Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit In Limerick

• 17-10-2013 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering does anyone know of any butchers that sell rabbit in the city? Asked in a few around the city over the last few months with no luck

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Try Sadliers on Roches St, I'm sure I've seen it there before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

phog wrote: »
    Try Sadliers on Roches St, I'm sure I've seen it there before.

The one beside Chicken Hut? Assume its full rabbits yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

Anyone else think "Ann Summers" when they read the thread title?
    I always thought Sadliers was a fish mongers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

The one beside Chicken Hut? Assume its full rabbits yeah?

Iirc, yes full rabbits
    MrLaurel wrote: »
    Anyone else think "Ann Summers" when they read the thread title?
    I always thought Sadliers was a fish mongers?

Fish and poultry but at times some game and rabbits (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Tried this query on Boards a couple of years ago myself, without much success, and eventually found I could get rabbit in the English Market in Cork (bit of a trek though). So will try Sadliers in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the suggestion, phog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

o'loughlins on william street stock rabbit

Cheers guys, anyone know roughly how much it costs...Looking for a different meat to try and it seems to be packed with protein:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Jim flavins in castletroy also stock it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

You should post this in the hunting section, I'm sure someone would be more than happy to give you some freshly shot rabbit free of charge. I'll be I limerick on Saturday for the match but haven't been shooting in a few weeks other than that you'd be welcome to them

You should post this in the hunting section, I'm sure someone would be more than happy to give you some freshly shot rabbit free of charge. I'll be I limerick on Saturday for the match but haven't been shooting in a few weeks other than that you'd be welcome to them

Oh cheers for the suggestion, but I don't really like asking for free stuff:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Oh cheers for the suggestion, but I don't really like asking for free stuff:p

Even if you offer to pay for it, most lads would be happy to sell it/give it away rather than see it go to waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Aldi do hare fillets every so often if that's any help to you OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Pallas Foods in Newcastle West sell it. I think you can ring & order for next day collection.

http://www.pallasfoods.eu/apps/foodbook/product/RB201

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

In the past I've certainly seen rabbits displayed in the window of the butchers (whatever its called) on Little Catherine Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I saw them in Falvins in greenpark yesterday .

jonski wrote: »
    I saw them in Falvins in greenpark yesterday .

Probably none left after yesterday :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Probably none left after yesterday :p
    Two still in the cabinet there around 1 o clock today .

• Registered Users Posts: 35 running dogs

testicle wrote: »
    Pallas Foods in Newcastle West sell it. I think you can ring & order for next day collection.

http://www.pallasfoods.eu/apps/foodbook/product/RB201

i wonder is this wild or farmed rabbit ?

Lad on top of william street is the only guy I've found, still not brave enough to try it :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

The butchers in Ballyneety are stocking it at the minute (by the petrol station), 10 mins from town.

I've had it before but don't really like it that much, personally I think its similar to the very dark meat on a chicken (farmed rabbit that is - wild is usually stronger). I do it for my dad in a casserole - he loves it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Lad on top of william street is the only guy I've found, still not brave enough to try it :(

He charges well for it too, €10.50 last time I popped my head thru the door ,I eat them regularly, we shoot them and normally casserole them, the meat is nicer than any chicken and completely organic, as many farmed rabbits are sold as organic, but these are wild so totally organic!! My advice to you sober paddy would be to try it but if possible ask somebody else to cook it for you, it's just that when somebody else cooks it first for you you really appreciate the taste and flavour, sometimes when you have to deal with the raw carcass and all the perpetration it takes away from the final result, that's my two cents anyway, I can get you fresh one any time and I'm in limerick , if you like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

the trick my grandmother used was to boil it first to just brown the flesh with an onion in the water she reckoned it took the wild taste out of it

jaysus youd ate your fingers after it

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    He charges well for it too, €10.50 last time I popped my head thru the door ,I eat them regularly, we shoot them and normally casserole them, the meat is nicer than any chicken and completely organic, as many farmed rabbits are sold as organic, but these are wild so totally organic!! My advice to you sober paddy would be to try it but if possible ask somebody else to cook it for you, it's just that when somebody else cooks it first for you you really appreciate the taste and flavour, sometimes when you have to deal with the raw carcass and all the perpetration it takes away from the final result, that's my two cents anyway, I can get you fresh one any time and I'm in limerick , if you like!

At €10.50 :eek: Roughly how much meat would it yield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

At €10.50 :eek: Roughly how much meat would it yield?

youd eat it yourself if you were hungry

Advertisement