Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Status Quo - O2 April 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Not my prefered play list BUT, I knew that was going to be the case. I went because it was going to be the last chance to see the original line-up and I was not disappointed. The highlite of the night for me was watching the stewarts trying to get people to sit down and then just giving up when almost the whole crowd got up. Yes there was a few mistakes but that only proves that they are an honest band that play LIVE with great energy. Great choice for the support band, really enjoyed Sal Vieto, plan on going to Vantastival to see them again.
    From a happy concert goer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

se conman wrote: »
    Yes there was a few mistakes but that only proves that they are an honest band that play LIVE with great energy.

What were the mistakes, words? I didn't notice but didn't know the songs well enough to have spotted them

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

What were the mistakes, words? I didn't notice but didn't know the songs well enough to have spotted them
    Timing mostly, only minor. Not a complaint on my behalf, give me mistakes any day over "pretending" to sing. I got my moneys worth last night and am well pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Took this last night - crap quality but gives a sense of the atmosphere last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Like some others on here, have seen them many times over the last 30 years but this was my first time to see the original four.

Absolutely blew me away, it was just amazing to see them in the flesh. :D

Loved the set list, went downhill after 1979 (bit like meself really!! :P).

Neck's in bits!!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I really hope it's not the last time we see this line up. Considering how well the shows sold, there is clearly enough people who'd like it to continue.

In the recent interview in the Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/status-quo-frontman-if-i-dropped-dead-tomorrow-what-a-fantastic-f-king-life-i-ve-had-1.1750825?page=1

Francis Rossi stated:

"The other three would like to do more. I wouldn’t like to do more".

"As a reunion thing, I never thought it would happen".

"It happened. It was a great nostalgic event. We went and did this year again so we could take in Europe. If it goes anymore, it will really lose its spec (sic). As far I am concerned, it is definitely the last show we will do together".

I thought the way he said it was interesting, as it suggested that the other three members would be happy to tour again.

I'm sure no one is suggesting that it replaces the current line up of the band, but just that it would be great, if the opportunity arises, for the Frantic Four line up to tour again.

So, I'm hoping Francis can be convinced otherwise!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

I really hope it's not the last time we see this line up. Considering how well the shows are selling, there is clearly enough people who'd like it to continue!

In the recent interview in the Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/status-quo-frontman-if-i-dropped-dead-tomorrow-what-a-fantastic-f-king-life-i-ve-had-1.1750825?page=1

Francis Rossi stated:

"The other three would like to do more. I wouldn’t like to do more".

"As a reunion thing, I never thought it would happen".

"It happened. It was a great nostalgic event. We went and did this year again so we could take in Europe. If it goes anymore, it will really lose its spec (sic). As far I am concerned, it is definitely the last show we will do together".

I thought it was interesting, they way said it, as it suggested that the other three members would be happy to tour again.

I'm sure no one is suggesting that it replaces the current line up of the band, but just that it would be great, if the opportunity arises, for the Frantic Four line up to tour again.

So, I'm hoping Francis can be convinced otherwise!:)

I hope it replaces the current line up of the band!

The FF are Status Quo!

The current line up, are not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Cracking gig on Saturday night. Sal Vitro were fantastic and I'll be sure to check them out again in the future. Really suited for what was to come. Delighted to see a young Dublin band prosper from playing support to the Quo.

Back to the Quo though - some sound from them. First time seeing them and was blown away by the gig.

Here's a video from the gig - not mine

bclar12 wrote: »
    I hope it replaces the current line up of the band!

The FF are Status Quo!

The current line up, are not!

The current line up are also excellent live, the gig in Derry last June was great!

It'd be good if they play here later on this year, but they haven't included here, on their UK and European Winter tours, in recent years.

I think October 2002 and again in October 2006, when they did the book signing in Easons earlier in the day, was the last two times they played here in the Autumn/Winter time of year?

They seem to come over here, every second tour, usually in Spring around March or April, like in 2001.

The gig on Saturday was different in that they only played stuff as far as 1976 and we heard stuff the current line up doesn't usually play like Is There A Better Way.

But I was thinking, it'd be a good buzz to hear stuff like I Should Have Known live, and I guess the Frantic Four line up probably would be unlikely to play it, as John Coghlan was no longer in the band for the 1982 album. So perhaps the current line up might include it some time. I haven't yet heard it any time I've seen them.

The current line up are also excellent live, the gig in Derry last June was great!

It'd be good if they play here later on this year, but they haven't included here, on their UK and European Winter tours, in recent years.

I think October 2002 and again in October 2006, when they did the book signing in Easons earlier in the day, was the last two times they played here in the Autumn/Winter time of year?

They seem to come over here, every second tour, usually in Spring around March or April, like in 2001.

The gig on Saturday was different in that they only played stuff as far as 1976 and we heard stuff the current line up doesn't usually play like Is There A Better Way.

But I was thinking, it'd be a good buzz to hear stuff like I Should Have Known live, and I guess the Frantic Four line up probably would be unlikely to play it, as John Coghlan was no longer in the band for the 1982 album. So perhaps the current line up might include it some time. I haven't yet heard it any time I've seen them.

Since 2001, the current line up have played here in;

October 2002
    March 2004
    June 2005
    October 2006
    July 2007
    February 2009
    June 2010
    June 2012
    June 2013

I've been going to see Quo since 1991 and I've been to 55 gigs.
    I was at last year's reunion tour. I done three dates on that tour and three dates on this tour.

There is a world of difference. The FF give you a proper rock gig with the proper Status Quo sound.

Diet Quo give you a good nights entertainment with the FF's greatest hits.

Diet Quo need to drastically shake up their set list and up their game as they are in serious trouble here over the FF tours. Rick Parfitt has said recently that he's on auto pilot with the current line up and that the FF are the real deal.....How are fans like myself supposed to feel otherwise? He's right!

Personally, I'm sick to death of the idiots who go to Quo, sit there all night until Rockin' all over the world comes on and then up they get, with their stupid, silly and pathetic, "Quo dance" and then have the gaul to say ""three chord wonders but a most enjoyable evening"....Do one and **** off!!...It's like that moron I saw on twitter complaining that they didn't play in the army now on Saturday....Do these people look at the giant advertisements that say the setlist was between 1970 and 1976??....These are the people that are let out into society?!?!....Idiots!!

Saturday night in Dublin, on the floor, thats where the proper Quo fans were. Giving it large! Same with Glasgow last Wednesday and Manchester the weekend before!

The set list thing you said is interesting...If the FF came back, with Andy Bown for another tour, it's a way around the whole last ever ff gig thing...And it expands their setlist....They could do stuff up to 1981.

Imagine a setlist like;

Hard time
    Accident prone
    Shady lady
    Who asked you
    over the edge
    Take me away
    Rockers Rollin
    Rockin all over the world (:rolleyes: )
    Roll over lay down
    Paper Plane
    4500 times
    Whatever you want
    Oh Baby
    Roadhouse Blues
    Rain
    Down Down
    What you're proposin'
    bye bye Johnny

Enough for fans like us to keep us happy and that song is in there for the floater fans....Everyone wins :D

• Advertisement

Since 2001, the current line up have played here in;

October 2002
    March 2004
    June 2005
    October 2006
    July 2007
    February 2009
    June 2010
    June 2012
    June 2013

I've been going to see Quo since 1991 and I've been to 55 gigs.
    I was at last year's reunion tour. I done three dates on that tour and three dates on this tour.

There is a world of difference. The FF give you a proper rock gig with the proper Status Quo sound.

Diet Quo give you a good nights entertainment with the FF's greatest hits.

Diet Quo need to drastically shake up their set list and up their game as they are in serious trouble here over the FF tours. Rick Parfitt has said recently that he's on auto pilot with the current line up and that the FF are the real deal.....How are fans like myself supposed to feel otherwise? He's right!

Personally, I'm sick to death of the idiots who go to Quo, sit there all night until Rockin' all over the world comes on and then up they get, with their stupid, silly and pathetic, "Quo dance" and then have the gaul to say ""three chord wonders but a most enjoyable evening"....Do one and **** off!!...It's like that moron I saw on twitter complaining that they didn't play in the army now on Saturday....Do these people look at the giant advertisements that say the setlist was between 1970 and 1976??....These are the people that are let out into society?!?!....Idiots!!

Saturday night in Dublin, on the floor, thats where the proper Quo fans were. Giving it large! Same with Glasgow last Wednesday and Manchester the weekend before!

The set list thing you said is interesting...If the FF came back, with Andy Bown for another tour, it's a way around the whole last ever ff gig thing...And it expands their setlist....They could do stuff up to 1981.

