Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is wearing make-up a 'betrayal'?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

You have awful high standards I can't imagine many live up to your expectations :D

These types of woman are just more fun than the bun-headed, prude in a cardigan with arms folded protectively across her breasts. :D

• MonaPizza wrote: »
    These types of woman are just more fun than the bun-headed, prude in a cardigan with arms folded protectively across her breasts. :D

Cardigans and buns are trendy now. All the slutty girls wear them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Buns and leather jackets from Zara are all the rage, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I never wear any make-up at all on weekdays. Well, not when I'm at work. I'll throw some on if I am going out to dinner or something.

My skin is luckily quite clear! I do kinda need mascara alright because my eyelashes are so light..but I get up quite early for work and stare at a computer screen all day so my eyes get rubbed a lot.. :pac:

I do look better with make-up but don't mind going without it.

If a girl feels more confident with make up, then she would wear it! It shouldn't concern anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

Misogynist? GTFO honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

Don't have time to go back and quote.

What a surprise.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

MonaPizza wrote: »

There is a middle ground you know, we're not all either slutty whores or uptight prudes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Tony EH wrote: »
    [/I]

I would consider the exploitative nature of the cosmetics industry a rather "depressing" (to use your term) situation, wouldn't you?

From an increasingly young age, females are bombarded with images of how they should look and of what products they should buy to attain that look, even though "beauty" is defined in different extremities with every passing decade.

It's an industry that thrives on making women feel **** about themselves in order to sell them a "cure" and that price of that "cure" is often a large strain on a young girls finances.

The entire industry is about subtly breaking down the person and then offering them a "way out".

Read some of the replies on here alone. Pretty girls that are perfectly fine without the warpaint saying that they couldn't go out without it.

Seems to me like it's you who are deciding for them that they are perfectly fine without the makeup, ever think that in most cases they just happen to like putting some on before going out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,174 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm not deciding anything for anybody. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

MonaPizza wrote: »
    I have a weakness for slutty, tarty women so for me I like the sleazy mascara, eyeshadow, dark lipstick, etc. I also like whorish strappy platform stilleto hooker shoes, tight skirts with a big slit up the back and so on. Hence I like makeup on women.

Having said that I don't really like fake accessories like false eyelashes, nails and certainly not fake boobs. Tattoos are ok but not loads of them. A nice slutty tramp stamp.
    Hate the Irish orange face makeup though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

beks101 wrote: »
    There is a middle ground you know, we're not all either slutty whores or uptight prudes

I seem to have missed the memo about the approved uniform for dressing according to your sexual proclivities too.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's me bare-faced, with my "daily" make-up on, and a full night-out face.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81528912&postcount=24

I do think some people are taking the entire thing very seriously, questioning why women can't just be happy "as they are". I'm perfectly happy to go out and about with no make-up on. But yes, I do think I look better with it, so sue me. And where do you draw the line? I had braces as a teen to improve my teeth, should I have just been happy as they were and not bothered getting them fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If it gives you a boost go for it, however if it is becoming a mask that you have to have that's not good. I know someone who wont speak at work meeting unless they have make up on as they say they feel more confidant with it on.

As for it being a betrayal that's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

And there's where the problem lies. That wouldn't be the majority then, would it?
    You're avoiding the question by latching onto minor misuse of words.

Many, many women say in all sorts of media that wearing makeup makes them feel better and they can feel insecure without it. The reason they feel insecure is because they're being judged by other women and themselves judging those other women and they know it's happening. That is competition.

The reason there's good and bad makeup, or someones makeup is better than others is down to competition. I'm firmly of the believe there's little difference between human behaviour and most other animals. The way a bower bird makes a nest that's in competition with the other males of his species to be better looking to attract a mate, is no different to a human woman dressing up competitively against other women to eventually attract a mate.

Humans can wrap all kinds of basic animal behaviour up in complexity but at the end of the day, it's just competition for reproduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

ScumLord wrote: »
    Humans can wrap all kinds of basic animal behaviour up in complexity but at the end of the day, it's just competition for reproduction.

Somebody had better go tell Durex the game is up! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I havent put make up on since I read this thread! Im being brainwashed!!!

Also, it feels so good to be able to rub my eyes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

I havent put make up on since I read this thread! Im being brainwashed!!!

Also, it feels so good to be able to rub my eyes :D

I hear you, smudge free eyes are great! :D

Advertisement