Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buttery, creamy mash for cottage pie

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Olive oil works fantastically instead of butter, along with some milk. I basically half mash the potatoes, then add a good glug of both milk and olive oil, mash some more and then add more milk or olive oil as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Lots of butter and a few teaspoons of salt. Push it through a sieve if you dont want to get a ricer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Lots of butter and a few teaspoons of salt. Push it through a sieve if you dont want to get a ricer.

:eek:

I find that a sprinkling of salt in the cooking water and then a little in the mash is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Faith wrote: »
    I always, always, always steam potatoes. I can't stand boiled potatoes, yuck. Then I leave the steamed potatoes sit for a few minutes, off the water with the lid off, so they dry out more. I add melted butter, milk, thyme, salt, pepper to my mash (if I have the time and inclination, I add gently fried onions), and at the end, I add a big dollop of mayonnaise. It sounds disgusting but it's a tip I learned from my grandmother who makes the BEST mash ever. I suppose when you think about it, it's not that different from adding an egg yolk.

Mmm, I love mashed potatoes.

I'm just after making mash and thought I'd give the mayo addition a go.
    What a revelation! Thanks a million, Faith.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I'm just after making mash and thought I'd give the mayo addition a go.
    What a revelation! Thanks a million, Faith.:)

Hurrah! So glad you enjoyed it :). I find it really does add an extra layer of flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I like to add a little Greek style yoghurt, along with butter, milk s&p.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Creamy mash has to be the most divine food of the gods!

My method is similar to many above.

Steam roosters.

Allow to drain and dry out for a bit.

Mash without any additions first.

Then add REAL butter, salt, a splash of full fat milk. Mash again.

Add more butter and milk to get the consistency you love.

I just adore nice mash. I'd eat it off a spoon on its own, all by myself and the more the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I use a hand mixer and butter. Let the potatoes dry a bit after draining, put the lid back on with a teatowel in the pot with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

stevenmu wrote: »
    Olive oil works fantastically instead of butter, along with some milk. I basically half mash the potatoes, then add a good glug of both milk and olive oil, mash some more and then add more milk or olive oil as needed.

yeah, it defo roasts better with olive oil than butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I use a hand mixer and butter. Let the potatoes dry a bit after draining, put the lid back on with a teatowel in the pot with them.

NOOOO!!!! Blended potatoes are mank, the starch breaks down too much and they become gloopy. :(

• Advertisement

NOOOO!!!! Blended potatoes are mank, the starch breaks down too much and they become gloopy. :(
    Dunno, mine don't? I do it that way precisely because they come out fluffier than if I do by hand with a masher.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trmartin

The Sensio Masha got a good review in today's Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/it-s-christmas/tried-and-tested-1.1601558

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I once read that most people find it impossible to get restaurant style mash at home, purely because if they used the same amount of butter/cream as a restuarant they would be completely horrified!

I don't really like restaurant style mash though, or what most people put on a plate before me. I use a lot less butter, no milk and let the potatoes dry out with their own heat under a hand towel. = fluffy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you're going to bake a pie anyway, bake the spuds too.
    Cut them in half and scoop out the flesh, mash and add butter/salt./milk to taste;
    spread a coat of butter on top and spike up with a fork.

Advertisement