Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Congrats Dustie and Mary, absolutely delighted for you both. Any names yet?

MissFire, I get a little scan at every visit and they take measurements of the head and belly and get the weight from that. I'd say it's not madly accurate tbh.

I'd love to say no visitors in the hospital but I know it will go down like a lead balloon with the in laws. My family are up the country so I won't have that many. I'm just a bit awkward about trying to breast feed in front of people and trying to get the hang of it and trying to keep covered. If I'm really struggling I might say it to my husband to ask them not to stay long. I don't mind the grandparents so much, but his mother minds his nieces and nephews so I bet they'll bring them along too and I know I'll be allergic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Huge congrats girls so delighted for you both on the babas and that you're all doing well!

My stomach started some sort of clear out from yesterday evening and I've been getting increased discharge so I was kinda like this may happen soon! In reality I'm sure it's just all the extra fruit and veg we've been eating causing a dodgy tummy but you never know!:D I'm 38 weeks tomorrow so it could happen!

Are any of you really nervous about labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JL14

Hi ladies,

Mind if I join you? I am due a girl June 17th and have been keeping a very close eye on this thread for the past weeks. Without saying hi, I know, how bald 😂

Congrats to the first mum's :-)

As June is getting closer I figured I do need somewhere to vent all these thoughts, worries and butterflies that has started to take over!

Hospital Bag is packed although I think I've way overdid the baby clothing. They will think we will be staying in until she has gone up a size....other than that, my mood is going havoc! Not to mention the mother in law topic...

Anyhow, hi to you all :-)

Welcome JL! It's definitely getting to a nerve wracking stage and I think we're all getting a bit nervous. What hospital are you attending? A little girl - that's lovely. I deliberately didn't find out cos I knew I'd buy far too much if I knew! The girls stuff especially is so cute. I'm due next Tuesday in CUMH

SmokeyEyes, I am nervous about the birth, but to be honest I'm trying not to think too much about it. I've researched all the different stages and what might/could go wrong but when it comes to it, as a first timer I don't think you can ever be fully prepared. The baby has to come out some way or other so I'm just hoping I'll be able to cope when the time comes and will avail of whatever pain relief I can get my grubby paws on!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Hi ladies haven't posted in a while! Congrats to the new arrivals!
    All good here with me I'm due Monday, had hospital app today and all is well if no movement then I'll be in next week for a sweep. Exciting times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

Hi all! Finally home from hospital and feeling rested. Baby took a few days to settle but is sleeping now for 3-4 hours at a time which makes everything manageable. Being a mum is unreal.. I was never a baby-person but I cannot get enough of this little one.

One tip for the mums.. try and get loads of sleep during the day in the hospital when your OH is there. Even get them to bring baby to day room.. as the nights are so tough when its just you trying to mind baby. I found that part so hard, the nurses help a bit but if there busy its you alone with a crying baby. I was so tired as I probably didnt get more than 5 hours sleep in 3 days. Some of it is due to the hormone high and doesnt feel too bad. Had 8 hours last night when OH took baby and everything is good today!

Best of luck everyone.. its all worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ncmc wrote: »
    Congrats Dustie and Mary, absolutely delighted for you both. Any names yet?

MissFire, I get a little scan at every visit and they take measurements of the head and belly and get the weight from that. I'd say it's not madly accurate tbh.

I'd love to say no visitors in the hospital but I know it will go down like a lead balloon with the in laws. My family are up the country so I won't have that many. I'm just a bit awkward about trying to breast feed in front of people and trying to get the hang of it and trying to keep covered. If I'm really struggling I might say it to my husband to ask them not to stay long. I don't mind the grandparents so much, but his mother minds his nieces and nephews so I bet they'll bring them along too and I know I'll be allergic
    Only siblings are allowed visit in hospital, no other children.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

It's here! It's here! JUNE IS HERE!! eeeekk...

