Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Been to any abroad? Or any good ones?

Yes, in Ireland and abroad but that would be off topic, no less, irrelevant to this forum,yes?:)

I think this thread is heavily weighted towards people speaking only good about this market which is a shame really as only criticism is going to improve things. I agree with some of the earlier posters in the thread- the first couple of years were OK but quality has been absent over the last couple of years, especially this year. This is not the Christmas forum- if a market is bad then I think we should be allowed say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yes, in Ireland and abroad but that would be off topic, no less, irrelevant to this forum,yes?:)

I think this thread is heavily weighted towards people speaking only good about this market which is a shame really as only criticism is going to improve things. I agree with some of the earlier posters in the thread- the first couple of years were OK but quality has been absent over the last couple of years, especially this year. This is not the Christmas forum- if a market is bad then I think we should be allowed say so.

There is good and bad at the market but overall in comparison to anything else in Ireland its good, its not comparable to a German market but thats a cultural thing as much as anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

There is good and bad at the market but overall in comparison to anything else in Ireland its good, its not comparable to a German market but thats a cultural thing as much as anything.

I never compared it to a German market :confused:

I never compared it to a German market :confused:

No but youve said its basically cack, youve been to some abroad and in Ireland so im assuming you are comparing Galway's to these other ones, comparison warranted therefore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

No but youve said its basically cack, youve been to some abroad and in Ireland so im assuming you are comparing Galway's to these other ones, comparison warranted therefore.

I've been to markets in Europe and Ireland and the one in Galway is cack in my opinion even when you consider lots of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Last week, I visited Chester in England - a city of about the same population as Galway (70k). Our Christmas market leaves theirs for dead. Comparing Galway to Manchester to large German cities is nuts.

And I don't think there's any rule about saying critical things about ours. The way I read the mods' instruction was to leave off criticising it for being too expensive. I don't see any rules saying "no criticism" - and especially not "no constructive criticism".

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The market has been great for Galway. It brings people in. People who don't like it shouldn't keep revisiting it, if only to confirm that they don't like it. I've been to it twice this year and I intend to go there again before it concludes.

Last week, I visited Chester in England - a city of about the same population as Galway (70k). Our Christmas market leaves theirs for dead. Comparing Galway to Manchester to large German cities is nuts.

And I don't think there's any rule about saying critical things about ours. The way I read the mods' instruction was to leave off criticising it for being too expensive. I don't see any rules saying "no criticism" - and especially not "no constructive criticism".
    I was comparing it to Lamballe. A town in Brittany of approximately 12000 people and that leaves the Galway market for dead. The Chester market must be absolutely awful if the Galway one is so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I think this thread is heavily weighted towards people speaking only good about this market which is a shame really as only criticism is going to improve things.

You're free to speak your mind but a number of the criticisms (high prices) have been repeated over and over and consistently drag the thread off topic.

If you have something new to say then by all means say it. Simply stating it is crap isn't exactly the same as helpful criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Finally got a look around this afternoon, its presence certainly adds to the Christmas atmosphere in the town anyway.

I tried one of the famous chimney cakes - taste lovely and the banter at the stall was great while we there. ( Top tip: I do not recommend eating while wearing a black coat....)

Got some macaroons too, will be having them with a cuppa shortly

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've never heard of chimney cakes before. Just looked up pictures.

Are they very sweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I wouldn't consider them very sweet but I suppose one persons sweet is another's very sweet.

The macaroons on the other hand are Very Sweet imo

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭popepaisley1

my missus works a lot of the craft markets around the place. christmas is one of the better times of year for her. she has noticed the last few years, since the eyre sq xmas market has been around, that a lot these markets have gotten alot quieter. it is a great lure for people away from these more locally focused markets.

she would love to do this chrismas market, but it is still way to expensive for her (and she does ok!!) or for your average crafter, who mostly work on their own.

we haven't been down it this year but, going by other years, there is an absence of locally produced crafts, certainly not the level of local, handmade crafts that you would in at st nicholas' market. it does a great job of bringing people into town, bringing good festive cheer and herding the crowds towards the shops. as a showcase for local talent it falls flat on its face.

its a real double whammy. a market that she would love to do, but could never afford the price of it, and with the exposure it gets, it affects her business at the markets she can afford to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Has anyone any idea what time the beer tent will be open until on Saturday 21st? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'm wondering if the beer tent will be open tonight if a forecast of force 10 or 11 winds are to be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Looking forward to seeing it on Saturday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

just a quick update folks: due to weather conditions the xmas market has temporarily moved to Kinvara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

that video is great, it's here as well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdk9vz5cUlI
    was it done using a quadcopter drone?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

donfers wrote: »
    just a quick update folks: due to weather conditions the xmas market has temporarily moved to Kinvara

Really???

• Advertisement

Nah, the wind took 'em out to Athenry instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Really???

Gust of wind.............. Whoosh.

Really???

Your sarcasm detector is also in south Galway i see.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Your sarcasm detector is also in south Galway i see.;)

Haha... I'm obviously having an off night.
    *hangs head in shame* :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

amiable wrote: »
    I was comparing it to Lamballe. A town in Brittany of approximately 12000 people and that leaves the Galway market for dead. The Chester market must be absolutely awful if the Galway one is so much better

It sure looks disgusting alright ;)

http://www.google.com/search?q=chester+christmas+market&client=ms-android-samsung&hl=en&gl=ie&source=android-browser-type&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ajazUoe_JMak7Qa1_4CQCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=427&bih=295&dpr=0.75

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭cailinardthair

I think the Christmas market hasn't improved since Frist year, the food is lovely if a tiny bit expensive, but on the craft side I thought there more....I would love more home made decorations stalls, bring some of the crafts people up from St. Nicolas Market. The first year was great but it hasn't improved in my option except for the mulled wine and carousal!

Ahh, let me give you a little hint about how google search works.

Firstly, image-searching for christmas+market+chester also brings back some photos from manchester

Second it also brings back some photos from other chester+christmas events, including the fair at the racecourse, entry fee a fiver (quid) for adults and 12 for families. Quite a different beast.

The 2013 free Chester town-square market has something in common with only a very small range of the photos you showed.

Ahh, let me give you a little hint about how google search works.

Firstly, image-searching for christmas+market+chester also brings back some photos from manchester

Second it also brings back some photos from other chester+christmas events, including the fair at the racecourse, entry fee a fiver (quid) for adults and 12 for families. Quite a different beast.

The 2013 free Chester town-square market has something in common with only a very small range of the photos you showed.
    Galway's market is still a poor market in my opinion in comparison to numerous towns I've visited in Europe.
    It appears to me some are a little over protective of it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

amiable wrote: »
    Galway's market is still a poor market in my opinion in comparison to numerous towns I've visited in Europe.
    It appears to me some are a little over protective of it

won't somebody please think of the children!! for god's sake :pac:

Advertisement