Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on distributors/distribution

Options
  • 17-10-2013 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,062 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is probably a pretty simple topic but I cant seem to find a simple answer...

Do distributors buy products off you and go and sell them to whoever they like?

or

Do they simply store your product and delivery to wherever you tell them to, once you secure a sale?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Would depend on the agreement between the distributor and the manufacturer some have total control and some have very little from my dealings with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

I know this is probably a pretty simple topic but I cant seem to find a simple answer...

Do distributors buy products off you and go and sell them to whoever they like?

or

Do they simply store your product and delivery to wherever you tell them to, once you secure a sale?

Thanks

While there is some cross over, most distributors are in choice A. They give you a margin on your product and then sell it on to retailers who pay them a margin. The advantage of distributers is they will buy from you in volume. The disadvantage is you need to allow for their margin in your pricing.

Choice B is more a fulfillment type company. They will hold your stock and dispatch it for you to your customers.

Advertisement