Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grand Budapest Hotel

• 17-10-2013 6:02pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭

aka The Complete Feature Films of Wes Anderson, Volume 8

Wes Anderson has a new film due out. This rarely disputed fact has been confirmed by a trailer released today, featuring so many Anderson signatures that it is clearly the result of the most pronounced case of cinematic OCD since Stanley Kubrick passed away.

Anyway, going by the evidence, fans will rejoice the return of the quirkiest auteur out there, while non-fans will decry the return of the one trickiest of ponies. These responses are inevitable, and agnostics will be punished accordingly when it comes to post release discussion. Many Anderson stars past will return, with newcomer Ralph Fiennes seemingly bringing his entire sock drawer to give it. Also Saoirse Ronan.

It's not out until March, because the distributors are merciless fiends who enjoy watching you suffering through a webcam you don't know is active and monitoring you.

Delightful Trailer below. You can watch it or not, because I am not the boss of you. It contains excessive levels of framing symmetry and extravagant diorama-style set design. But you knew that already, because it's a Wes Anderson film.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's a shame he didn't cast Kumar Pallana in this. Would have been a nice final hurrah for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

It's a shame he didn't cast Kumar Pallana in this. Would have been a nice final hurrah for him.

Oh that's quite disappointing I thought he had been cast in this. What a shame.

Will be really looking forward to it, massive Anderson fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Gotta get me to an advance screening of this one. Time to grovel.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can't wait for this, I was laughing out loud through that whole trailer :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Might be of interest to some, but I've heard good things about the Wes Anderson Collection book. Effectively a career spanning interview with the man himself, plus graphic design that attempts to capture some of the aesthetic uniqueness of his films.

Amazon linkie: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/081099741X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1382049025&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think the only Wes Anderson film I've seen is Fantastic Mr. Fox :o

I did love that though, so I'm looking forward to this (and getting through his back catalogue).

I know it's hard to tell as she only says one line in the trailer but is Saoirse Ronan using her own accent in this? A first for her, I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, sounds like it. Rather unfortunate accent she has a well. A Carlow/North Dublin hybrid of some sort.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think the only Wes Anderson film I've seen is Fantastic Mr. Fox :o

I did love that though, so I'm looking forward to this (and getting through his back catalogue).

I know it's hard to tell as she only says one line in the trailer but is Saoirse Ronan using her own accent in this? A first for her, I think.

Get your hands on Rushmore and The Royal Tebenbaums asap :)

Yeah, sounds like it. Rather unfortunate accent she has a well. A Carlow/North Dublin hybrid of some sort.

I do wonder about her accent sometimes. She was raised in Carlow but has been a bit of a nomad since she was 12 or so, so where she picked up the Dublin twang I don't know.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Get your hands on Rushmore and The Royal Tebenbaums asap :)

I think I saw some of The Royal Tenenbaums before but I don't remember much about it other than maybe Elliott Smith being on the soundtrack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I do wonder about her accent sometimes. She was raised in Carlow but has been a bit of a nomad since she was 12 or so, so where she picked up the Dublin twang I don't know.

Parents.

I find her accent quite variable depending on what she has recently done or where and who she's been with recently with.

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    Parents.

I find her accent quite variable depending on what she has recently done or where and who she's been with recently with.

I suppose if you're spending the majority of your time putting on different accents your own one will get a bit jumbled up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I caved and picked up the Wes Anderson Collection brick book at lunchtime today. It is easily the most glorious, affectionate printed celebration of a film director I've ever come across. As well as essays and interviews on all of his films thus far, the illustrations are just fantastic to look at, gorgeous tributes to his worlds and quirks. There's loads of nice little visual inserts too, like screenshot comparisons of the plethora of cinematic references throughout his work.

If you're a fan, pick it up, it's an extremely generous book for the price its going for. Should tide you over nicely 'til Budapest, and I'm already tempted towards a full filmography rewatch!

Oh how I adored this film. Easily Anderson's most idiosyncratic film yet, and so much better for it. His visual imagination remains in absolute overdrive - not quite as 'diorama' based as his last few films, but still almost obsessive in its attention to detail and proud quirk. The setpieces are a joy, barely a scene passes without some brilliant visual gag or moment of cinematography splendour. The cast are brilliant - Fiennes fits snugly into Anderson's eccentric worldview with an oddball, entirely committed performance as a pretentious, charismatic and loveable 'butler type' - maybe the single finest performance in one of the director's films since Jason Schwartzman in Rushmore. But there's much joy in the endless stream of appearances from Anderson veterans and newcomers alike.

It's hilarious: the man can frame a damn good joke as always, one of the few directors who can make a throwaway joke about symmetry and character placement laugh out loud funny. It's also surprisingly dark at times, with a few moments of unexpected (and very amusing) violence in this lovingly cartoonish world.