MissFire wrote: »

I actually can't believe it's our month there was a strane comfort knowing there was months of girls before us:-)

Starting to feel ready, well as ready as I can be. Would love to go slightly early or on time naturally but I clearly have very little say in the matter....it's up to the little man to decide when he's ready:-)

Welcome JL! It's definitely getting to a nerve wracking stage and I think we're all getting a bit nervous. What hospital are you attending? A little girl - that's lovely. I deliberately didn't find out cos I knew I'd buy far too much if I knew! The girls stuff especially is so cute. I'm due next Tuesday in CUMH

SmokeyEyes, I am nervous about the birth, but to be honest I'm trying not to think too much about it. I've researched all the different stages and what might/could go wrong but when it comes to it, as a first timer I don't think you can ever be fully prepared. The baby has to come out some way or other so I'm just hoping I'll be able to cope when the time comes and will avail of whatever pain relief I can get my grubby paws on!

Ncmc - 2 days to due date for you. Any signs? I'm in CUMH too and so far I have been nothing but happy with the doc's and midwives. I was admitted for a weekend recently due to high blood pressure. Despite the whole hospital experience and worry it actually calmed the pre delivery nerves quite a bit. Seeing the staff and the care, in my opinion they are amazing!

June is here and once again congratulations to all new mums. In a few weeks time I hope we have all told our stories :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭xxtippchickxx

ahh im due im 1st thursday clinic on tuesday and ive still no sign of labour not even a braon hick :(

Anyone else swelling up and down with this heat? Even my fingers are swollen with the heat:(

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

dustie1 wrote: »
    Hi all! Finally home from hospital and feeling rested. Baby took a few days to settle but is sleeping now for 3-4 hours at a time which makes everything manageable. Being a mum is unreal.. I was never a baby-person but I cannot get enough of this little one.

One tip for the mums.. try and get loads of sleep during the day in the hospital when your OH is there. Even get them to bring baby to day room.. as the nights are so tough when its just you trying to mind baby. I found that part so hard, the nurses help a bit but if there busy its you alone with a crying baby. I was so tired as I probably didnt get more than 5 hours sleep in 3 days. Some of it is due to the hormone high and doesnt feel too bad. Had 8 hours last night when OH took baby and everything is good today!

Best of luck everyone.. its all worth it!

Oh my God I am so jealous. I barely get 2 hours of sleep from baba at a time, and by the time I've settled I might get an hour if I'm lucky. I'm surviving on 3 hours or so in a 24 hour period. He's a hungry little fella, and when he cluster feeds I feel like my boobs are going to fall off! I'm hoping to get out to buy a pump today, if we can manage it.

Otherwise all is good and he's a little dote. We're home since yesterday and poor OH got a shock last night when he realised how little he sleeps!

June is here girls, excited to hear about the new arrivals!

I'm bottle feeding so its meant to increase sleeping times... but it has its downsides. My LO gets terrible gas pains and its so difficult to see her scrunched up face in pain. We had been using the hospital disposable bottles but have moved on to our own Tommee Tippee now and its a bit better, but I've ordered special anti-colic Tippee bottles now. Anything that would give her some relief is worth it.

Its funny about the breastfeeding.. I wasnt overly invested in the idea before the baby was born. I said I'd try it out but had bottles bought expecting it not to last too long. But when she was born I got this big urge to really try. But as I'd gestational diabetes we needed her feeding early due to blood sugars so her first few feeds were from the bottle.. and she reacted to the massive boobs like I was trying to strangle her! So had been thinking of expressing when milk came in but in the end we needed to change my BP meds as it was going crazy and cant breastfeed on the new meds. So kinda disappointed now that milk has come in and i'm leaking all over the place that its no good for her. But she's doing well and I'm improving so thats main thing

Dustie and Mary, glad to hear you're both getting on well. I'm sure the first week feels like total shell shock! What did you name your babies? Sorry to hear the breast feeding didn't work out Dustie, but don't feel bad about it, all any of us can do is our best and hope it works out.

All quiet with me, nothing at all happening. I'd be amazed if the baby arrives this week. Hospital app on Wednesday so I might know more then. The warm weather is tough for the fluid retention. My fingers are like sausages an give put on 6lbs in a week which I'm sure is all fluid.

