Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I call my potential new boss and explain that I need to give 2 weeks notice

Options
  • 17-10-2013 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I went to a job interview on 10/14 for a position that begins on 11/1. The interviewer said there were around 60 applications that they'd be reviewing in the next couple weeks and then they'll call back anyone who is hired but in the meantime I can call with questions or concerns. My schedule at my current job is already set for now to 11/1 and I'd like to give a letter of 2 weeks notice until leaving as a courtesy but if it takes the interviewer too long then I won't be able to do that and I risk being out on a schedule past that! I don't want to miss out on this opportunity if I get hired but then again I don't want to just walk out on my current position without notice, especially if I am already scheduled!

Should I call my interviewer and let them know of this concern? And how would I word that without sounding pushy or too conceited (I don't want them to think that I believe I'm already hired).

If I do call, I was thinking something like: "I'm just calling because I'm concerned that if I get the position, I will not have enough time to give notice to my employer, since I am already scheduled to the 1st and if my supervisor goes ahead with the next couple weeks then I don't want to leave without any notice but I really don't want to miss this opportunity if it's offered to me."

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Definitely call them, just politely explain that you would like to know when the successful candidate will be informed, particularly because if you're the successful one you would hate to leave your present employer in the lurch. I'm sure they would appreciate and respect your loyalty and consideration, it might even help with their decision making process :) Good luck with it

Advertisement