And tying it all together is a smart story within a story within a story structure, that reflects nostalgically on a bygone era of history and cinema that many of us will ever only know through second or third hand stories. The inspired decision to shoot in a trio of aspect ratios complements this, and the prevalent Academy Ratio proves a perfect fit for Anderson's trademark framing and general visual OCD, especially when it comes to close ups and more claustrophobic indoor spaces. It's also a great shorthand for differentiating time periods.

A genuine joy. It is unlikely to woo Anderson sceptics, but it's maybe his boldest and grandest film yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It is unlikely to woo Anderson sceptics
    Well consider me a sceptic (of his post-Tenenbaums films at least) but it wooed me. Can't wait to see it again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Genuinely delightful piece of cinema. Loved every moment of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Saw this tonight in a packed IFI. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Fiennes is fantastic and the various cameos add to the craic. Ronan is so-so but her character is relatively minor to be honest. Her Irish accent is noticeable but seeing as some of the characters speak in broad American, it doesn't really make any difference. All in all, a big thumbs up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Baze

Seen it last night in the Lighthouse (was a Wes Anderson fancy dress night, TGBH being shown at 10.30pm on all four screens). Had seen the trailer and I just had the feeling I was not going to like it all that much. Well. how wrong was I.

It's apt that this film centers around a work of art, as that is just what this film is, and a masterpiece of one at that.

Another of those rare times that you begin to dread the ending of a film as you feel it approaching. Magical movie and can't fault one iota of it. The performances too were impeccable.

Ralph Fiennes comic timing was astounding. I can't recall laughing so much at a film in years.

I loved every moment of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

And tying it all together is a smart story within a story within a story structure

So he's actually remembered to tell a story this time? This makes me very happy, looking forward to seeing it.

So he's actually remembered to tell a story this time? This makes me very happy, looking forward to seeing it.
    Yep, it's why it might be my favorite of his. So much momentum to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Had great fun watching this piece of cinema. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Brilliant that was. Best movie of the year so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭weldon

Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Fiennes is a revelation here and was
    George Clooney in a cameo in the shootout scene
    ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved it, my wife and I saw it last night and thought it brilliant, Dafoe was a brute wasn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I'd almost forgotten what it was like to leave the cinema on a high. Excellent film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

My thoughts: Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson, Wes Anderson...

... and so on.

Which is to say that I don't really know if I enjoyed it or not. Or rather, I don't know the degree to which I enjoyed it. It's a good film (and Fiennes is superb) but the director intrudes on every single frame. The dialogue, settings, the mannerisms, everything - it's a live action Fantastic Mr Fox. Some people will love that but, with the exception of Fiennes, I'd probably consider it a waste of a very good cast and the opportunity to explore some of the real themes of that period.

Is this a pointer towards an increasing ossification of an already distinctive style? I don't know. But at least Anderson hasn't given in completely to Tim Burton syndrome - this is definitely one of his better works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

As many have said not going to change the mind's of many Anti-Anderson hater's. But have to say it's his best film for me since the Royal Tenenbaums although I did enjoy Moonrise Kingdom and Fantastic Mr. Fox. I think the performances and story was his most enjoyable for along time.

This is Ralph Fiennes film all the way, he gives his best performance in a long time and shows of his comedic chops. Tony Revolori as Zero is a great straight man. William Dafoe, Jude Law, F Murray Abraham and Tilda Swinton are excellent in smaller roles. Some of the cameo's don't work for me like Bill Murrays, Lea Seydoux (totally wasted after the brilliance of Blue is the Warmest Colour) and Saoirse Ronan (who's career has hit a bit of a stumbling block ) in a underwritten role.

The downbeatness of the ending
    The deaths of Ralph Fiennes and Ronan character's
    is a brave move after all that went before. The scenes between Law and Abraham are very bittersweet and well acted between both men. Still think Rushmore is Anderson best film to date but this is really easily fighting Tenenbaums for second in my list of the best Anderson film's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

There is an unbelievably unprofessional and childish one star review at RTE.ie...http://www.rte.ie/ten/reviews/movies/2014/0306/504177-the-grand-budapest-hotel/

The first three paragraphs are just cringe worthy.

There is an unbelievably unprofessional and childish one star review at RTE.ie...http://www.rte.ie/ten/reviews/movies/2014/0306/504177-the-grand-budapest-hotel/

Really baffling. It actually reads as a funny parody of a snootily dismissive review if you read it in Fienne's accent from the film. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

One man's view on things everyone's got an opinion. I disagree with his views but everyone's not going to praise the film. As I said if you don't like Andersons style of filmmaking then you would hate the film.

I don't have a problem with someone not liking a film but that's barely a review. Surely someone paid to write film reviews should be able to construct a better criticism than "everyone has different accents".

Anderson is one of those directors that has a very particular style and if you don't like that style you won't like any of his films. That's fine. I don't like Tarantino but I know what to expect from his films so I'm not going to complain about his "witty banter" or extreme violence. They're part and parcel of his films.

