Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for higher level English

• 17-10-2013 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Would really appreciate any tips or techniques for the higher level paper. I'm applying through the UCAS and a B1 in English is a requirement. At the moment I'm getting D1's in essays, B's in comprehensions, poetry and Macbeth questions and C's in the comparative study. My teacher is atrocious and doesn't really explain HOW to answer questions or how you can improve. Please help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

The advice I would give is to always read the question carefully and aim to answer the question asked. Avoid writing points that is not relevant to the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 arctic enthusiast

Thanks! Do you mind me asking what you do to practice/ learn English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Thanks! Do you mind me asking what you do to practice/ learn English?
    For single text and comparative I practiced by attempting past papers questions to a good standard. For HL try learn a good few quotes for single text to back up your points as this will gain you marks.

Okay, just some of the major tips I can think of.
    1. Don't learn essays. Sure, write the essays and get your teacher to correct them so you can develop your writing skills but when it comes to single text/comparative, learn the PLAN of your essay. That way you know what each paragraph is about and in an exam you will be focused when writing.
    2. For the comparative, a good idea is to make up a table with your three texts and various sub headings so that you can easily spot similarities/differences between them.
    3. ALWAYS include a personal response, whether the question asks for it or not. Be genuine too; examiners don't want to be reading 6 pages on how you wish you lived through Shakespeare's time to live with his genius mind. If your response is sincere then the examiner will engage with it.
    4. Find your strength with the composition. If you're funny, add humour to a personal essay. By finding what you're best at, you can strengthen it even more. But don't neglect other writing (debates, short stories) as you may need to have a back-up on the day if your chosen style doesn't inspire you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Firstly dont touch a short story. A majority of students dont know what they actually are and totally **** up in them. Everything you make a statement in paper 2 you must back it up with a quote. There should be at least 4 quotes per paragraph. Also stick to the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

Hi all , Just started 5th year and I'm doing HL everything accept Irish and French . I can't afford to drop English but it has always been my worse subject I got a C in HL (wasn't expecting anything better) in the J.C, I keep getting low c's and d's this year , but the thing is I put so much time and effort into my English and I keep getting the same grades, my teacher does write comments on my essays and I do acknowledge them but I am getting so sick and tired . HL English is so hard for the leaving cert , all I want to do is get a C I'm not saying I have to get an A I just really want to pass at HL ! any help would be appreciated ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Some tips for you guys:

1) Purpose is so important. It's possible to write a good piece but to have veered off on a tangent and therefore you fail to address the question asked. I highlight words in the question that I should address in my answer.

2) I have a small copy that I write a couple of words in every week with their definitions. Most of these are words I've heard but would not be fully sure of their meanings and therefore would not have the confidence to use in answers.

I also try to think where these words may be useful, and make sure you learn the correct context or it just looks ridiculous. Some people attempt to "force" the same few "big words" into every piece they do and it reads terribly I find.

For example, useful words for any Macbeth answer:
    -Protagonist
    -Eponymous
    -Belligerent
    -Renegades

3) Give detailed descriptions. For example, instead of saying "He saw the woman walking towards him" say something like "He saw the woman approaching him. She was tall, with defined facial features." That sounds cheesy but description is vitally important and gives the piece some substance. Remember the paper 1 essay is 25% (more valuable than any other question, remember that when you're stressing over poetry which is worth half the number of marks) so if you can work on your descriptions you'll create a better piece and it'll also give length to the essay.

I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head but I can guarantee that these three things will improve your pieces. Give them a go and ask me any questions about what I've written if you'd like!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

hfallada wrote: »
    Firstly dont touch a short story.

Only part in English I ever got an A1 in. Only Sith deal in absolutes. Well, them and Jedi when it suits them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 arctic enthusiast

Thank you for all the replies! I applied some of the advice to my per mock paper which was a poetry question and a comparative and got myself 90/100 in the poetry and 57/100 for the comparative. Considering I didn't finish the comparative, I'm pretty chuffed with a b3! Cheers for the advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

hfallada wrote: »
    Firstly dont touch a short story. A majority of students dont know what they actually are and totally **** up in them.

+1 After the mocks last year I decided to stop doing short story questions after getting 52/100 in Paper 1. Instead I perfected speech-writing and personal essays. I find these are much easier to do well in, especially if the topic that comes up on the day interests or appeals to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Practice makes perfect really, especially when it comes to the poetry and comparative. Keep banging out answers for your teacher to correct and it'll come to you.

The composition can be tricky. I did the short story and did well with an essay that I'd written and given to my teacher for correction earlier in the year. Some people are better suited to speeches or such, whatever you feel you'll be able to work with. Be flexible. Best of luck!

Advertisement