Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is wearing make-up a 'betrayal'?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

People do things for different reasons. Just cos the girls you know wear heels for other women, doesn't mean we all do.

I never said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

SV wrote: »
    I'm only repeating what has been said to me. Obviously it doesn't count for you, then.

It was actually the shoes thing that brought it up, I asked them why they bother with high heels at all when they cause them so much pain, which led on to the clothes discussion.
    Because they make me taller, they strengthen the calf muscles in my legs. They're more comfortable on my right foot than flats because I broke my ankle and the slant is more comfy for me. I love shoes, and enjoy wearing beautiful ones. They improve my posture, and they can really make an outfit.

And one time when a crazy older lady threatened to hit me with her 2 inch court shoe on a night out, mine was 3inches higher and more spikey, so they're like self defence weapons too ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You're just putting your own subjective slant on what she said - it's really bizarre. :confused: How can you prove this so-called "competitive element"?
    Why do some to most women feel insecure without makeup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

SV wrote: »
    I never said that.

Who continue to wear their heels even though they cause them pain for other women then.

Lexie explained why she wears hers. Being individuals, we do things for different reasons.

Most women I know change into flats or take them off. Actually most women I know don't wear heels on a night out. Not very common here.

ScumLord wrote: »

Some to most? Which is it?

How can you possibly prove that? Again, you're own theory dressed up as fact.

And even if it was true, how does it prove your point about competitiveness among us in the form of make up wearing competitions? Surely it just means that the women don't like how they look without it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

Some posters make these threads really unpleasent. It's a light hearted conversation but as usual the Know-it-alls turn it into a grind to read.

Some posters make these threads really unpleasent. It's a light hearted conversation but as usual the Know-it-alls turn it into a grind to read.

Was that directed at me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Bullseye

Even if no conscious competition is taking place amongst women, I believe competition is taking place nonetheless. Whether it is competition to feel good or for male attention. I contend the better a woman feels in comparison other women the better she feels, this applies to women who dress up and apply make up of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Photos can be deceiving. The girl who posted the before photo with the cold sores - horrible lighting and an unflattering angle. You'd have to see someone in person to make a better judgment.

That would be me. It was the exact same lighting in both photos. I'm gonna do a full on front one instead of the bad unflattering angle and change it. I should have done the same angle for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Manassas61

Who continue to wear their heels even though they cause them pain for other women then.

Lexie explained why she wears hers. Being individuals, we do things for different reasons.

Most women I know change into flats or take them off. Actually most women I know don't wear heels on a night out. Not very common here.
    The thread is about make up and ordinary looking women using make up to make themselves feel better. I don't think there is anything wrong with just admitting that.

Its obvious that is why make up is slapped on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Bullseye wrote: »
    Even if no conscious competition is taking place amongst women, I believe competition is taking place nonetheless. Whether it is competition to feel good or for male attention. I contend the better a woman feels in comparison other women the better she feels, this applies to women who dress up and apply make up of course.
    But if I (again just my own perspective) was to go and try compete with other women, I'd be severely disappointed all the time and I'm sure I would have even worse self esteem issues. I learned years ago, accept what you were given. I'm not the best looking young(ish) one out there, but I work with what I've got and sure feck it, isn't that all you can do, at the end of the day?

Manassas61 wrote: »
    The thread is about make up and ordinary looking women using make up to make themselves feel better. I don't think there is anything wrong with just admitting that.

Its obvious that is why make up is slapped on.

But I never denied that was the case. I'd agree, in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Are you sure you've got yourself covered enough there? "some to most", jesus... :pac:

I don't know why ScumLord you're quite so adamant about this whole make up malarkey but honestly, your posts in this thread so far have been nothing short of ridiculous generalisations, misguided perceived insight and just downright conjecture.

You started off trying to speak for most men, thinking that just because you think a certain way, ALL men must think that way (that "we don't care" in one of your earlier posts), and when that was completely debunked, you've changed tack and gone for putting forward how "some to most" women think, just because YOU think they must think that way.

How can you honestly expect Legs to answer a question on behalf of "some to most" women when you yourself haven't listened to ANYONE else's opinion on this thread who has disagreed with you and told you that you're wrong to think everybody thinks the same way you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fat Nav

We are all unique.
    If someone likes to wear makeup or not as the case may be for whatever reason that's grand with me either way.
    What really matters is the persons personality and if you get on together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

What makes someone beautiful is subject to change, what's considered flattering changes. Human society is very transient, what's popular today can seem horrid tomorrow. Humans attached meaning to clothing, you don't see people going around with puffed out pantaloons like the kings did back in the day, because the meaning has changed.
    Of course. But make-up has pretty much always been around in some shape or form, just different styles of it. For example, in the early 80s it was all garish colours and absolutely trowelled on. Whereas it became really toned down compared to that in the years since, but it's still here.

