Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

I have to say, I think the market looks gorgeous.
    I'm not in Ireland anymore so I'm only going by photos but it's nice to have something like that in Galway.
    I wish it was there when I lived there. Hoping it returns next year as I plan to come home for Christmas.

Nice to see something positive, prices debate aside, and beautiful in my hometown. :)

there damn all positivity for most when the market is priced out of their range!! if the lady that runs the market paid her fees, didn't rip the businesses off for having stals and that way the prices were reasonable then even i would love to go down there once a week and spend a little but until things change there so many cannot and will not afford to buy anything there, great for some yes but that's no way to run anything

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

there damn all positivity for most when the market is priced out of their range!! if the lady that runs the market paid her fees, didn't rip the businesses off for having stals and that way the prices were reasonable then even i would love to go down there once a week and spend a little but until things change there so many cannot and will not afford to buy anything there, great for some yes but that's no way to run anything

Can you elaborate more about this or back up with facts? Until then it's nothing but slander

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Cant wait to see it, lived in Galway 2 years ago and went to the market and thought it was great. Going back again to see it this year, a far better market than the one in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

K.C wrote: »
    Cant wait to see it, lived in Galway 2 years ago and went to the market and thought it was great. Going back again to see it this year, a far better market than the one in Dublin.

That's the thing, some people will whinge at anything and everything.

Galway market is one of only a few in the country, draws loads of tourists and has a general positive affect on the city atmosphere. Dublin Christmas market for example runs for only 11days this year(that's only 2weekends for tourists to visit).

Park up at the racecourse and take the cheap and frequent bus to and from the city, stroll down shop street and through the Christmas market. Nice stress free day. You can't beat Galway!

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Can you elaborate more about this or back up with facts? Until then it's nothing but slander

it's only slander if it's not true ;)

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/64499/christmas-market-gets-go-ahead-with-20000-use-of-park-fee-waived

Worth €15 million to the local economy Galway’s Continental Christmas Market was given due recognition for its contribution this week with city councillors giving unanimous approval to the granting of a licence to hold the event again this year as well as waiving the €20,000 fee for the use of Kennedy Park.

It was also announced at Monday’s city council meeting that free on-street parking in the city centre will be provided from Monday, November 4 to Friday, November 29. The Park and Ride iniative will also take place in conjuction with the Christmas Market which will be held from Friday November 22 to Sunday December 22.

“The Christmas market has brought a fantastic buzz to the city, it should be commended,” said Cllr Peter Keane, who then put forward a motion calling for the market to proceed in accordance with the advice of the planning section, except for the recommendation that the operator pay a fee of €20,000 which should be struck out. He added that this was “in recognition of the contribution it has made to the city”.

https://www.facebook.com/GalwayAdvertiser/posts/10151925969076941

Vicky O'Brien The first year of the Christmas Market, my 4.5meter by 3 meter stall costs me EUR3000 and included electricity. This year, a non-food stall of comparable size (5meter by 2meter) is EUR8241 (!!!) and electricity is EXTRA (around another EUR500 or so)! Food stalls are over EUR11,000 plus electricity! And accommodation in Galway is NOT cheap. There's no way I could afford to trade there anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Thats hugely exploitative and very disappointing if true. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

it's only slander if it's not true ;)

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/64499/christmas-market-gets-go-ahead-with-20000-use-of-park-fee-waived

Worth €15 million to the local economy Galway’s Continental Christmas Market was given due recognition for its contribution this week with city councillors giving unanimous approval to the granting of a licence to hold the event again this year as well as waiving the €20,000 fee for the use of Kennedy Park.

It was also announced at Monday’s city council meeting that free on-street parking in the city centre will be provided from Monday, November 4 to Friday, November 29. The Park and Ride iniative will also take place in conjuction with the Christmas Market which will be held from Friday November 22 to Sunday December 22.

“The Christmas market has brought a fantastic buzz to the city, it should be commended,” said Cllr Peter Keane, who then put forward a motion calling for the market to proceed in accordance with the advice of the planning section, except for the recommendation that the operator pay a fee of €20,000 which should be struck out. He added that this was “in recognition of the contribution it has made to the city”.

https://www.facebook.com/GalwayAdvertiser/posts/10151925969076941

Vicky O'Brien The first year of the Christmas Market, my 4.5meter by 3 meter stall costs me EUR3000 and included electricity. This year, a non-food stall of comparable size (5meter by 2meter) is EUR8241 (!!!) and electricity is EXTRA (around another EUR500 or so)! Food stalls are over EUR11,000 plus electricity! And accommodation in Galway is NOT cheap. There's no way I could afford to trade there anymore.
    I know for a fact that a local entrepreneur was offered a food stall, the cost was 6000, a lot less than the figure you've quoted.

