Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croagh Patrick climb in Winter

Options
  • 17-10-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm thinking of climbing Croagh Patrick with some friends but the only time we can do it is in November. What's people's experiences here of climbing CP in the Winter? Would it not be worth the misery of the low temps and probable wetness or should we go for it and see!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It’s fine and I’ve done it during winter. It’s colder and you usually don’t have the same view you’ll have in the summer as it’s usually misty or cloudy. You have to head off earlier too as it gets darker earlier. Keep an eye on the weather forecast and if it’s lashing rain give it a skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

The Sea2Summit takes place on Sat Nov 9th so avoid that day if you can. Bring a flask with something hot for when you get to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Great! I know the views and the walk may be less than what they could be in Summer but it's either November or never for these friends from overseas. Good to see it's possible anyway!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Plenty of clear days in winter too, these days the view from the top are excellent, outside of a few hours in the early morning where we had fog its been georgous most of the days this week..

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Climbed it yesterday myself, was a great day and the view was brilliant, have climbed it many times over the winter months and it's grand to do, some days may be cold but can still be clear, the weather will keep you cool as well so you won't be sweating like mad, when it's very windy and rainy it can be a bit of a slog but still enjoyable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Climbed it last October. Bathed in fog, could see nothing from the top, still loved the experience though. Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jackruby

Climbed it in early November. Tried to jog it but only managed a brisk hike due to terrain of rubble and boulders . Up in 54 mins and down in 34 mins . Really gave it all . In my late 40's but fit . It's a monster challange to anyone one of any age so respect to all that complete it . Gets cold on top so bring hot drink and layers to change on and off on the way. Soup and sandwich in the pub at the bottom followed by pint of Guinness was memorable ! Good luck !

Advertisement