Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Builds in Dublin?

Options
  • 17-10-2013 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭

While self-builds seem really popular in rural areas, I don't think I've come across one in Dublin yet.

BBC's recent "The House That £100k Built" has me wondering if it's possible to do a (less extreme) low cost build in a decent area of Dublin and if it would save you anything compared to purchasing something second-hand / off the plans? I'm sure it's quite do-able if you're in the trade and / or have family or friends with the various trades you'd need. But would it be do-able for the ordinary person?

Secondly, how would you go about finding the site? There seems to be very few sites on daft/myhome yet I can think of at least 3 vacant sites around my own neighbourhood.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Sleepy wrote: »
    Secondly, how would you go about finding the site? There seems to be very few sites on daft/myhome yet I can think of at least 3 vacant sites around my own neighbourhood.

vacant sites or designated green areas ........

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Over-grown, uninhabited sites. I'm not consider St. Annes to be an available site even if I can imagine a wonderful gaf there for myself! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sleepy wrote: »
    While self-builds seem really popular in rural areas, I don't think I've come across one in Dublin yet.
    Probably because any "decent" land is costly, and could probably get an entire apartment block built on it.

IMO, drive around, and when you find a plot of land you link, check the OSI map to see if it's within someones garden, or if you need to do more digging.

Another route that you may check would be unfinished estates? If the back of the estate has a road going along it, see if you can buy the land at the back of the estate, and are able to make your own entrance to the road outside the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Site will be extremely expensive, development levies will be extremely high. You could easily be refused permission for a house not "in keeping" with the area, which a very cheap build could end up being depending on external finishes, etc.

Ironically, if you did manage to put a 150k house up in one of the "desireable" areas, the very fact that the site has *a* house on it would probably make the site worth more than the combined original site cost + construction cost.

Advertisement