Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A walk in the park - DON DON DON..................ADEA 50km

Options
  • 17-10-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Oh dear - I appear to have signed up for an Ultramarathon :eek:

What's that you say? - It's non-refundable
    What's that you say? - There's a five hour cut off time
    What's that you say? - I've publicly commited to my first Ultra event off of limited mileage and there's no turning back

Oh well. I'd better get on with it then :)

Goal: Finish the Donadea 50km on 15th Feb 2014 in approx 4:30.
    Background: Time and energy pressed back of pack runner / jogger, aged 45.

Currently worked up to approx 50km p.w. with a long run of 15km. I commute a lot so there'll be various references to running to/from the train station, plus the odd group track session thrown in for variety and of course the obligatory weekend long run (which will sometimes happen mid-week due to family commitments :rolleyes:). I'll be following a rough plan but I'll have to roll with the punches week by week depending on what life is throwing at me.

Its 17 weeks from this Saturday so hopefully I'll start clocking up the miles steadily from now on. Any advice always welcome but hopefully it'll just be a walk in the park (but running) :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Best of luck man. I did it this year in or around that time. The laps are a good and bad thing :), I'll say no more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Sunday 20/10/13 Long slow run. 20k @ 5:25/km. 1:48. Gorgeous run on a beautiful afternoon.

Monday 21/10/13 8km easy commute run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

No bother to you - you are an Ironman!

Best of luck - great race and perfect for popping the Ultra cherry....

Izoard wrote: »
    No bother to you - you are an Ironman!.

Shhhhhh :-)

Tues 22/10/13 Track session. 10+min easy run warm up. 15min stretching / strides. 6x3min off 1min rest. 3:55 -> 3:45/km pace. Happy with that and avoided the heavy rain for the bonus. No time for warm down though as kids waiting.

Wed 23/10/13 8km easy commute run 0:43:45. 1km hard on reverse leg when my lift got stuck in traffic and I abandoned it for a dash to the quays and an emergency bus to Heuston followed by 200m sprint to the furthest platform. Made train by skin of my teeth. Hoorah!

• Advertisement

Thurs 24/10/13 UL Boat Club Winter Run Series
    My second one of these this season and it didn't go to plan. I did 21:30 on the first one so I was hoping to improve on that. I figured I'd jog the 4km to the start as a warmup and get stretched and give it a lash. Ended up tight for time and barely made it to the start line by 2secs before the off so far from ideal. Wasn't feeling the love but stuck with it and dragged myself around. Happy with 21:40 considering the form and amazed at the mental nature of holding the suffering past my comfort zone. Must work some more on that. An easy 4km home in the piddling ran for a round 13km evening.

Fri 25/10/13 2 x 8km commute runs. Again with the 'not feeling the love' on the 2nd one but literally running for a train on a bank holiday Friday evening will do that! 5 mins to spare at the end was a luxury I didn't know I had so it was effectively a tempo run against the clock. It all counts though so I was glad I got it done.

Sat 26/10/13 LSR 22.25km, 2:04:36, 5:36/km, Avg HR 140bpm

Sun 27/10/13 Rest

Mon 28/10/13 Long cycle. 145km

Tues 29/10/13 Short track session with No 1. 10-15min WU, 2x800m, 1 x400m

Wed 30/10/13 8km run

Thurs 31/10/13 Track Session
    Daughter No 1 is doing her first 800m at an indoor event on Sat and so was keen to get her pacing right. I was drafted in to help and she was aiming for 2:40ish. Following Tuesday's blowout where we paced two 800m runs at 3:20, 2:59 and then blew up at 450m on the third going at 3:00/km she was keen to go for broke on the first 800m of tonight's session. So, following a 2km W.U. and stretching we went like the clappers from the get go at UL track and managed to clock up 2:43 which we were satisfied with giving neither of us have any history at 800m. We did two others 'easy' around 3-3:10. I was still feeling tired from Monday's cycle and having been on the road all day so was happy to just get out.

Fri 01/11/13 2 x 8km commute runs. Lovely weather for them and felt light on the feet. Enjoyable.

Sat 02/11/13 Long slow runs 9.4km + 16km, 5:35/km
    A dirty day weather wise wasn't giving me much encouragement and I was stuck out in Nenagh with No.1 who was doing her indoor competition so a fragmented run was the most I could squeeze in. I watched her do her 4x200m relay (2nd) and then snuck out for approx 50min in the freezing cold, spitting rain with a wind that would cut you. I came back in then for her 800m which she was delighted to get 2nd in even though the time was slower than Thurs. Out again for another run and the weather had improved so managed approx 1:28 before coming back in for her 60m sprint which took forever to run off. Barely got home in time to wolf down some grub and out again to the Munster match :).

Sun 03/11/13 Rest. Felt tired all day and didn't get a chance to get out :o.

Weekly total approx 60km. Long Run 25.4km (split)

Mon 04/11/13 8km commute run.
    Quads were locking and sore :o Got stuck in traffic on my evening lift back to the station and thought about running the last 2.5km in 15mins in my civies. Thought of the quads and chickened out. Gambled on the traffic moving and lost :mad: Didn't get home till 8:15pm as a result. Not happy and went to bed early in a sulk :p.

Tues 05/11/13 Track session. A new day and feeling fresh although quads still tender.
    10min+ W.U., 10min stretching / strides, 6 x 3min off 90sec rest. 3:50->3:40/km pace.
    Happy to hold pace with familiar faces as I get used to the track sessions again. Cold, wet with a slight breeze but the good crowd there (40+) is testament to a well run session.

• Advertisement

Weds 06/11/13 8km commute run

Thurs 07/11/13 12km with 4km and 1km at easy tempo (4:40-4:50/km) :o

Fri 08/11/13 2 x 8km runs. Felt surprisingly fresh for both of these
    1st swim in months and could barely make the length :o 10 x 50m off 2-2:15. Arms and shoulders aching.

Sat 09/11/13 58km cycle Felt surprisingly tired for the rest of the day after this. :o

Sun 10/11/13 Rest. A late night Sat meant I was goosed for most of the day and the wind and the rain helped me decide to recover rather than head out. Got plenty of house jobs done and quality family time though so it wasn't a complete waste of a day :)

Weekly total approx 50km, Long Run 16km (split) :o

Mon 11/11/13 8km commute run. An absolute pig of a run. Didn't get enough sleep and felt crap all day.

Tues 12/11/13 Track session. 15min WU and 10 min strides, stretching, etc. 6 x 3min off 90sec. Nailed two at 3:38/km pace, two at 3:43/km pace, 1 at 3:46/km and only 1 3:51/km to ruin a good set :rolleyes: Was ahead of the usual suspects on a cool, dry night. 60+ turnout so its a big group and I was in no-mans-land trailing the better runners for most of it but happy that I pushed it all the way. Feeling good despite a days driving over and back to Co. Wexford.

Wed 13/11/13 - Easy Med run. 15.25km, 1:25, 5:35/km. Trip to Kerry meant I was home early for a change.

Thurs 14/11/13 - 2 x 8km commute runs. Backpack overloading caused it to rub awkwardly against my back. Sore.

Fri 15/11/13 - 8km commute run. Backpack still rubbing. Copped that the straps had slipped so hopefully sorted now.

The head and body are generally very tired after a busy travel week on the road every day. The legs are feeling ok though so we'll see what the weekend brings. MrsB is away for the weekend so it'll have to be early to bed and early to rise if I want to squeeze anything in before the kids stuff kicks off.

Sat 16/11/13 LSR 29km, 2:40, 5:35/km, Avg HR 132
    Out and back pre-dawn run to Birdhill and back and very satisfied with that. Got through the odd mental and physical feelings of weakness and kept on trucking. Ran on empty with 500ml water. Mild morning and happy with low HR. Legs were fairly sore since then but got as much rest as possible so that helped.

Sun 17/11/15 Easy recovery run, 10km, 59:48, 5:59/km, Avg HR 130.
    Morning run again but was barely a shuffle at the start as the legs were stiff as a board and locking. Got moving ever so slowly with a few 6:15/km but by the end I was moving easier and closer to 5:40/km. Legs still sore.

Weekly total approx 90km, Long Run 29km. Satisfied with that week. :D

Was that you cycling through Harold's Cross this morning, about 0915?

Was that you cycling through Harold's Cross this morning, about 0915?

Yes. I haven't cycled in months and I get busted here within the hour! :D

The train was late, my bag was extra heavy, the dog eat my homework..........:P

How come I never get called out on the many epic runs I manage on that route? :rolleyes:

RedB wrote: »
    Yes. I haven't cycled in months and I get busted here within the hour! :D

The train was late, my bag was extra heavy, the dog eat my homework..........:P

How come I never get called out on the many epic runs I manage on that route? :rolleyes:

My first reaction was - serious hard nut - who cycles in micro running shorts and a light t-shirt in the dead of winter?
    Definitely no South Dublin softie.

I was in full gloves, hat, snood mode going the other way- my eyes were just visible.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Just came across your thread. I've similar goals (donadea in 4:30) as a first ultra and I'm of a similar vintage so I might keep an I on your progress.

It'll be my first winter of heavy mileage and I think that will be the hard part...long miles on dark mornings / evenings although I guess that's what ultras are all about.

It has gone very quiet around here - I guess Donadea is out?

It has gone very quiet around here - I guess Donadea is out?

Unfortunately yes. Picking my battles meant I had to ease off in November and never got going again despite a decent spurt over the Xmas hols. A slight change in work situation means I'll be Dublin city centre based from next month so won't even get my commute run in from then on :o Oh well, will just have to find a pool or something :p Its also probably not the appropriate place to mention that I will manage to do the Tour of Flanders at the start of April with a small gang of other Mamils :D

• Advertisement

Good- was hoping it wasn't anything more serious.

Enjoy Flanders - will be epic!

As for a pool in the city centre - if you don't mind plasters at the bottom of the pool - Markievicz, just off Tara Street is an option.

However, I work around there, so feel free not to commute in the Speedos..:)

Advertisement