Of course. But make-up has pretty much always been around in some shape or form, just different styles of it. For example, in the early 80s it was all garish colours and absolutely trowelled on. Whereas it became really toned down compared to that in the years since, but it's still here.

I instantly thought of Boy George and "Karma Chameleon" when I read that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Some to most? Which is it?
    The majority.

I'm only going off what you're saying in the thread, so far you've all said you wear makeup because you'd feel insecure without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

lukesmom wrote: »
    That would be me. It was the exact same lighting in both photos.

It's a very harsh light that will show up any sort of imperfections. It's too yellow looking.

The majority.

I'm only going off what you're saying in the thread, so far you've all said you wear makeup because you'd feel insecure without it.

And there's where the problem lies. That wouldn't be the majority then, would it?

And not ALL of us said that.

Now I know you're just winding me up. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,174 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Originally Posted by The Big Smoke View Post
    Blokes don't have the luxury of covering it up. I get spots too and it sucks.

At least you get to cover them up.
    I know and I do sympathise with lads in that regard. I don't know how they cope.

Because spots are temporary. So to are the majority of little skin blemishes that may blight a face at a given time. Getting het up about nonsense like that just isn't worth your time.

And if someone was to turn their nose up at you cos of a couple of spots...that's not the person for you at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    It's a very harsh light that will show up any sort of imperfections. It's too yellow looking.

Ok I have just taken all the makeup off and have a photo its a bit more forgiving shiny forehead n all

4G6z8L.jpg

Genuinely don't know how you could call yourself ugly. I don't get it. :confused:

Genuinely don't know how you could call yourself ugly. I don't get it. :confused:

Not with makeup but without pretty bad. And I'm not fishing either for compliments. I feel a million times better with makeup on me it's like a security blanket.

I think it's a lot to do with our own perceptions of ourselves Legs tbh, I've found there's times when I couldn't give a toss about how I look, I'm "comfortable", but then when I'd do myself up, shower and shave, etc, I feel much better about myself because I LOOK better.

Same thing really with putting on make up -
    because some women (and men) feel they look better when they wear it. It's the same reason some men take the extra time grooming themselves to look good, because if they feel they look good, then they feel good.

Make up, male grooming, whatever a person chooses to call it, some people are comfortable and confident with the bare minimum of effort, some people aren't comfortable with themselves but choose to make no effort, and then some people are more comfortable and confident because they've made the effort and they feel they look good so they feel good.

I'm not sure why the word "betrayal" was even used here tbh because if a person can't tell when someone has put in as much effort as we see in the second photo in that article, that's not her fault, it's the fault of the person that should've gone to specsavers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

That is one of the better excuses reasons I've heard for putting on makeup. Like I've been saying it's an aesthetic challenge that women like to do and there is a competitive element to it.

I'm a woman and I'm telling you that competition is the last thing on my mind when I'm applying my makeup. I couldn't give a crap how much other women are going to be wearing or how good it's going to make them look - I just want to enjoy the process and leave the house looking my personal best - because I like feeling good about myself. I like feeling attractive. It plays into my self confidence.

There can be an artistic element to it too, playing around with colours, brushes, pencils, shades, tones etc, akin to an artist with a palette and a clean canvass - you can get playful, creative, adventurous with it.

Are you a woman? Have you personally played with makeup and your self-image? How many women is it going to take to tell you that we're not all using makeup as some kind of weapon against other women, before you believe it?

Strange how you're unwilling to let go of this one, despite the countless women - who enjoy wearing makeup regularly - telling you otherwise.

Maybe he enjoys the thought of women being b!tchy and in competition with each other. Like Americas next top model or similar. Believe it or not we just like make up for no other reason then it makes us feel good.

Maybe he enjoys the thought of women being b!tchy and in competition with each other. Like Americas next top model or similar. Believe it or not we just like make up for no other reason then it makes us feel good.

Some men really have that idea in their heads about women and I do think the ****e they broadcast on telly has a lot to do with it with catty women biting the heads off each other; they'd probably be sorely disappointed if they discovered the mundane reasoning behind most of the stuff we do.

I can't apply make up, so don't try anything experimental (except very red lip stain earlier this year which I liked a lot). How did you learn how to do it?

I can't apply make up, so don't try anything experimental (except very red lip stain earlier this year which I liked a lot). How did you learn how to do it?

I don't actually remember how I learnt . I do know that in secondary school I somehow thought that plastering my face in ivory pan stick was a good look :) I heard somewhere that blending is key and to try accentuate your best bits like eyes, cheekbones etc. YouTube have some great tutorials but I normally get bored halfway through.

• Advertisement

I like how make up can look on other women and would love to give it a lash but I've no interest in it, those vids bore me to tears and I've no patience for it at all. I like to spend the minimum amount of time getting ready and I don't think that's going to change. It doesn't really bother me though.

Would love to know how to put on black (pencil) eyeliner properly though!

Advertisement