We called her Orla. The first week is a rush and shell shock but newborns sleep a good bit too so its not too bad. I found hospital the hardest as I didnt sleep much. Staying with my parents at the mo for the extra help and its brilliant!

I hated the fluid retention ncmc so can totally sympathise! I had it so bad the last few weeks.. I found not only did my ankles swell but my entire foot including toes ballooned! I had to buy slippers 2 sizes bigger than normal! and my hands were also v bad. looking back at pics from last week I can barely believe how bad they were. The good news is its goes pretty fast after baby arrives. The midwives told me that and it wasnt much comfort at the time thou. I put on a load of weight the last few weeks which had to be fluid as I was still following the diabetic diet pretty strictly. I was surprised at this as nobody had mentioned this v unglamorous end of pregnancy.

Hope something happens for you soon though! But if you are swelling be sure and mention it at your hospital appt, the additional fluid can cause increased BP and its a vicious cycle.

Lovely name Dustie! I have a niece called Orla. My swelling isn't too bad thankfully, it's worse in the heat and when I've been busy or out for a walk. It eases when I elevate my legs so I think that's a good sign. Glad we are June mammies rather than August, wouldn't fancy a full summer of being pregnant!

Ah glad I'm not the only one with swelling at the moment, it's a pain in the bum!! Interesting that it'll up your weight my scales has me all over the place on a given week even though I'm working hard so this could explain why it randomly goes up and down again!

Had a piggy weekend so afraid to weigh myself until at least tomorrow when I've had a few good days under my belt!:D

had my 40week check up today im 39+5 was 1cm dilated so done a sweep heres hoping it helped and will get things moving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

One day overdue., cmon baby bear!!

• Advertisement

had my 40week check up today im 39+5 was 1cm dilated so done a sweep heres hoping it helped and will get things moving :)

Fantastic was that the first examination they did to check you? I havent had any but have an appointment tomo but not 39 weeks until the weekend!

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Fantastic was that the first examination they did to check you? I havent had any but have an appointment tomo but not 39 weeks until the weekend!

ya hun was the 1st internal that was done on me so u might be lucky :) best of luck tomorro hears hoping my sweep worked feeling crampish since

One day overdue now and not a stir.. only difference than before is that i get bouts of being absolutely shattered and need to lie down.. actually feel like im getting a cold or something, really hope im not!
    was back in hospital for two check ups since, and finally on tuesday consultant said he happy where babas head is now, such a relief! All that bouncing on ball worked! Im still walking 2km every day too and its helping back pain, although took yesterday off cause of tiredness..

its weird to think in a couple of days we could have a little baba, not scared about it or anything, just a bit daunting I guess.. ill agree wit the previous poster (think it was dustie) about getting sleep in the hospital during day when oh there.. after spending the few nights there I did notice that most nights it was the mammies on their own with crying babies cause midwives far too busy to deal with everyone, they will help when they can.. and the more I think about it, tell the visitors to flip off, they can see baba when your ready for that..

anyhow im off to bounce on ball a bit more now, I hope youre all doing ok :)

I'm 39 weeks tomorrow, had check up in Rotunda yesterday, bp was up again a little but still hanging in there in ok range and no protein. Doc just said if my bp did slip into high range by next week they'd look at getting stuff started for me!

I was a pig over the weekend so hope if i'm good for the week it'll stay the same or drop a little but at least either way next week I'll be 40 weeks and ready to go!

Feel very uncomfortable in bed at night now and have so many headaches, again because my bp and urine are ok they're not worried but I have a lot of tension headaches and I think it's a mix of hormones, sinus problems and the fact my wisdom teeth are coming down!

In general very excited though and I feel ready to do this, I'll panic when it happens but I'm ready for it to happen:D

Question for Dustie and contrary Mary..

After being in the hospital and giving birth so recently, is there anything on the hospital bag list you'd change or recommend?

Question for Dustie and contrary Mary..

After being in the hospital and giving birth so recently, is there anything on the hospital bag list you'd change or recommend?

Oh I'd love to hear this too as I can't close my bag....

