Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoltAction

• 17-10-2013 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hey guys
    I apologise if this is hard to read. I am posting from my phone.

Iv been collecting IG from 40k for awhile now and im sick of paying gamesworkshop prices.
    I have been looking at Boltaction and it seems good. It has 28mm models which is great as i like to paint and model them and the rules look simple and fun.

I have also looked at FoW but i dont like the idea of painting 15mm models.

Do many people play BoltAction in Dublin?
    Do many play FoW?
    What other recommendations can you think off?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I don't know about Bolt Action, but I think there are at least a few regular FoW players in Dublin (or were when I was there a couple of years back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Flames of War does certainly seem to be the most popular real-life wargame out there.

I'm not so sure that it is cheaper than GW though.

Why don't you just play 40K with BoltAction miniature's?

Edit: 500th post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6 nosediver

Hey youllneverknow, a few of my mates and I are just getting into Bolt Action at the moment. We've been playing Flames of War for quite a while, but with all of us being former or current 40k gamers as well, 28mm is still our preferred scale. We're doing our best to keep it varied by picking different countries, but you're more than welcome to join us. The beauty of it is you can get a complete playable force on the table for €100 or less. As an example the likes of Perry Miniatures are doing boxes of British Desert Rats German Afrika Corps for €24 for 34 minis. Can't argue with that. Even the Warlord boxes are good value.

PM me and I'll send you on a useful link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

a fat guy wrote: »
    Flames of War does certainly seem to be the most popular real-life wargame out there.

I'm not so sure that it is cheaper than GW though.

Why don't you just play 40K with BoltAction miniature's?
    I've never played 40k a game of 40k only collected the models but the price is killing me lol.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

nosediver wrote: »
    PM me and I'll send you on a useful link.

Why don't you just post the link?

• Advertisement

Its a link to another forum. and maybe its private forum too.
    I'm not posting the link nosediver can if he wants to.

I went into Gamerworld today and picked up Plastic Soldier Panzer IV just to see how it goes. I'm going to play FoW eventually seen as more people play it than Boltaction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It looks like Flames of War are starting to go plastic so now might be a good time to get into it, I have the new starter set ordered for myself to add to my old handful of metal Finns and it looks like there will be plastic soviets coming out soon.

It will probably be cheaper if that's the case then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Hi guys. I play Flames of War in Dublin but know a good few players around the country and up north too. If anyone wants to ask any questions feel free. FoW is more popular than Bolt Action and there's a competitive tournament scene growing, as well as the usual casual games.

Have a look at this forum also, it's the most active FoW forum in Ireland:

http://onthestep.net/forum/index.php

I post there regularly and the other posters should be able to give you advice too.

Advertisement