Imagine a setlist like;

Hard time
    Accident prone
    Shady lady
    Who asked you
    over the edge
    Take me away
    Rockers Rollin
    Rockin all over the world (:rolleyes: )
    Roll over lay down
    Paper Plane
    4500 times
    Whatever you want
    Oh Baby
    Roadhouse Blues
    Rain
    Down Down
    What you're proposin'
    bye bye Johnny

Enough for fans like us to keep us happy and that song is in there for the floater fans....Everyone wins :D

Thanks for the detailed list of their gigs here. I missed the July 2010 gig, I think that was Punchestown racecourse?

The June 2005, was the one with Meat Loaf in Ardgillan Castle, wasn't it?

Where was the gig in July 2007.

Was the June 2012 gig, the one in Wexford, that lashed rain?

If Andy Bown was to join the Frantic Four line up for another tour, Someone Show Me Home would be a nice addition to the setlist. There's a good video I saw a while back, where they discuss the writing of the song and how Andy developed the keyboard intro.

(I did a quick check on youtube there, but didn't find it - I'm pretty sure that's where I saw it before.)

The other thing I noticed, at the merchandise stall, from what I observed, that it was only on the poster of the ad for the audio cd of the show, where it was stated that it was the last ever show.

The audio cd facility was done by Abbey Road Studios, a separate company from the band who do audio recordings of other bands tours, so perhaps they printed up the poster to mention "Last Ever Show"?

I didn't get a detailed look at the programme at the merchandise stall. I'm wondering, was it written in it by the band themselves, that they wouldn't tour again?

I could be wrong, but it sounds like the band aren't totally ruling out continuing it. Rick, from what you say, sounds like he'd be happy to continue it.

I got a tremendous buzz watching them on Saturday, it sounded great!

The people at the gigs you mention, who only know Rocking All Over The World are probably the same people who will go to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse and afterwards bitch and moan when they don't get to hear Heart of Gold!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

I can't help feeling short-changed.

I bought tickets as a present for my Dad. I didn't look into it - saw Status Quo were for sale and just bought tickets for them expecting a full gig. When you click on Ticketmaster it doesn't exactly give you much information about the upcoming gig.

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan and probably only know their most famous songs. That said, it would appear from the boos and all of the negative sentiment in the venue that it wasn't what the paying customers expected.

I have no real interest in the make-up of the band and I'm guessing most of the venue don't either. I just think its really arrogant/selfish they wouldn't play songs they all weren't involved in. Give the crowd what they want......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Was going to go to this gig. Glad I didn't. Just know their well known songs. Would have been a waste of 2 hours for me, and a waste for the gig itself having a pleb sitting there for 2 hours wondering what's going on here.

I know the hardcore fans won't agree, but it's understandable the frustration that's vented. I've never even heard of the Frantic Four, so even if it was advertised on a 1000 sq ft billboard in the heart of Dublin, it would not mean anything to me, except that it is some form of over the top fanfare to welcome the four members of Status Quo. Might sound naïve, I know.

But if it's advertised as Status Quo, but with the original line up, then it could still be Status Quo songs from the entire catalogue that are played. If it was advertised as Status Quo, with the original line-up and it clearly says that they will be playing songs only from that era, then that's different. But from the (little) research that I did whilst contemplating going to the gig, it didn't seem to highlight this. Or I could be wrong.

Imagine going to guns n roses gig, and only hearing songs from Chinese Democracy. Wouldn't go down too well.

But on the other hand, it's a great gig for the hardcore Quo fans, as for the past couple of decades, the band have continually played their well known tunes, and nice to have a gig where they can identify more personally to the tunes.

golfman wrote: »

I bought tickets as a present for my Dad. I didn't look into it - saw Status Quo were for sale and just bought tickets for them expecting a full gig. When you click on Ticketmaster it doesn't exactly give you much information about the upcoming gig.

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan and probably only know their most famous songs. That said, it would appear from the boos and all of the negative sentiment in the venue that it wasn't what the paying customers expected.

I have no real interest in the make-up of the band and I'm guessing most of the venue don't either. I just think its really arrogant/selfish they wouldn't play songs they all weren't involved in. Give the crowd what they want......

the gig was excellent. The setlist was great and reflected the bands music from the era of the live album recorded in 1976.

It was great to hear some songs from Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon and Dog of Two Head, which the other line up would not play too often.

the other line up, which tours regularly, plays material from all eras of the band.

I would disagree with the idea that the people don't take note of the make up of the band.

I was delighted to get to see Alan Lancaster and John Coghlan, I'd only previously seen John Coghlan play with the tribute band, State Of Quo.