Had a sweep this morning since the cervix was soft and been having back pain since 11am. We won't be getting our hopes up just yet but who knows..:-) I'm 38+6.

overdue by a day had a sweep tuesday looks like it didnt work come on baby mommy and daddy cant wait to meet ya

Dramatic couple of days for me ladies! Had hospital app on Wednesday and he felt the fluid levels around the baby had decreased since the previous week. Combined with the baby measuring a little small, he wasn't willing to let me go too much over. I presumed he'd arrange for me to be induced on the Monday but he said he didn't want to leave it over the weekend, they were booked out with inductions on Thursday and Friday so he wanted to start induction that evening! I was quite upset as I was really hoping to go by myself but I didn't have too much time to think about it.

I got the first gel at about 8pm and started getting cramps at about 10:30. They were very frequent but short but they were growing in intensity so I was brought to induction room for the night where I got a second gel. The pains were really strong now and I was on gas and air and pethadine. She gave me an internal at about 6am and my waters broke. The pain was too full on for me at this stage and was coming every minute so I was moved to labour ward were I got the epidural. Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows followed for about an hour and I was progressing along quite well, had got to 4cm but the babies heart rate was dropping with every contraction. Had I been closer to the end they may have let me carry on, but I had too far to go so an emergency section was needed.

It was a pretty stressful half hour, but to be fair, everything was really well explained and everyone was so nice. And so my little lady Christine made her entrance into the world at 8:55 yesterday, 7lbs 5 oz so not small at all! Recovering well from the section, will be in hospital til Monday unfortunately. Christine is just beautiful so she was worth every second!

Dramatic couple of days for me ladies! Had hospital app on Wednesday and he felt the fluid levels around the baby had decreased since the previous week. Combined with the baby measuring a little small, he wasn't willing to let me go too much over. I presumed he'd arrange for me to be induced on the Monday but he said he didn't want to leave it over the weekend, they were booked out with inductions on Thursday and Friday so he wanted to start induction that evening! I was quite upset as I was really hoping to go by myself but I didn't have too much time to think about it.

I got the first gel at about 8pm and started getting cramps at about 10:30. They were very frequent but short but they were growing in intensity so I was brought to induction room for the night where I got a second gel. The pains were really strong now and I was on gas and air and pethadine. She gave me an internal at about 6am and my waters broke. The pain was too full on for me at this stage and was coming every minute so I was moved to labour ward were I got the epidural. Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows followed for about an hour and I was progressing along quite well, had got to 4cm but the babies heart rate was dropping with every contraction. Had I been closer to the end they may have let me carry on, but I had too far to go so an emergency section was needed.

It was a pretty stressful half hour, but to be fair, everything was really well explained and everyone was so nice. And so my little lady Christine made her entrance into the world at 8:55 yesterday, 7lbs 5 oz so not small at all! Recovering well from the section, will be in hospital til Monday unfortunately. Christine is just beautiful so she was worth every second!

Oh wow, well firstly congratulations on the beautiful baby girl and delighted you and her are doing well!

It's actually insane that you have no idea what way things are going to go but thrilled for you that hospital made section as nice as they could for you. Also delighted to hear epidural is all I've dreamed in terms of sunshine and lollipops:)

Glad to hear recovery is going well for you am sure you're dying to get home but at least Monday is only a short weekend away:)

• Advertisement

The hospital bag is a tough one.. I'd just bring enough for first 1-2 days as I had my OH bringing away dirty clothes every day and bringing new stuff! I wouldnt bother with sheets for the baby cots. The midwives generally put a pillow case down and its much easier to change etc. I found I needed most of the baby stuff (but maybe not as many baby gros as I thought). Bring PJs and nightdresses to give you the options. Make sure they are cool fabrics as hospitals are roasting places. Also if you have section or complications you might have to wear compression stockings and PJs are much more comfortable if wearing them.
    Make sure the towel you pack is dark coloured and doesnt shed! My OH brought me a new towel and it left small fibres all over me. Bring some snacks as if your up at night with the baby it can help with energy levels. I found the breakfast biscuits great for that!

Advertisement