That RTÉ review reads like something you'd see on Letterboxd and not from a supposed professional.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He's probably still struggling with the plot to the last Transformers movie, give him a break, a movie that's well crafted is more than likely a big surprise to him.
    I imagine his review of Black Swan was "could have done with less dancing and more boobies"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

RTE yet again proves itself to be an embarrassing disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Looper007 wrote: »
    One man's view on things everyone's got an opinion. I disagree with his views but everyone's not going to praise the film. As I said if you don't like Andersons style of filmmaking then you would hate the film.

I don't have a problem with a reviewer disliking a movie if he can professionally articulate his rationale. But that review reads like something written in Primary School.

I mean, the first two paragraphs dismisses the movie because it wouldn't be suitable for The Big Big Movie slot (!) and the third paragraph criticises Fiennes for his lack of "Deppness". It's one of the worst reviews I've ever seen.

It's frustrating to see people getting paid to write this nonsense when most regular contributors to this forum would be able to write a much more insightful and balanced review.

Looper007 wrote: »

I welcome intelligent thought out criticism, especially when it goes against the popular concensus. Sadly the review linked to is a pootly written and unintelligent piece of fluff that has nothing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I don't have a problem with a reviewer disliking a movie if he can professionally articulate his rationale. But that review reads like something written in Primary School.

I mean, the first two paragraphs dismisses the movie because it wouldn't be suitable for The Big Big Movie slot (!) and the third paragraph criticises Fiennes for his lack of "Deppness". It's one of the worst reviews I've ever seen.

It's frustrating to see people getting paid to write this nonsense when most regular contributors to this forum would be able to write a much more insightful and balanced review.
    Daddy's boiy needs a job yoooo know loike :pac:

I haven't seen this film yet, but the trailer alone perked more intrigue from me than anything I've seen for the last....2 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Absolutely loved this. It's probably Anderson's funniest film to date. It's really beautiful to look at and I had a grin on my face for the entire running time. It could potentially rival the Royal Tenenbaums for his best film - time and few repeat viewings will tell.

Some of the props from the film are on display at the Lighthouse Cinema if anyone is interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Using Boards as a source of film reviews is going rather well so far I must say. I'd have missed out on this had I not been on here a few hours ago and it's definitely one of the best films I've seen in ages. There's bound to be several reasons for it's greatness that are over my head. Suffice it to say, it's nice to see effective comedy that doesn't require puerile humor to work.
    Absolutely wonderful film.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Like most people have already said here, every reviewer is entitled to their own opinion. It's not meant for everyone. But that review was absolute muck - how is that lad writing for any sort of publication?
    It's not like RTÉ doesn't have actual decent reviewers in their ranks. I wonder what Tubridy made of the film - to be fair to him, he knows his stuff whether it's films or books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Great film, saw it in Vue last night and loved it. :)
    In the credits: Harvey Keitel?! What? Where? Ohh in the prison, wow didn't recognise him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Loved it loved it loved it. And what a performance from Fiennes.

Anderson's best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

that review is piss poor....is my tv license going to paddy whathisface?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

An absolute joy from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Bowlardo wrote: »
    that review is piss poor....is my tv license going to paddy whathisface?

Yup. They ringfence your specific licence fee and give it all to him.

It's disgraceful, but on the brightside that's all he gets paid. Your 160 euro. Not much of an annual salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

The bit where dafoe is framed in the doorway of the room, that has thee multitude of knights, gorgeous.
    Great score at times as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

A great film. Hilarious. I have laughed at films before but generally not out loud. This was the exception. Ralph Fiennes absolutely nailed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Saw this last night and both my wife and I really enjoyed it. Would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

One thing though, the audience (ourselves included) didn't really react much during the movie apart from the bits where
    the lawyer's fingers were cut off and the cat was thrown out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

The cut to the shot of the Lawyer's fingerprints, with 4 missing..... I dont think I have ever laughed louder.

Absolutely brilliant film this, I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Saw this for the second time yesterday and loved it even more than before. Ralph Fiennes is truly awesome in it. Loved young Zero too! I'm not sure if I've ever used this word before but it's absolutely delightful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Im gonna have to go against the grain a bit here and say I didnt think it was great. Although Im the guy who thinks The life aquatic is one of Anderson's best films........
    Ralph Fiennes was brilliant, no argument there and I hope he at least gets a Golden Globe nomination, but I thought Adrian Brody was equally good, he was great as this angry man who seemed like he could explode and lose the plot at any moment. Dont get me wrong, it was a good movie I just didnt connect with the era it was set in. Im big into music and I love how Anderson used these great songs on Rushmore, The royal tenebaums, the life aquatic and the darjeeling limited, but here there wasn't that awesome soundtrack, which for me is a big factor. Having said that I'll watch it again and probably love it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement