Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

customs---- a question

Options
  • 17-10-2013 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

working for a northern company and using a company vehicle, sometimes a van, sometimes a car.
    my wife has permission to drive both as well.

can these vehicles be taken from us even though they are owned, taxed and insured by a northern company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I take it the vehicle is registered with the DVLA to the company's address in Norn Iron, in which case you can't be touched. If it was registered to you at an address in Donegal, there'd be bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Irish resident citizens are not allowed drive northern registered vehicles under the Finance Acts. While working there may be some excuses but not for your wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

a lot of grey areas in this one

you can drive the car on business as long as the majority of business is northern

you cant lend the car to an RoI resident

but you can hire the car to them

a lot more complications than i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I knew a guy a few years back who drove an NI company car but he lived in Donegal, and once he was stopped he told the Customs Officer that it was a company car.

He was basically told that if he lived in Donegal then his company should be getting a company car from a RoI leasing firm, not one in NI, so I guess that means you aren't really allowed to drive an NI car.

But it wasn't confiscated or anything, so don't know how it ever worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

NIMAN wrote: »
    I knew a guy a few years back who drove an NI company car but he lived in Donegal, and once he was stopped he told the Customs Officer that it was a company car.

He was basically told that if he lived in Donegal then his company should be getting a company car from a RoI leasing firm, not one in NI, so I guess that means you aren't really allowed to drive an NI car.

But it wasn't confiscated or anything, so don't know how it ever worked out.

Know somebody in a similar situation a couple of years ago. Customs stopped him, already knew all the registration and insurance details. He used the car to drive to and from work in NI and they knew exactly where and when he had been driving. They gave him ten days to sort the matter out. He was allowed to have a commercial vehicle, and his company arranged to supply him with one, a Hiace type van, instead of the car and that was acceptable. Don't know if the same applies now. You could ask customs but you might not like the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

They can/will seize the vehicle if they catch your wife driving. A relative of mine has had dozens of vehicles taken over the years because of this(all subsequently returned). You should contact your local Revenue Office. They should be able to put it in writing that you've permission to use foreign reg'd vehicles for work. It'd go a long way at the roadside having it on paper.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/temporary-exemption-foreign-registered.html

Advertisement