Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flight refund on medical grounds (or at least the tax back)?

• 17-10-2013 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I booked a flight for my mother months ago for a trip to Spain with Aer Lingus. She was scheduled to go next Monday, but had a hip replacement done on Tuesday and is obviously now not able to fly. It was a standard economy flight, so no changes etc., allowed. I was just wondering if it was possible to get the money refunded due to it being a medical issue, or at least get the tax back as she wasn't able to take up the flight? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How did the replacement suddenly come about?
    Surely she would have been aware of it for a number of months or weeks at the very least?

I don't see how you'd be entitled to a refund given its something that would be have arranged long in advance, also its really been left until the last min,.

Have you checked the Terms & Conditions you agreed to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

As I said, it was booked months ago, at the time we didn't know she would need a hip replacement. When it was diagnosed, her original schedule meant that she would have had the operation over before the flight but it was delayed at the last minute and only went ahead this week.

I haven't gone back to read the terms and conditions yet, was just wondering if anyone had experienced a similar situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This is what travel insurance is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

blastman wrote: »
    . I was just wondering if it was possible to get the money refunded due to it being a medical issue, or at least get the tax back as she wasn't able to take up the flight? Any advice appreciated.

Air Travel Tax

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/leaflets/air-travel-tax-faqs.html

This tax is 3 euro per passenger.

It's a lot of hassle to reclaim 3 euro tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

ardmacha wrote: »

True but lots of polices won't quote for a pre-existing condition or retrospectively . At best the OP can claim the taxes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - ring Aer Lingus and speak to them. At the very least you are entitled to taxes and airport charges back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I think you are entitled to taxes and charges back less an administration fee, but will loss the cost of the flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Geuze wrote: »
    Air Travel Tax

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/leaflets/air-travel-tax-faqs.html

This tax is 3 euro per passenger.

It's a lot of hassle to reclaim 3 euro tax.

Geuze, when cancelling a flight, you're entitled to all taxes and charges, not just the air travel tax. Each airport has different taxes, so the exact amount varies - Dublin is around €40 for example. There is a refund admin fee of €20 each way. So if you were flying Dublin - Madrid, and the Dub taxes were €40, and the Madrid taxes were €50, then your refund would be (40+50 - 20 - 20) = €50

OP, cancellation info is here:
    http://www.aerlingus.com/help/help/manageyourbooking/#d.en.1605
    The original booking will show the taxes/charges applied, so you can decide if it's worth it.
    ardmacha wrote: »
    Absolutely, though a hip replacement may count as a pre-existing condition. OP, give your travel insurance a try as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I don't hold out much hope for your chances but at the very least cancel the flight rather than let it go to just a no show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

Ring customer services and also get a letter from the hospital. I have got credit for two flights for my mum in the last 14 months as both occasions she was hospitilized and couldnt fly. We had to write a letter explaining the situation, enclosing the hospital letter and we mentioned the family always fly with them, great service, loyal customer etc .

Dont apply for a refund on taxes online until youve spoken to them

Aer Lingus were very helpful and gave a voucher for the flight costs to be used at a later date by any body not just mum, I was very impressed with them

edit - we cancelled the flight beforehand rather than not just show up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My issue is over the use of the word tax.

A tax is paid to central or local Govt.

What people are calling taxes here are really "airport charges".

Dublin airport 40 tax - this should be described as: "Dublin airport fees/charges of 37 euro, plus a tax of 3 euro."

Advertisement