Was going to go to this gig. Glad I didn't. Just know their well known songs. Would have been a waste of 2 hours for me, and a waste for the gig itself having a pleb sitting there for 2 hours wondering what's going on here.

I know the hardcore fans won't agree, but it's understandable the frustration that's vented. I've never even heard of the Frantic Four, so even if it was advertised on a 1000 sq ft billboard in the heart of Dublin, it would not mean anything to me, except that it is some form of over the top fanfare to welcome the four members of Status Quo. Might sound naïve, I know.

But if it's advertised as Status Quo, but with the original line up, then it could still be Status Quo songs from the entire catalogue that are played. If it was advertised as Status Quo, with the original line-up and it clearly says that they will be playing songs only from that era, then that's different. But from the (little) research that I did whilst contemplating going to the gig, it didn't seem to highlight this. Or I could be wrong.

Imagine going to guns n roses gig, and only hearing songs from Chinese Democracy. Wouldn't go down too well.

But on the other hand, it's a great gig for the hardcore Quo fans, as for the past couple of decades, the band have continually played their well known tunes, and nice to have a gig where they can identify more personally to the tunes.

The Guns n Roses scenario you mention about only playing Chinese Democracy, I would suggest, is not applicable in this case.:)

If the original line up of Guns N Roses reformed and toured and only played stuff from Appetite for Destruction, Lies and Use Your Illusion 1 and 2, and decided against playing all the ballad type songs like Don't Cry and November Rain from Use Your Illusion, I would imagine the audience would be extremely happy.:)

That's what we got with the Frantic Four line up.

We didn't hear stuff like Burning Bridges, or Something 'Bout You Baby I Like. These probably are popular with people who like the less heavy aspect of Status Quo's albums, but they are songs played regularly by the other line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

the other line up, which tours regularly, plays material from all eras of the band.

The problem being that it wasn't clear at point of booking on Ticketmaster, nor would i expect any lineup changes to prevent them from playing the band's best known tunes.

The problem being that it wasn't clear at point of booking on Ticketmaster, nor would i expect any lineup changes to prevent them from playing the band's best known tunes.

It was clear, when the Dublin gig was announced last October, that it was a follow on tour of the Frantic Four line up that toured the UK in March last year, and it was clear from those shows, that they played material of the era of the 1976 live album

When the tour in March 2013 was first announced in November 2012, it was stated on Status Quo's website that the shows would concentrate and celebrate the era of the band up to the live album recorded in 1976.

https://twitter.com/mcd_productions/status/389767786706505728

http://www.contactmusic.com/press/original-status-quo-line-up-announce-2013-tour

In the link below is a news item from November 2012 which details that Rick Parfitt discussed the songs they intended to play.

The article includes the line: "Quo intend to use their 1977 live record as the template for the Frantic Four shows".

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_tours/status_quo_consider_frantic_four_world_tour.html

So let me get this straight.....
    It's advertised all over the place that it's the original line up, doing a set consisting of songs between 1970-1976, you're admittedly not a fan and you have the nerve to bitch and moan that they didn't play what you wanted?!?!

1. Read the advertisement! It was all over the place!
    2. If that fails, read the gig reviews from before. There were 15 gigs to choose from.
    3. Status Quo are not your personal jukebox
    4. There were no boos! So stop lying! I can leave videos here to show you up for that.
    5. It's your own fault for not looking into what you were buying. The ticket said "Status Quo/Frantic Four"....Fan or not, surely to God the words "Frantic Four" should have raised alarm bells with you?!
    6. You've had umpteen chances to hear your rocking all over the world for the last 30 years....Saturday night was for all us long suffering fans that have had to put with that crap
    7. They did give the fans what they wanted! the majority of the place loved it and were on their feet. Just because a few hundred people didn't get to hear Rockin all over the world and in the army now (A song this line up never recorded!!) doesn't mean it was a **** gig!

In 2012, there was classic rock magazine poll where people voted the best Status Quo songs of all time.

In the top ten were 4500 times, big fat mama, down down, caroline, rain, backwater and railroad....And the one thing they have in common?! They were played on Saturday night!

You have said you aren't a fan so why were you buying a ticket in the first place?....That's just confusing!

As I said, Quo are not your personal jukebox...If you go to see a band you are not a fan of, don't expect them to cater to only you

This guy gets it! Thank you :)

You were probably right not to go. Alot of album tracks and only 4 of their big hits...Unless you are into bluesy rock, it probably would have been a waste of time sitting there waiting for the hits.

