery. Its simply identifying it for the rip off that it is.

And why the assumption that anyone who isn't willing to pay that price would rather drink cans down the arch?

Are you that narrow minded that you assume anyone objecting to paying over the odds must therefore stoop to street drinking rather enjoy a drink in one of the many pubs in the area?

As I said in my post, I will be going to the beer tent for a look while its here, but at those prices it will be a one off visit.

If their prices were more competitive I'd happily go more often.

But me and my money aren't that easily parted.

To be honest I don't think its a rip off. Its a festive market containing a beer tent telling beer which isn't available on tap any were else in the city, yes that awful paulaner weiss is available around the city but the octoberfest brew isn't.

They have a limited run so have to make more money, their costs are higher and the beer is quite a bit stronger than your average beer as anyone who has had a few will agree with me.

Its a one of thing of course it going to be a bit more expensive and also its not something you are going to do more than once or twice anyway so I don't see the problem in paying a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Exactly, who cares, people who want to spend a fiver can, those who dont wanna dont have to. A fiver for a small mulled wine is awful value but people will pay so the vendors will sell it.

Thanks for the enlightening economic lesson!

I was originally trying to establish whether the mulled wine for a fiver was some separate high valued mulled wine justified by a shot of rum being added, and whether they also sold cheap bucket filled mulled wine like is the norm in other countries.

Hilarious how Irish people have pride in affording to be ripped off!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Giruilla wrote: »
    Thanks for the enlightening economic lesson!

I was originally trying to establish whether the mulled wine for a fiver was some separate high valued mulled wine justified by a shot of rum being added, and whether they also sold cheap bucket filled mulled wine like is the norm in other countries.

Hilarious how Irish people have pride in affording to be ripped off!
    Hilarious alright, wheres the pride in being ripped off bit? Must have missed that bit, anyway sure offer them a euro, they might give you a drop or two or not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

This Rip Off talk is getting terribly dull, so lets drop it.

We get it, the market is more expensive in most instances than other establishments - that point has been hammered home.

If you do not like the prices at the market that's all well and good, but this isn't going to be your platform to preach about it to a wider audience - save your opinion(s) on the matter for friends and relatives.

Simply put, you cannot be ripped off if you spend your money as you like. Caveat emptor, people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Simply put, you cannot be ripped off if you spend your money as you like. Caveat emptor, people

That is not what caveat emptor refers to. :P

Heading over at the weekend to see the market. Roughly how much time would one spend in the market? An hour or two? Wondering abut getting the train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

yes that awful paulaner weiss is available around the city but the octoberfest brew isn't.

As to whether their weiss is awful or not is debatable. But the octoberfest (erdinger's is nice too) is lovely and festive to have on tap.

Someone else sensibly asked what's on tap to which the reply was "not much". Can someone post a definitive list?

Some would argue it is the single most important fact that could be posted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Giruilla wrote: »
    So.. in a roundabout way the answer to my question is no the only gluhwein on sale is for 5.00 euro?
    5.00 for gluhwein dies seem expensive but it's probably comparable to wine, any alcohol beverage in a pub.in Germany gov probably don't tax the bejasus on gluhwein. Here they probably do.

Re getting train to visit- if with kids you'd spend ages there (kids rides etc)
    If without kids and not sitting having a pint I don't think you'd spend an hour there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I easily spent an hour exploring .. could have made it longerif id had a few pints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Exactly, who cares, people who want to spend a fiver can, those who dont wanna dont have to. A fiver for a small mulled wine is awful value but people will pay so the vendors will sell it.

sure the vendors are paying huge rates for their space in the market while the lady organising it gets the fees for using the public square waived for some unknown reason ;)

she's the only one winning out of this years Galway christmas market fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Anyone buy the cream/ointment for ezcema and other skin conditions?
    Spotted it there yesterday but not shelling out if its just another usual moisture cream.

• Advertisement

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Anyone buy the cream/ointment for ezcema and other skin conditions?
    Spotted it there yesterday but not shelling out if its just another usual moisture cream.

This is on sale at the market? I think you're better off getting E45 and tackling your diet/health to clear that up.

newkie wrote: »
    As to whether their weiss is awful or not is debatable. But the octoberfest (erdinger's is nice too) is lovely and festive to have on tap.

Someone else sensibly asked what's on tap to which the reply was "not much". Can someone post a definitive list?

Some would argue it is the single most important fact that could be posted in this thread.

I probably wasn't clear in my post, the octoberfest is a lovey festive beer but I can't stand weiss beer hence my comment on the paulaner.

To answer your question the only beers on tap last year were octoberfest and paulaner weiss, I assume its the same this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I can't believe you lot spent how many pages talking nonsense about a microplane (garlic plate, wtf). You can buy them in Varden's or Ryan's or any catering shop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If only we had your words of wisdom earlier, dammit Seaneh you could have prevented this all happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Yeah but Come on Kids we're off to Tommy Vardens Catering Equipment outlet for a bit of Xmas shopping doesn't have the same buzz about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

was there last night and saw some lad fingering a young one:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

dinneenp wrote: »
    5.00 for gluhwein dies seem expensive but it's probably comparable to wine, any alcohol beverage in a pub.in Germany gov probably don't tax the bejasus on gluhwein. Here they probably do.

