Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass around base of rose bushes

• 17-10-2013 7:15pm

I'm trying to tidy up a local Grotto. Wild grass seems to keep growing around the root of the rose bushes in the flower beds. I took a lot of it away but it grows back with a vengeance. It also looks atrocious.

Is there any way to kill this grass without harming the rose bushes please? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Have another dig and get rid of as much as you can. But then put a mulch around the base of he bushes to smoother what's left and prevent more from growing. Bark mulch is nice and effective. But something like compost or manure will feed the roses too. Be sure to feed at the right times though ie. early spring and throughout the growing season.

• Thanks redser...

Just one thing, dont pile the mulch right up against the rose bush stems as that can lead to rot. Just leave a little ring immediately around these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I'm trying to tidy up a local Grotto. Wild grass seems to keep growing around the root of the rose bushes in the flower beds. I took a lot of it away but it grows back with a vengeance. It also looks atrocious.

Is there any way to kill this grass without harming the rose bushes please? Thank you!

Why not simply spray the unwanted grass? If you're nervous about any potential damage to roses, simply wrap with newspaper or protective plastic. Alternatively use a hand spray in the area immediately around roses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭blackbox

Roundup in a hand sprayer.

• Advertisement

But why use a nasty chemical when a simple mulch will do the job? Look better, last longer, and if using compost or manure feed the plants too. No danger of wind drift or seeping into ground water as it's been recently proved happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I agree with redser, another thing you can do is grow a ground cover plant that would be competition to the weeds once the ground is cleared and covered with mulch. Poached egg plants, aubretia, etc. even geraniums .

redser7 wrote: »
    But why use a nasty chemical when a simple mulch will do the job? Look better, last longer, and if using compost or manure feed the plants too. No danger of wind drift or seeping into ground water as it's been recently proved happens.

Nasty chemical? Choice of synthetic/organic!
    Last longer than what? :confused: Mulch decomposes and blows around:(

Surprised you haven't heard the negative press about glyphosate.
    You need to retreat the area with weed killer again when new seed germinates. Mulches need replenishing of course, but I would argue not as often as weed killer. Lay it down thick enough. Consider weed suppressing membrane too.

Surprised you haven't heard the negative press about glyphosate.
    You need to retreat the area with weed killer again when new seed germinates. Mulches need replenishing of course, but I would argue not as often as weed killer. Lay it down thick enough. Consider weed suppressing membrane too.

Why do you assume I haven't heard anything?

There's plenty of scary hype about using weedkiller but in the real world there is hardly a practical alternative in amenity landscaping for controlling weeds, unless of course you have endless amounts of time, energy, money etc to be pulling weeds? Given the nature of the site, getting down on hands and knees does appropriate.

Most weedkillers (incl G) biodegrade on contact with soil. I doubt the potential risks if any given the site characteristics (grotto) are a major concern?

If the OP has any concerns, an organic (acetic acid/vinegar base) weedkiller can be used. Depending on the levels of weed infestation, how long it has been established etc, repeated applications may be necessary.

Still if there is an abundance of optimism and patience, retro-fitting a membrane around established roses in theory at least is also an option.

• Advertisement

I guess as a professional you have to be pragmatic. It is a shame as i believe it damages the environment. But amateur gardeners have the luxury of choice and I would try to offer organic solutions. I've seen bushes overgrown with grass and weeds around the base and with something like roundup I think there's a strong chance you could damage the rose bush.
    Btw, it's not scary hype about glyphosate. But that's a sideshow on this thread I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I guess as a professional you have to be pragmatic. It is a shame as i believe it damages the environment. But amateur gardeners have the luxury of choice and I would try to offer organic solutions. I've seen bushes overgrown with grass and weeds around the base and with something like roundup I think there's a strong chance you could damage the rose bush.
    Btw, it's not scary hype about glyphosate. But that's a sideshow on this thread I guess.

If it's scutch grass then mulching won't keep it down. I've had it in a rose bed in the past and if untreated it just keeps spreading and getting stronger.
    I agree with the careful application of roundup.

Advertisement