Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I think the Christmas market hasn't improved since Frist year, the food is lovely if a tiny bit expensive, but on the craft side I thought there more....I would love more home made decorations stalls, bring some of the crafts people up from St. Nicolas Market. The first year was great but it hasn't improved in my option except for the mulled wine and carousal!
    amiable wrote: »
    Galway's market is still a poor market in my opinion in comparison to numerous towns I've visited in Europe.
    It appears to me some are a little over protective of it

I think there's a few of us on this thread who can see the potential of this market in helping local, Irish based crafts and industries- it's disappointing that it hasn't reached anywhere like its potential especially after a few years of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I think there's a few of us on this thread who can see the potential of this market in helping local, Irish based crafts and industries- it's disappointing that it hasn't reached anywhere like its potential especially after a few years of running.

You say that as if I'm not able to see the potential. It's got to a stage where the market needs to start fulfilling it's potential though.

I genuinely can't see why anyone would drive to it from a distance.
    The Market that is in Limerick every Saturday Morning throughout the year is not a continental market but a better market in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

amiable wrote: »
    You say that as if I'm not able to see the potential. It's got to a stage where the market needs to start fulfilling it's potential though.

I genuinely can't see why anyone would drive to it from a distance.
    The Market that is in Limerick every Saturday Morning throughout the year is not a continental market but a better market in general.

No, I was actually agreeing with you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Whats the pulled pork likke this year :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Beer tent could do with turning down the atrocious music. Seriously, the stuff of nightmares.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, I found the music far too loud when I was there, and what was played was for the most part awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

sure it's all over on Sunday (if not before with the weather). Back to the normal market after that (which is way way better imho).

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Went in there last night, it was so obnoxiously loud we turned around and walked out. The place was heaving though so clearly there's a lot of people it doesn't bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I thought we were not allowed diss the morket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

snubbleste wrote: »

Only newspeak allowed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

snubbleste wrote: »

Didnt know Salthill had one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Didnt know Salthill had one?
    Salthill East

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

So seriously, where are the fecking churros?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Seaneh wrote: »

Not there...

Seaneh wrote: »

Spain and Portugal it would seem.

Cava have great churros! I got them there the night I realised they weren't at the market, like the lies on boards had led me to believe :p

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

La Salsa on Mary Street do amazing churros.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

hi folks,

tried to go the beer house in the market but it was packed out. so went to O'Connells for 1-2 pints, was still packed out when i tried again (30+ waiting to get in, i do realise it was the last sat before christmas). had a very nice bagel before motoring on to other venues.

The Staff i was talking to said the weather has affect business a lot over the last week.It was nice night but very cold at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

La Salsa on Mary Street do amazing churros.

What lasalsa do are not churros they are nachos covered in sugar and cinnamon. Churros are more like cinnamon flavored doughnuts that you dip in Choclate sauce (they aren't really like doughnuts but can't think of anything more similar)

What lasalsa do are not churros they are nachos covered in sugar and cinnamon. Churros are more like cinnamon flavored doughnuts that you dip in Choclate sauce (they aren't really like doughnuts but can't think of anything more similar)

Spot on with the description, kinda chewier than doughnuts id say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Beer tent could do with turning down the atrocious music. Seriously, the stuff of nightmares.
    I'm used to metal concerts and the only time I was in there it was too much for me, I just had to leave, it was an incredibly uncomfortable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Sounds amazing!!

La Salsa's thing sounds horrific. Mmm now I want churros.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

La Salsa's thing sounds horrific. Mmm now I want churros.

They actually taste Ok. Just the fact they call them churros annoys me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

anybody got anything to say about the state of eyre sq after the traders pulled out and left the whole sq in a state of disarray??

Nm, renegademaster banned from forum again for posting in thread they were banned from
    biko wrote: »
    renegademaster banned, and banned from thread until 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you?

Edit: Nm, poster banned from thread previously. My bad for not remembering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

biko wrote: »
    Do you?

yes

why did the council not charge the fees for using the square so it can be repaired afterwards?????

remember the damage the occupy was apparently doing to the corner of eyre sq yet when the camp was dismantled it was like it was never there that same day, take a walk around eyre sq now and see the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

yes

why did the council not charge the fees for using the square so it can be repaired afterwards?????

remember the damage the occupy was apparently doing to the corner of eyre sq yet when the camp was dismantled it was like it was never there that same day, take a walk around eyre sq now and see the difference

Spot the difference - the results of an apparently illegal "camp" on concrete vs a market covering concrete and grass at a time of year when there is little/no grass growth.

Yes the council took fees, among other things for the restoration of the space afterwards. However it does not automatically follow that it will immediately look like it was on the first on November, especially as the council have other things to worry about right now, such as the damage caused be the recent series of storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It's a bit of grass, which will grow once the weather picks up.

Doesn't impede on the place as no one will be sitting (never mind walking through) on the grass this time of year as it'd be sopping wet.

Infact, the grass which wasn't covered is really long and due a cut. So if a dry day was found and the whole place was cut, it'd look fine again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The market added something to the city for the Christmas period, contributed to a decent atmosphere and enabled small traders to make a few bucks and get their names out there.

The Occupy camp closed off a corner of the square near its most popular attraction (the fountain) for close on 9 months, left it in a state when they were moved on and, IMO, contributed absolutely nothing to Galway.

Yeah...

Advertisement