You get a shot of brandy or rum in it for your fiver though, so compared to the price of spirits in a pub it seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Tugboats wrote: »
    was there last night and saw some lad fingering a young one:eek:

He was just showing his appreciation for the garlic crusher she bought him for xmas :D

Links234 wrote: »
    You get a shot of brandy or rum in it for your fiver though, so compared to the price of spirits in a pub it seems reasonable.

I think the christmas market is expensive remarks have been done to death every year and are boring.

If you think it's too expensive laugh in their faces (for customer feedback) and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

1B33E769CF5F4C3A88DE98863BF3A4F1-0000324460-0003445164-00800L-07F91259882C4F3F82FA0A3D84B25318.jpg

828AEE84C6344FD9A8DFECEEEBBAC7E8-0000324460-0003445163-00800L-2CF0EE64AF7C41DBB7DB2195DD1414CE.jpg

C4CC718BD088430D89E7FE3B8206D3F3-0000324460-0003445162-00800L-66A2F61669CA4C0C99D2EF857F6E40F1.jpg

0FB6146CF0074266B31347A5183D64EA-0000324460-0003445161-00800L-EF77A2C0C830451B8683A8BF434457A5.jpg

A212EAE7EC4F4947868D3FABB0D0CC64-0000324460-0003445160-00800L-E4C7DBF245FF4BFD9677870196656884.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

They are fantastic pictures.

We have one of those candle powered cribs which we got at a German Christmas market years ago. It looks like the structure over the windmill house, but it is turned by the hot air from the candles causing the windmill blades to move. Unfortunately no one seems to sell them in the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Took my daughter and 4 other kids in this evening after a trip to the iceskating, yeah its expensive but the way I look at it, its a once yearly treat and the kids love it.
    I feel its really starting to hit its stride, much better laid out than other years, seemed to be far more interesting stalls (didnt get much of a browse due to the squad of weans!!) more room and just an overall more pleasant experience than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Got to it on Thursday. Still nothing special there for me but the layout is much improved. It is a lot more suitable for a family visit this year.

The beer tent was making a fortune at 8pm, the wine places not as busy but bigger margin on sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

The chimney cake is divine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Got to it on Thursday. Still nothing special there for me but the layout is much improved. It is a lot more suitable for a family visit this year.

yeah, the layout is way more inviting & less hectic and the vibe seems to be more chilled as a consequence... just nicer experience overall even if the stalls are the same

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

The chimney cake is divine.

I'm in love with the chimney cake. I really like it this year, well laid out, good variety of stands, I think the mulled wine etc is bit expensive but other than that it's very good. The first year I got mulled wine for €3, much more reasonable given the teeny glass of it you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Still a bit meh, but the layout is much better, and the place is more chill overall as someone mentioned. The 'shack' type bar selling mulled wine and hot chocolate had a bit of atmosphere and a band were playing. The beer tent was a tent, ;) and there was another (the usual?) mulled wine place further in.
    There is a stage for bands in the middle (they don't get paid apparently, so tip if you like them!). The famous garlic press/grater is a simply dish with bumps, like an old fashioned grater, but is pretty. Didn't sample the chimney cake but there was a huuuge queue.
    A couple of stallholders smoking in the tents while selling. Not great for business if customers have kids in tow lads! Although didn't stop some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Actually when I was queuing for chimney cake on Saturday there was awful, awful music blaring from that stage place. Really screechy children's voices singing Christmas songs. Everyone in the queue was kind of looking back to see where it was coming from. Then it ended....and a young boy very tunelessly played and sang Folsom Prison Blues :confused: "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die" were unusual lyrics to hear a child singing at a Christmas Market! It was really really bad background (not very background, was very loud) music for a busy day there, who is in charge of that thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Actually when I was queuing for chimney cake on Saturday there was awful, awful music blaring from that stage place. Really screechy children's voices singing Christmas songs. Everyone in the queue was kind of looking back to see where it was coming from. Then it ended....and a young boy very tunelessly played and sang Folsom Prison Blues :confused: "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die" were unusual lyrics to hear a child singing at a Christmas Market! It was really really bad background (not very background, was very loud) music for a busy day there, who is in charge of that thing?

I think it's the Galway Business association running it but not 100% sure. It was there last year too. They invite musicians, buskers etc (and I'm sure friends and their kids) to play on it. When I passed through there was a singer/songwriter guy in his 20s singing the usual cover stuff, he was grand. Nothing Christmassy that I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I have to say, I think the market looks gorgeous.
    I'm not in Ireland anymore so I'm only going by photos but it's nice to have something like that in Galway.
    I wish it was there when I lived there. Hoping it returns next year as I plan to come home for Christmas.

Nice to see something positive, prices debate aside, and beautiful in my hometown. :)

Advertisement