I know for a fact that a local entrepreneur was offered a food stall, the cost was 6000, a lot less than the figure you've quoted.

ok, so are you calling Vicky a lier? I've asked her to weigh in here to clarify the quotes and maybe provide some documentary evidence if she can. Was that €6000 quote you heard about with or without electricity?

What size stall was the local entrepreneur offered. Can you not see that even if the quote you're saying is for same size stall as Vicky mentions, they are at minimum 100 - 166% more expensive to rent this year and that's even before you pay for electricity. :eek:

All this while the whole sq is being used this year. Surely with more stalls and bigger space to boot she could have afforded to spread some Christmas cheer, and pass some of her huge extra profits that she got for "nothing" back to the stall owners, and they in turn could pass a little onto those who are struggling still after 5 long years of damn austerity! Are we doomed to live forever more in rip-off culture Ireland.

I call serious shenanigans on this whole caper and pity the stall owners. Stories like the profits made at the first Ocean Race we have not come close to hearing about out of these few Xmas markets and it's only getting harder for everyone involved but one person. :pac:

ok, so are you calling Vicky a lier? I've asked her to weigh in here to clarify the quotes and maybe provide some documentary evidence if she can. Was that €6000 quote you heard about with or without electricity?

What size stall was the local entrepreneur offered. Can you not see that even if the quote you're saying is for same size stall as Vicky mentions, they are at minimum 100 - 166% more expensive to rent this year and that's even before you pay for electricity. :eek:

All this while the whole sq is being used this year. Surely with more stalls and bigger space to boot she could have afforded to spread some Christmas cheer, and pass some of her huge extra profits that she got for "nothing" back to the stall owners, and they in turn could pass a little onto those who are struggling still after 5 long years of damn austerity! Are we doomed to live forever more in rip-off culture Ireland.

I call serious shenanigans on this whole caper and pity the stall owners. Stories like the profits made at the first Ocean Race we have not come close to hearing about out of these few Xmas markets and it's only getting harder for everyone involved but one person. :pac:
    Im sure different stalls were charged different amounts based on what they could bring to the table. As for the rest of the post, well its just political nonsense for a different forum so i aint getting involved, especially as the mods have already asked for an end to the rip-off talk in the thread.

If you cant afford €1.50 for a macaroon, or €3 for a chimney cake, or €2-3 for a Xmas ornament from the nuns then dont go there. If you feel so strongly on the issue then contact the person running it and see what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I know that's how it started but please refrain from bringing this thread down with the economics of it.
    If you can't afford a chimney cake or a mulled wine, just go and have a look anyway.

Pleasant has already given a warning about it.
    I am giving the last one.
    If you want to discuss the money aspect of it then go do it somewhere where you won't drag everyone else's festive mood down.
    Let keep this thread on the products and fun of it all from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The chimney cake is divine.

They are nice but nothing compared to the Kürtőskalács you can get in Hungary nom nom ...still though I had three over the weekend lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

So what are this years must haves?
    • Chimney cake
    • A garlic crusher
    • And Oktoberfest beer, obviously

Im sure different stalls were charged different amounts based on what they could bring to the table. As for the rest of the post, well its just political nonsense for a different forum so i aint getting involved, especially as the mods have already asked for an end to the rip-off talk in the thread.

If you cant afford €1.50 for a macaroon, or €3 for a chimney cake, or €2-3 for a Xmas ornament from the nuns then dont go there. If you feel so strongly on the issue then contact the person running it and see what they have to say.

so, some people were offerd stalls for 6000, others over 8000 depending on "what they brought to the table", i love this country, the whole market is an economic endevour, plain and simple, dress it up how ya like but whe ya get Enda Kenny down to launch it and turn on the lights flanked either side by P.C and Hilda that turned the market into a political machine for all to see and boost the local fine gael candidates for next years local elections (alright for some to derail the spirit of the market but don't dare point it out) and i'm sure they paid well for the PR ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's the month that's in it that's special. are we doomed to forever deny that we still live in a rip off culture? it may look nice and pretty but at the heart of it are the stall owners sweating to make a profit for themselves, they didn't invest to soley come and spread Christmas cheer and could always sell a lot more stock if they were keener priced. I wish for this country to sell twice as much for half the price and not the other way around that continues even after 5 years recession. please don't insult me by posting the fact ya could buy a coffee down there for €2 or whatever and that those of us still broke should just suck it up because some of us can still afford to be ripped off.