But it was advertised. There were interviews on the radio and in magazines and on the net saying the set would consist of songs between 1970 and 1976

• Advertisement

Massive amount of boos and negative vibes here....**** me :rolleyes:

The booing and negative feeling reaches fever point during one of the bands unknown album songs :D

Massive amount of boos and negative vibes here....**** me :rolleyes:

thanks for the link to the video, its always great to relive gigs like this!

If they do tour again, I can only recommend people attend.

They shouldn't be concerned about not enjoying the show, if they only know the hits. Checking setlist.fm for any bands current tour, and checking out the video links on that site of the songs played to date, enables for a quick cramming session before any upcoming gigs!:)

thanks for the link to the video, its always great to relive gigs like this!

It's being released on DVD in July :)

On blue ray to...With backstage interviews and soundchecks etc

It's being released on DVD in July :)

On blue ray to...With backstage interviews and soundchecks etc

After the show when I was getting the cd of the gig, I saw someone with a massive flag of the Quo album from 1974, being videod on camera, maybe it'll get included in the footage!

I took a photo of it!:)

After the show when I was getting the cd of the gig, I saw someone with a massive flag of the Quo album from 1974, being videod on camera, maybe it'll get included in the footage!

I took a photo of it!:)

God I want that flag!!

Shame it won't happen again...Rick, John and Alan want to d it again.

It's Rossi that won't do it...I think it's an ego thing. If he does it again, it proves that Alan was right all along and that Francis was wrong. Francis is also in control of Quo and he will not let go of it for Alan and John. Thats my personal feeling on it.

Shame to...These two tours have proved Quo are right up there with the best of them. I've seen U2, AC/DC, Paul McCartney, Simon and Garfunkal, The Everley Brothers, Robert Plant, Queen (minus Freddie) Stone Roses, Fleetwood Mac, Oasis, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Noel Gallagher, Red hot Chili Peppers to name a few and none of them come close to seeing the original Status Quo....There is a special chemistry there

God I want that flag!!

Shame it won't happen again...Rick, John and Alan want to d it again.

It's Rossi that won't do it...I think it's an ego thing. If he does it again, it proves that Alan was right all along and that Francis was wrong. Francis is also in control of Quo and he will not let go of it for Alan and John. Thats my personal feeling on it.

Shame to...These two tours have proved Quo are right up there with the best of them. I've seen U2, AC/DC, Paul McCartney, Simon and Garfunkal, The Everley Brothers, Robert Plant, Queen (minus Freddie) Stone Roses, Fleetwood Mac, Oasis, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Noel Gallagher, Red hot Chili Peppers to name a few and none of them come close to seeing the original Status Quo....There is a special chemistry there

Maybe Rick can convince Francis to do more tours with this line up?

Was the Queen gig, the one in 2005 with Paul Rodgers. I enjoyed that gig, and what I suspect strongly was Paul's hair transplant. He'd a real strong fringe line that doesn't appear all that evident on the footage on the 1970 Isle of Wight gig!:D

Was the Everly Brothers gig, the one where they supported Simon and Garfunkel in July 2004 in the RDS, or did you get to see them do a headline show?

You might like this version of one of their songs, by The Lost Brothers

Maybe Rick can convince Francis to do more tours with this line up?

Was the Queen gig, the one in 2005 with Paul Rodgers. I enjoyed that gig, and what I suspect strongly was Paul's hair transplant. He'd a real strong fringe line that doesn't appear all that evident on the footage on the 1970 Isle of Wight gig!:D

Was the Everly Brothers gig, the one where they supported Simon and Garfunkel in July 2004 in the RDS, or did you get to see them do a headline show?

You might like this version of one of their songs, by The Lost Brothers

Saw the lost brothers do that a few gigs ago :D

Ha yeah the same gigs...The Queen gig was very good and PR was a good frontman for it as he was different to Freddie and never tried to be him....But yes, his hair transplant was eye catching to say the least ha.

The simon and garfunkal gig was a strange one. A good one but, a strange one ha

Saw the lost brothers do that a few gigs ago :D

Ha yeah the same gigs...The Queen gig was very good and PR was a good frontman for it as he was different to Freddie and never tried to be him....But yes, his hair transplant was eye catching to say the least ha.

The simon and garfunkal gig was a strange one. A good one but, a strange one ha

I saw the Lost Brothers in Navan last week in Beggy's Bar!

• Advertisement

I saw the Lost Brothers in Navan last week in Beggy's Bar!

Thats where I saw them :D I'm a Navan man ha

Advertisement