Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directly Elected Mayor

Options
  • 17-10-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

There's a debate going on in Dublin about having a directly elected
    Mayor.
    How would the (boards) citizens of Galway feel about the same prospect here?
    I was thinking to myself, that it mightn't be a bad idea, all things considered.

It would do away with the "horsetrading" that goes on between the political parties, as to who gets the position.
    It would be a democratically elected Mayor, as opposed to an appointee by the few (I know the Mayor is a councillor, who is democraticaly elected, but they don't run for Mayor, so hardly the peoples choice)
    It needn't be only politicians who stand...Mayor Garry Hynes, Mayor Chick Gillen have a certain ring to them.
    It could be a position that carries some actual weight, rather than the local welcoming committee/ photo op that it seems to be now.

So, what say ye Galway?
    Whats the Pros and Cons?
    Is it an improvement?
    Could it work?
    Would you want it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Mayor Fidelma Healy Eames Padraig Conneely Frank Fahy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'll do it.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

snubbleste wrote: »
    Mayor Fidelma Healy Eames Padraig Conneely Frank Fahy

You see, you could nearly guarantee that those three wouldn't get within an asses roar of it in an open, direct vote.
    If FG saw fit to co-opt FHE onto the council and Labour/FF/Independant agreed to some sort of Mayoral musical chairs, we'd have Mayor Fidelma and there wouldn't be a damn thing the people of Galway could do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Vote Mr_A.

I will rule you like the dogs you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I'm a bit conflicted on the subject, tbh.

On the one hand, local government is in dire need of reform, and an elected mayor is one measure that might break the mould.

On the other hand, I am concerned that the usual populist short-termism would win the day.

These days what is sorely needed is leadership, vision and a determination to bring about change for the better. I fear that a candidate for the office of Galway City Mayor promising a bypass tomorrow, more roundabouts, fewer traffic lights, scrapping of bus lanes and free car parking might well get elected on the first count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Well, if after all the broken promises that the Irish electorate have endured over the last few years havn't taught us not to vote for such populist nonsense, then we'd get the Mayor we deserve.
    Or other elected officials fro that matter

Unless there was actual reform of the local government and the mayor had some honest to goodness power, then there wouldn't really be much point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Mr_A wrote: »
    Vote Mr_A.

I will rule you like the dogs you are.

I'd vote for Mr_A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The real power at local level lies with the City Manager, not the Mayor.

If we had an elected City Manager, then we might see a big improvement in services & communication with the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

dilallio wrote: »
    The real power at local level lies with the City Manager, not the Mayor.

If we had an elected City Manager, then we might see a big improvement in services & communication with the public.

Agree with this. In Ireland power is highly centralised. Locally elected county city councillors have very little real power. In effect what happens is that local authority officials and the central bureaucracy in Dublin do deals with each other regarding various budgets.

These unelected officials then present these decisions to elected representatives (councillors) on a "take it or leave it" basis. If the councillors say "no" or "we want changes" then the officials will threaten to take the goodies away. The officials may concede minor changes for the sake of appearances eg the colour of the flower boxes but not the number or locations.

It is democracy in name only.

For power to be real the person exercising it must have control over the budgets and an independent income stream.

Otherwise its more pretend "democracy".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

Firstly I agree with dilallio - elected City Manager is more important. All I ever read is 'the mayor is calling for ......'; but they don't have the power to change or improve anything.

Secondly, totally agree with Iwannahurl ... we badly need leadership at local level.

This week again the local newspaper reported about a dead horse found near a playground. Everytime I read these stories, in the same articel I also read that the 'councillors/local senators/mayors are calling for enforcing animal welfare laws'; ... yet none of these 'people in power' is doing anything about it (and we all know which members of the community is resposible for this animal cruelty but of course its not PC to mention them or we're being racist).
    So Mr Mayor / City Manager - take bloody leadership and sort out this problem asap and make Galway an example to the rest of the country.

Advertisement