Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AN Post - I can't compete!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

There are no discounts for Staff postage within An Post.

Nothing at all? Ouch! Imagine telling Dublin Bus drivers they can't ride the bus for free any more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP cant be that many siblings in Portlaoise, public forum and all that.

I say send something for €1.20 and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

On the face of it, the price paid/weight/dimesions stink to the high heavens. The coincidence that they have direct connections inside the sorting office is rather too much of a "coincidence", I have never liked coincidence to expalin the ultimate unlikely event!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

BarryM3 wrote: »
    Send a couple of test ones at at €1.20 yourself and see what happens?

You can send them for €1.20 all day long and they'll get delivered. What's meant to happen is the person receiving the package is meant to be charged for the shortfall when it's delivered. That rarely happens though and the packets usually get delivered.
    Maybe op's competition is just exploiting the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

This doesn't sound like a staff discount to me, it sounds more like someone defrauding their employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You can send them for €1.20 all day long and they'll get delivered. What's meant to happen is the person receiving the package is meant to be charged for the shortfall when it's delivered. That rarely happens though and the packets usually get delivered.
    Maybe op's competition is just exploiting the above.

That would explain a lot. The one place you are going to pick up on this quickly is when working at a sorting office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Looking for some advice. I started up a business selling online (registered last month for tax etc) so its all above board. Got myself an accountant also.

Anyway, the product I sell is popular all over Facebook, which is not a problem.

My main competition has a FB page and sells loads. BUT works for An Post so is able to send out the items for a FRACTION of the price I can. Where it would cost me €6.50, they post for around a euro. They work in the Portlaoise sorting office so stick whatever stamp they feel like on it (sometimes less)

I know this as my friend is friend's with their son and I bought an item off them to check. Exact same item. I went to the PO and it was €6.50 for me. Their stamp was around €1.20. They post 10-15 a week.

What is the best way to target this? Do you think An Post would give me that price if I sold the volume?

Wow that's a bloody shame, trying to make a go off things and you come up against that!!! I doubt there's anything you can do about it, use to sell a few wee goods online myself,so I know how important it is to keep costs down, 'pile them high and sell them cheap', everyone's motto now.... Anyway your particular scenario would be most sellers worst nightmare! Good Luck.
    Ps.. why don't you order one from him and keep it as evidence, and go ahead with your 1.20€ shipping!!

Advertisement