Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Status Quo - O2 April 2014

Options
  • 17-10-2013 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭

So no thread on Status Quo next April in the O2?

Does this mean I'm out of touch, old, and not representative of boardsies? :P

Well I'm looking forward to it, and many others must be if the presale is still on and a lot of seats have been sold!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Jebus, I'm getting old. I was at their End of the Road Tour gig in the RDS in 1984!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

ollaetta wrote: »
    Jebus, I'm getting old. I was at their End of the Road Tour gig in the RDS in 1984!

Likewise, I was at the End of the Road show at the Glasgow Apollo in 1984.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I saw them in Castlebar a few years back but obviously that wasn't the Frantic Four line up. It was a great show with a huge amount of energy.

Kinda disappointed they are playing such a huge venue. Doubt it will sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It's the last date of the tour. I expect a lot of people will travel to see it.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I saw them in Castlebar a few years back but obviously that wasn't the Frantic Four line up. It was a great show with a huge amount of energy.

Kinda disappointed they are playing such a huge venue. Doubt it will sell out.

mightn't sell out but only seats left now are at the back really and that's only a couple of days after going on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

There is still standing tickets though yeah?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    There is still standing tickets though yeah?

"limited availability"...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

The top level of the O2 is closed completely for this so its only selling 5000 tickets that why the standing is gone already.

That's interesting. But given that nearly all seats are gone as well surely they will open up that top level?

Where did you hear about the 5000 seats?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I was wondering, if the standing is already gone, it sounds like it might be the same layout as it was for Rush and Fleetwood Mac, (the seating chart Optimum Standing)

where there is more tiered seating leading to a smaller standing area, as opposed to it being totally standing on the ground floor.

I would have thought, if this is the case and the demand was there for more standing tickets, that they'd change it to the general standing layout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

The wife has been instructed what to ge me for Christmas. Saw them in The Point but had seated tickets and swore that if I was going back there, I would get standing tickets, it looked so much more craic. the wife whould NOT be a Quo fan came with me and had a ball, complaining about neck pain for days after. Can't wait to see the originals.

so did she manage to get tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I would have thought, if this is the case and the demand was there for more standing tickets, that they'd change it to the general standing layout?

Not a chance, would be a nightmare to sort out, people who had bought great seats in lower tiers being told they'd have to stand or be moved higher up.

They've chosen this layout so they'll stick with it

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not a chance, would be a nightmare to sort out, people who had bought great seats in lower tiers being told they'd have to stand or be moved higher up.

They've chosen this layout so they'll stick with it

Still though, it seems strange not to have opted for the general standing layout, with a greater capacity, if there is the possibility of selling more tickets.

Considering that the standing area seems to be sold out at this stage, they could therefore have sold more of those tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Still though, it seems strange not to have opted for the general standing layout, with a greater capacity, if there is the possibility of selling more tickets.

Considering that the standing area seems to be sold out at this stage, they could therefore have sold more of those tickets.

They (Band/Management) were probably told by MCD what layouts were available for the gig and they chose this one.

I can see why, if they had the full standing area it would have sold what, maybe half, less even, which could have affected seat sales, making the half arena (top closed off) look even quieter, this way it's gonna look pretty full.

Also factor in the average age of the Quo fan and ya can sort of see why they went for more seats

looks like they have opened up the back blocks and selling out those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Got an email from MCD to say there's a few more tickets on sale, seems to be seating only

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sevenshades

Slightly off topic, but I'm heading up with my brother for the gig and I was wondering where to go beforehand to get into form for the gig i.e where the people going to the gig would be heading to 'limber up'! I thought of Bruxelles and maybe Fibbers but there might be somewhere else I'm missing. Any ideas?

Slightly off topic, but I'm heading up with my brother for the gig and I was wondering where to go beforehand to get into form for the gig i.e where the people going to the gig would be heading to 'limber up'! I thought of Bruxelles and maybe Fibbers but there might be somewhere else I'm missing. Any ideas?

Personally prefer to get down to the location and sup up knowing that you've arrived - couple of bars beside the O2.

