Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is wearing make-up a 'betrayal'?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

JenEffy wrote: »
    I think it can be a betrayal. Anyone who's watched Jenna Marbles' videos knows that she looks gorgeous with makeup and almost ugly without it. She's very talented at doing her makeup. The same can be said of Katy Perry, except in her case she has makeup artists doing hers.

But isn't it obvious she's wearing make up in that video? Surely a betrayal is when you're hiding something; the quantity of make they're wearing is hardly subtle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

ScumLord wrote: »
    But most women think they're ugly. They don't have to be exceptional to look good without makeup. I'm certain that in a few decades if makeup went out of fashion (which is all it is) women would look back on these days and wonder what ye were at. It's an accepted norm at the moment.

Of course they are, makeup does not automatically make you good looking.

This is all hearsay.

Loads of what humans do is just subconscious animal behaviour. It's across the board and not just related to attracting the opposite sex.

I think a big part of overcoming your animal side is to accept it. being aware of the fact you're an animal allows you to see the parts of you that are instinctive and reactionary. Everything we do is routed in common and basic animal needs.

The animal side? are we not animals ourselves? Then being animals, we shouldn't have to think about consequence! There's a limit to absolutely everything, and to the rest? "ah shure"....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

renraw wrote: »
    Lads wear make-up, all the time. It doesn't matter if its called concealer or whatever...Some lads will play the "innocence" card and say they never indulged...

I thought Michael Jackson was dead.

Michael, is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Something that can make a person look better is not just a "fashion". By that logic you could say flattering clothes are just a fashion. It's been around in some shape or form for millennia, so your "at the moment" stuff is a fallacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Manassas61

But most women think they're ugly.
    That is because most women in certain countries are ordinary and they need the make up to hide that. Which is fine if that is what they want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JenEffy

But isn't it obvious she's wearing make up in that video? Surely a betrayal is when you're hiding something; the quantity of make they're wearing is hardly subtle.

I suppose "betrayal" is the wrong word. I just think young girls need to be taught that celebrities aren't any better-looking than anyone else, they just have access to amazing makeup artists. Everyone is responsible for their own self-esteem but I think it's still an important thing to teach people.

I thought Michael Jackson was dead.

Michael, is that you?

Really? No seriously? is that the best you can do bubbles? And to think I thought the best!

Really? No seriously? is that the best you can do bubbles? And to think I thought the best!

I'll see your Bubbles and raise you Captain Spaulding.

JenEffy wrote: »
    I suppose "betrayal" is the wrong word. I just think young girls need to be taught that celebrities aren't any better-looking than anyone else, they just have access to amazing makeup artists. Everyone is responsible for their own self-esteem but I think it's still an important thing to teach people.

The use of the word "betrayal" is used by the DM to make women feel **** about themselves. Damned if they do (try to look nice), damned if they don't (this is the kind of paper that would do a whole page story on the declining looks of Sinead O' Connor, for example). This paper hates women and shouldn't be supported by any of us.

I notice that the OP hasn't come back to comment after that solitary post.

Probably a journalist trying to write an article on poorly conceived Daily Mail stories. Pin out, toss grenade. Stand back and watch.

Artless imitating artless. Harrumph.

• Advertisement

Oh and even if you are hot by their standards, they'll do their damnedest to catch you out and feature you on their Sidebar of Shame acting like a normal woman doing normal womanly things like get out of a car. Unfortunately for you, they'll have a camera lense shoved up your skirt in order to give you something to feel shameful about.

I cringe/despair to think that that this paper's largest readership is women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I was considering posting a before and after pic of me but I think Ive changed my mind!

Ahh fook it anyway. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭FurQyou

Lads wear make-up, all the time. It doesn't matter if its called concealer or whatever...Some lads will play the "innocence" card and say they never indulged... Any man that values what he looks like will know that regardless of whatever, they want to look good and not "wearing make up" means a maintenance thing. Looking good is something all lads want to do, but not have wearing "Make-up" as being a "betrayal"?? what?? a betrayal?? seriously??? jumping jebus, its 2013! If all a man has to worry about is spot welding with make-up...then it might be a beautiful day...somehow?!?!?!...

:confused: Wtf?

Seriously though, I pity the fool who takes that yoke in the picture back home..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lads wear make-up, all the time. It doesn't matter if its called concealer or whatever...Some lads will play the "innocence" card and say they never indulged...
    Eh no. Eh wut? Ehhhhhh[in general]. Plus the only concealer likely to work in my favour is a sack with an eyehole. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Manassas61 wrote: »
    Some countries females don't really require that much make up because they look beautiful and don't have to do a lot of work on the face. One of the reasons Irish females are caked in make up is because in general (not all) they aren't that good looking and need to use the make up to hide up insecurities.
    Manassas61 wrote: »
    That is because most women in certain countries are ordinary and they need the make up to hide that.
    FurQyou wrote: »
    I pity the fool who takes that yoke in the picture back home..
    'Tis a real mystery all right that women would wear make-up, with such delightfully self esteem building attitudes as the above...

Just out of curiosity also, what is the deal with women's dress sizes?

Are they designed specifically to us look like gob****es when you want to buy the missus something nice for valentine's day (;)) or what?

:confused: Wtf?

Seriously though, I pity the fool who takes that yoke in the picture back home..

Really, seriously??? In fairness! Absolute fool!

'Tis a real mystery all right that women would wear make-up, with such delightfully self esteem building attitudes as the above...

I'm sure there's an equally ugly bloke somewhere who'd be happy to give her one... and he won't have the luxury of wearing makeup to disguise his hideous visage..

Really, seriously??? In fairness! Absolute fool!
    Your posts just confuse me chief..

Wibbs wrote: »
    Eh no. Eh wut? Ehhhhhh[in general]. Plus the only concealer likely to work in my favour is a sack with an eyehole. :D

Applause to Wibbs, Ladies and Gentlemen! Wow! Is that a moderators rule? that you are so condescending???

• Advertisement

Your posts just confuse me chief..

After what? 23 posts on boards.ie. and I'm "confusing"?...

Applause to Wibbs, Ladies and Gentlemen! Wow! Is that a moderators rule? that you are so condescending???
    More like bewilderment than condescension. Your post is pretty abstract stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Just out of curiosity also, what is the deal with women's dress sizes?

Are they designed specifically to us look like gob****es when you want to buy the missus something nice for valentine's day (;)) or what?
    understand but not this make it no make to sense sentence?

More like bewilderment than condescension. Your post is pretty abstract stuff.

Abstract? When I place comprehension on comment? please, leave it there...k?

After what? 23 posts on boards.ie. and I'm "confusing"?...
    Also (this is a secret mind you, but i'll tell you since we're such good mates!)

.. this isn't my only profile! :eek:

pharmaton wrote: »
    understand but not this make it no make to sense sentence?

Me no unnastan!

Abstract? When I place comprehension on comment? please, leave it there...k?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Me no unnastan!
    me neither. I think beards are like man make up only they grow them organically by themselves.

No.

Ok, soo...where does this go?

Me to you? Leave it there, just be happy...k??

• Advertisement

"Join date...May 2013..." grand...

Advertisement