Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craft Beer Co Meath

Options
  • 17-10-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

i know there is a section for beer & wine & spirits but this thread would help people looking for information on craft beer in Meath and where to find it.

First up we have 1 craft brewery in Meath with Bru Brewery in Trim http://www.brubrewery.ie/ and rumour of a 2nd opening in Enfield.

PUBS - I only know of 2 but there must be more, so feel free to update

Central Bar in Navan http://www.thecentral.ie/

Malt House Trim.

OFF LICENCES - Again I can only confirm 2 but once again please update.

Malt House Trim

Wine Well Dunboyne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I love my craft beer. But it's hard to find in Meath. O'Briens in Ashbounre and Navan have a ok collection. But I have to go into Dublin to get anything decent.

I do like the Beers from Bru that The Central serve. Only gripe is that they stopped serving Trouble Brewings Dark Arts Porter when they started serving Bru's Dubh, which is very nice but not as nice as DAP.

What's Wine Well like?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

was in the Malt house Trim on Sunday, had 2 pts of the Rua at €4 a pt, they have extended and restocked there off licence and have about 100 craft beers now.

any other pubs in Navan selling craft beer ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Have to say the new craft beer section in the Malt House is brilliant. He has every beer under the sun including a great selection of Irish ones.

I did sample a drop of the new Trim beer, Rua and it was nice. Can't wait until they bottle some.
    Only gripe is that they stopped serving Trouble Brewings Dark Arts Porter

Picked up a bottle of that last night in the Malt and have to say it's bloody gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Son0vagun wrote: »
    I love my craft beer. But it's hard to find in Meath. O'Briens in Ashbounre and Navan have a ok collection. But I have to go into Dublin to get anything decent.

Ssssshhhh! No mentioning of dublin in the meath forum. Ever. Ha! :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

Great idea, its so hard to find stuff in Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

I've picked up a few bottles of Galway Hooker from Next Door beside Xtravision Navan a few times this summer, and Smyths in The Square has a few interesting IPA's available over the counter in bottles as well. The craft beer scene hasn't really taken off yet in Navan, most people still happy to knock back the Diagio/Heineken swill, and the big two still has the muscle to keep the small guys out with sweeteners for publicans to fill their counters and fridges with their stuff only.

The Central has a selection of UK beers from a nationwide Irish distributor, as well as Dungarvan Brewery beers, Trouble Brewing and the Brú range, but that's it really. When they put in that Harp on draught this summer I thought that they were taking the píss, and haven't been back in there since....

The Off licence beside The Round O has a couple. It's the only place I've seen Courages Imperial Russian Stout, which recommends letting a bottle mature for 13yrs before tasting it. I've three stored away.

Would there be enough interest in the Navan Area for a Craft Beer Club?

Wine Well Dunboyne - being a few weeks since I've being in it so called in today.

picked up a bottle of Baile pale ale from www.Bailebrew.com and Old Hooky from the Hook Norton brewery in the UK.

off the top of my head they have the following beers

O Hara's, Galway Hooker, 8 Degrees, Mcgraths no 5 and Baile pale ale, they no longer stock the Dungarvan beers .

3 or 4 US craft breweries with about 10 beers, same with UK breweries plus some European and aussie beers.

next time I call I must write down what beers. on a plus side for them if you ask them to get a certain beer for you they will do there best.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Newgrange Warrior

Wm Cairnes & Son,Scotch Hall, Drogheda has a good selection of craft brews- http://www.wmcairnes.com/drinks.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Wm Cairnes & Son,Scotch Hall, Drogheda has a good selection of craft brews- http://www.wmcairnes.com/drinks.php

but .........thats in louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Son0vagun wrote: »
    The Off licence beside The Round O has a couple. It's the only place I've seen Courages Imperial Russian Stout, which recommends letting a bottle mature for 13yrs before tasting it. I've three stored away.

Would there be enough interest in the Navan Area for a Craft Beer Club?

I'd say there is

I think Smyths on the Square off license is not bad, they had brew dog etc before o'briens. And they seem more than willing to try new stuff. Pretty sure i walked past yesterday and saw Galway Bay in the window, Buried at Sea and Red Ale i think.

O'briens navan has improved a lot over the last few months.

The Winehouse (attached to the Malt House) in Trim, is really really good - They'd be more than happy to order in something for you - great range, and from talking to the lads they want to expand. And if your in the bar, you can drink anything they have in the off license but expect to pay on trade price for same.

