Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Dependant Student Rent

Options
  • 17-10-2013 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

I'm having an issue with Dublin City Council - they're charging rent for me because I have reached the age of 22 (I live at home with my parents). I appealed this and they stopped charging while I finished my undergrad, but now I'm doing a masters & they're charging again. They are assessing me on an imaginary income of 144 euro a week. I receive no income and am not entitled to any.

Their own website states: "In the case of a person who is 22-24 years and attending a full time course of education a submission must be made in this regard for them to also be considered as such."
    We wrote this submission (twice, they lost the first one and the second was hand delivered) and they basically said that I made the choice to further my education so I have to pay.

I'm just wondering if anyone can advise me on this - who do I go to next if the person who is supposed to deal with it in DCC isn't helping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So you've zero income yet travel to college each day and feed and cloth yourself ,or is all the of the above paid for by your parents or covered in a grant

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

My parents feed and clothe me. So now they're having to pay extra rent for me aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Muir wrote: »
    My parents feed and clothe me. So now they're having to pay extra rent for me aswell.

Terrible having to pay your way

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Gatling wrote: »

I didn't come for a lecture. I'm doing this course because it has a guaranteed job at the end of it, instead of finishing my undergrad and signing on the dole. Not an issue of not wanting to pay my way - I have no income, what do I pay my way with?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You appeal it to the Director of Services for Housing, then the city manager and then the Ombudsman..or something.

Do DCC have a service entitlement complaint process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gatling wrote: »
    No need for snideness.

Advertisement