Saw the set-list from other shows, maybe naïve of me but I was sort of expecting a few numbers like 'Whatever you want', "Rocking all over the world", "in the army now" etc but none of these hits being played - they are keeping to the old stuff.. a tad disappointing but I guess that's not the purpose of this get together.

Personally prefer to get down to the location and sup up knowing that you've arrived - couple of bars beside the O2.

Saw the set-list from other shows, maybe naïve of me but I was sort of expecting a few numbers like 'Whatever you want', "Rocking all over the world", "in the army now" etc but none of these hits being played - they are keeping to the old stuff.. a tad disappointing but I guess that's not the purpose of this get together.

This tour, as far as I know, concentrates on the era of the band up to 1976, when they recorded the Live album in October 1976 which was released in 1977.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live!_(Status_Quo_album)

They play all those hits on the other, current line up, that was over here as recently as last June in Derry.

This should be a great gig, I was well happy when it was announced, considering they didn't play here when they did the UK shows in March last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Was at the gig tonight with my Dad and was pretty disappointed as were the others around where we were sitting.

It's more his era than mine but given all the ads with Larry Gogan saying it was their final gig really expected more. I only knew a few songs and there were big hits missing like 'Rocking All Over the world', 'In the Army Now' etc. I saw them once before at the Curragh racecourse about 2 years ago and they played all the hits and it was a great show but tonight.

They barely interacted with the audience and seemed just to be there to hoover up the money. Full house but poor show.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I very much disagree with Conor in my opinion. I thought it was stunning. The gig was billed as the 'Frantic Four' Status Quo which is the 1970-1976 studio albums. A few people near me where not aware of this also and were waiting on the later hits. This era of Quo is my favourite so I was delighted with tonight. The band were so tight, sound was great. The songs were fantastic (setlist below) The ground floor was hopping. Heads down rocking all night. I really enjoyed it, it's a pity we won't see this line up again. Also it was filmed for a DVD.

Junior's Wailing
    Backwater
    Just Take Me
    Is There a Better Way
    In My Chair
    Blue Eyed Lady
    Little Lady
    Most of the Time
    Rain
    (April) Spring, Summer and Wednesdays
    Railroad
    Oh Baby
    Forty-Five Hundred Times / Gotta Go Home
    Big Fat Mama
    Down Down
    Roadhouse Blues

Caroline
    Bye Bye Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Stunning performance from the Frantic Four tonight. The place was heaving and rocking. A few people around me didn't understand that this was the early seventies line up. However, most people seemed to realise what it was. The reaction to 4500 Times said as much.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Anyone catch Sal Vitro?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Anyone catch Sal Vitro?

I caught the last 2 and a bit songs. Thought they were cool, they have a good sound, fitted the evening well as a support I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Gone to 55 quo gigs im my life.
    Went to the reunion tour last year in England. First time I've seen the FF last year.

Tonight was just stunning. Best gig ive ever been to. . And to the people pissing and moaning about in the army not being played, I'm laughing my tits off at you right now!!

Should have done your research before you bought a ticket!! This line up of Quo never even recorded it Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

That was the first time I've ever seen Quo live, and I'll admit that I wasn't overly familiar with some of the material, but I though it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

bclar12 wrote: »
    And to the people pissing and moaning about in the army not being played,

People actually want to hear In The Army Now ? ... regardless of what Quo line up I was watching - that and Margarita Time are the 2 songs I would least want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Well that was a whole lot of fun last night!:D
    Not much of a fan but I brought my Uncle who is and due to being a bit of a home bird last saw them in Navan nigh on 30 years ago.

What a fantastic set! I knew 3 songs (the obvious ones :rolleyes:) but tbh it didn't matter a jot - they were just fantastic. Great interaction, perfectly pitched - (people pay to hear a band play - not muse on the meaning of life ffs) and it was great to see a gig that didn't rely on dancers, pyrotechnics or other side-shows to carry it off, just good old knock down drag out rock n'roll.

Great touch with the live album & a well chosen support act, Sal Vitro made a huge change from some skinny oik having a moan about 1st world problems.

• Advertisement

One of the best gigs I've ever been at and it didn't matter that I was more familiar with their more recent stuff. They rocked the place and it was a rare experience.

Advertisement