Bru Rua @ 4 a pint is great value. The guys in Bru have confirmed they are aiming to have bottles in place for Christmas, just trialling a bottler etc at the moment. As it stands they are in The Central, The Old Darnley, Malt House and a pub in Kells which name escapes me. Plus a few pubs in Dublin aswell.

The Bru Brewery will be in the Malt House Trim today @ 2 o clock with FREE samples of the stout. more info on the FB page.

blueshed wrote: »
    The Bru Brewery will be in the Malt House Trim today @ 2 o clock with FREE samples of the stout. more info on the FB page.

Was at this today - plenty of free samples. The stout is good - lot more flavour than a pint of guinness but plenty of it going

picked up a btl of this http://www.carlowbrewing.com/our-beers/oharas-barrel-aged-series/?ao_confirm in the Wine Well Dunboyne today.

Lovely stuff - i've myself a bottle kept aside for christmas.

Carry Out Trim - Btls of O Hara's and Galway Hooker

I got to see Brú Brewery in action yesterday morning. Here's a few pics from my trip. Click through any of them to see the full album or my ramblings on the blog...

DB06E67FB6104224A275A96A214BDC8F-0000320339-0003428957-00650L-B8735B7B83444281AFC98B4EC11FC530.jpg

0B1C4720771A4A25AD8FEFA5C21CF885-0000320339-0003428966-00650L-264BD3351CD1439C80CD924EA3F9C480.jpg

A7A16AF194D84808824C9DB477C1FAEC-0000320339-0003428967-00650L-1B5C9ABD539F44E59A0363D401F5FAA9.jpg

Great photos.

Also add smyths on square in navan. Nothing craft on draft. Do have a wide range of bottles including galway bay brewery and galway hooker. Worth a look.
    Saw some brew dog, shepherd neame, trooper and others

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Whereabouts is Brú in Trim? Oaktree Business Park? Any intention to bottle?

happygoose wrote: »
    Oaktree Business Park? Any intention to bottle?

Yes and Yes! Think they might have some bottled in time for Xmas.

• Advertisement

sofireland wrote: »
    Great photos.

Also add smyths on square in navan. Nothing craft on draft. Do have a wide range of bottles including galway bay brewery and galway hooker. Worth a look.
    Saw some brew dog, shepherd neame, trooper and others

Is that Iron Maiden Ale Trooper?

One and the same. Think its about €3 in the offie. About 6 onsale.

was back in the Malt House off licence yesterday and they have up dated there stock again, amber ella from 8 degrees, all the Kinnegar beers, plus about 10 new European beers.

I bought 5 beers and they threw in a 6th beer free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Those lads from trim have really taken off seeing the taps in a few places now ....great to see it

happygoose wrote: »
    Whereabouts is Brú in Trim? Oaktree Business Park? Any intention to bottle?

Just heard on the grapevine (twitter) that they're starting to bottle on Monday........:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Spar in Ratoath have gotten loads of craft beers in the last year or so. Irish ones I've gotten recently are Kinnegar, Mountain Man (which have the funniest label I've seen), Donegal Brewery, Baile Brew and Galway Bay (among others that I haven't tried yet).
    Good selection of craft beers from the UK as well as some obscure German beers I haven't seen sold anywhere else.

Might take a trip to the Wine Well in Dunboyne this week. Whereabouts in the cillage is it?

The rua being bottled in time for christmas is great - you'll probably see it in Supervalu as I think they've got a distributor onboard for that - it will definitely be in the Winehouse in trim.

Spar in Ratoath have gotten loads of craft beers in the last year or so. Irish ones I've gotten recently are Kinnegar, Mountain Man (which have the funniest label I've seen), Donegal Brewery, Baile Brew and Galway Bay (among others that I haven't tried yet).
    Good selection of craft beers from the UK as well as some obscure German beers I haven't seen sold anywhere else.

Might take a trip to the Wine Well in Dunboyne this week. Whereabouts in the village is it?

in the centre of the village, just up from Brady's pub.

Just back from visiting The Wine House in Trim. Great little off licence. More suited to the novice as they didn't have many extreme/specialty craft beers. Still I was impressed and it will be my go to craft beer off licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Next Door in Dunshaughlin have a decent selection for a local off licence. International and Irish with the likes of eight degrees and lesser knowns such as Donegal, Kinnegar, Mountain Man. Worth stopping in perhaps on the way home from Dublin.

Advertisement