Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alu clad windows vs hard wood

Options
  • 17-10-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi I am looking for advice on windows alu clad vs hardwood pros & cons of both I am not sure about the alu clad most are made from PINE also would the aluminuim want paint i know its powder coated but that can chip & flake a bit like an egg shell other hand hardwood would be better but the MAINTANCE also if any one has bought any windows from suppliers if the can send me the details looking for 19 windows & bio folding doors I have been quoted mad money
    Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

citywide wrote: »
    Hi I am looking for advice on windows alu clad vs hardwood pros & cons of both
    1. I am not sure about the alu clad most are made from PINE
    2. also would the aluminuim want paint i know its powder coated
    3. but that can chip & flake a bit like an egg shell
    4. other hand hardwood would be better but the MAINTANCE
    5. also if any one has bought any windows from suppliers
    6. if the can send me the details looking for 19 windows & bio folding doors I have been quoted mad money

1. their pine internally - whats the problem? they look great or you painted them white which will look great also
    2. why would you want to paint Polyester Powder Coated (PPC) Alu? there should be no issue
    3. even in coastal conditions good PPC Alu is the way to go
    4. yes it would, whats wrong with painting every few years? our parents did it?
    5. yes - buts what the point- you know what good windows cost
    6. there are lower cost windows on the market -but the appearance, the quality, the longevity, service, the time to delivery, the wrong orders, the major thermal bridges &/or made up/false thermal information, the lack of attention to detail etc etc - you decide if the premium or 'mad money' is worth it.
    there's a hundred threads on windows in the C&P forum - go to them and use the PM option to contact people who speak highly of their window purchases
    best of luck with your build

• Registered Users Posts: 25 citywide

BryanF wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    1. their pine internally - whats the problem? they look great or you painted them white which will look great also
    2. why would you want to paint Polyester Powder Coated (PPC) Alu? there should be no issue
    3. even in coastal conditions good PPC Alu is the way to go
    4. yes it would, whats wrong with painting every few years? our parents did it?
    5. yes - buts what the point- you know what good windows cost
    6. there are lower cost windows on the market -but the appearance, the quality, the longevity, service, the time to delivery, the wrong orders, the major thermal bridges &/or made up/false thermal information, the lack of attention to detail etc etc - you decide if the premium or 'mad money' is worth it.
    there's a hundred threads on windows in the C&P forum - go to them and use the PM option to contact people who speak highly of their window purchases
    best of luck with your build

Sorry I haven't used this much & I don't under stand it what is c & p forum ? Where can I find that ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Your in it, it's the construction & planning forum

Advertisement