so, some people were offerd stalls for 6000, others over 8000 depending on "what they brought to the table", i love this country, the whole market is an economic endevour, plain and simple, dress it up how ya like but whe ya get Enda Kenny down to launch it and turn on the lights flanked either side by P.C and Hilda that turned the market into a political machine for all to see and boost the local fine gael candidates for next years local elections (alright for some to derail the spirit of the market but don't dare point it out) and i'm sure they paid well for the PR ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's the month that's in it that's special. are we doomed to forever deny that we still live in a rip off culture? it may look nice and pretty but at the heart of it are the stall owners sweating to make a profit for themselves, they didn't invest to soley come and spread Christmas cheer and could always sell a lot more stock if they were keener priced. I wish for this country to sell twice as much for half the price and not the other way around that continues even after 5 years recession. please don't insult me by posting the fact ya could buy a coffee down there for €2 or whatever and that those of us still broke should just suck it up because some of us can still afford to be ripped off.
    So you're saying the garlic crusher shouldn't be on the must have list?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Renegademaster did you even read the mod warning??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

renegademaster banned, and banned from thread until 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

whats this garlic crusher talk.....is there actually garlic crushers for sale?

Are they good/worth getting......I need an easy clean garlic crusher

Please advise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

So what are this years must haves?

You nearly had it. Fixed:
    • Corn dogs
    • Chimney cake
    • A garlic crusher

newkie wrote: »
    You nearly had it. Fixed:
    • Corn dogs
    • Chimney cake
    • A garlic crusher
    • Apple cake from the French bakery, unreal.

Fixed again

]Right so:
    • Chimney cake
    • Corn dog
    • Apple cake

Is that macroon stall there this year? The smallish one that was on a corner beside the steps on the north east side perhaps. They were pretty tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Is that macroon stall there this year? The smallish one that was on a corner beside the steps on the north east side perhaps. They were pretty tasty.
    I'm actually eating one right now. Raspberry for the win!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I believe it is, I've seen someone on facebook saying they've gotten some macroons every time they've gone to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

Anyone know what time the beer tent closes on the last day (22nd)?

I seem to remember it closing early previous years.

We are heading out for our staff party that night and thinking of heading there to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There's a nice little story on Galway Business Association fb tonight from the Galway Market. The Christmas spirit alive and well here although I thought it was unfair to highlight businesses that didn't hand over stuff for free,after all the child could've been given a fiver. Still it was nice of the man who did help the kid out!

1458475_676847219016765_1730290102_n.jpg

The Market is featured on Nationwide on RTE tonight too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Sounds like a planted story, good bit of advertisement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I didn't see the macarons stand, I did however eat lots of macaroons. Careful of the difference. If the macaron stand is there I want some, where is it? Been there twice and never saw it.

cowlove wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the beer tent closes on the last day (22nd)?

I seem to remember it closing early previous years.

We are heading out for our staff party that night and thinking of heading there to start.

I just hope they don't run out of octoberfest, I was there on the 8th last year and back on either the last or 2nd last day and they had run out. Won't get there till the 21st this year so Hope stock levels are good!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

They have Babaro arts and crafts stuff at the weekend in the stage area. Free. Nice to have that. Ibwoukd have thought that every inch would be used as a commercial space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sounds like a planted story, good bit of advertisement.

Do people have to be so cynical.
    I believe it as to me many of these stalls have no spirit of xmas only a spirit of overcharging.
    It says a lot really when most of the stalls would not give a poor 5 year old something for his sisters birthday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

There's a nice little story on Galway Business Association fb tonight from the Galway Market. The Christmas spirit alive and well here although I thought it was unfair to highlight businesses that didn't hand over stuff for free,after all the child could've been given a fiver. Still it was nice of the man who did help the kid out!

1458475_676847219016765_1730290102_n.jpg

The Market is featured on Nationwide on RTE tonight too.

I find it hard to believe that story. Would a mother really get a 5 year old child's hopes up and send them into a collection of shops with 22c and stand behind them several times as they try to buy something only to rejected each time at each stalls? Sounds cruel to me

Advertisement