Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food to hide cat meds in?

• 17-10-2013 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

Jeez, my second thread today:) Felix is on to his 2nd week of antibiotics. I managed to sneak them into him in tuna in brine and tinned red salmon for 7 days but now but he's bored and suspicious so I need some sneaky tips for other foods to hide them in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I had to give tablets to a dog that rejected everything except peanut butter. I let my cats lick the peanut butter off my fingers when he'd finished, and they both loved it, so might be worth a try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Liver paste is something else. You can get a cat and a dog one though i don't know whats the difference except one is pink cover and the others green!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Pate (duck, chicken etc.) can work, other options is also antihair pastes / salmon pastes (one of our cats go nuts and will do tricks for that paste).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've used bits of cooked chicken before, just kind of stick the stuff into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Low low soft cheese triangles, we always use that and no one has ever refused a tablet! We also got this stuff on zoo plus, it's a pate in a tube made specifically for cats and that's great too, though one of my cats doesn't like it so we stick to the cheese for him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

I usually crush their pills in a little butter, they lick it from my finger ..and pills get taken on time and in full. Never fails with my two. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I remember back a few years ago I used put a finger down inside the mouth of my cat and drop the tablet in (thats how we were told to do it). He would swallow eventually, but was pretty good at spitting it out.
    After the hardships of that method we would grind up the tablet into powder and mix in with some tasty food. They're clever ****er$ though, and would be suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I grind it up to a fine powder and hide it in the juice of tinned fish for him and thats been working well but now hes bored and suspicious. He's more of a fish and chicken chap, but I'll try him with some dairy without the pills to see how it goes. I've tried baby food in the past but no success, the pate is worth a try too.

Poor chap his ear has been a problem all his life I'd say. If only whoever had him before us had taken him to a vet he may not have had all this hassle with his ear. He was only about a year old when he arrived to us and by that stage it had grown down through his ear, so he'd to have his jaw opened in surgery to get at it. The problem is the vet will never be able to get all of it:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Crush the tablets as much as possible into wet food and heat the wet food very briefly in the microwave. The food will smell even stronger and the cat shouldn't notice the smell or taste of the tablets.
    A tip given to me by our local vet recently!

Advertisement