Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan Cummins retired

• 17-10-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Don't think I've seen a better goalie in my 40 years watching hurling. Big loss for Tipp but as a cat glad to see him go!!!! A gentleman as well, never known a bad word to be said about him. Had to work in Kilkenny during our glory years.

Best of luck to him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Pudders wrote: »
    Don't think I've seen a better goalie in my 40 years watching hurling. Big loss for Tipp but as a cat glad to see him go!!!! A gentleman as well, never known a bad word to be said about him. Had to work in Kilkenny during our glory years.

Best of luck to him.

Im not sure Babs Keating would agree with the above sentiment:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Has given many great years service to Tipp and the very best wishes on his retirement. I am sure we will see him again in the near future coaching tipp teams.

As for replacements, I think it's one position where Tipp have a number of good options, and like he said himself it probably was a 'good' time for him to leave, if it ever could be considered a good time to lose a player of his calibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

I've always admired him. tipp went through a lot of managers in his time but he was always top of his game no matter who was in front of him. Best of luck to him in whatever he chooses to do in the gaa. Just as long as he doesn't succeed against Waterford!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

A class act,on and off the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

A top class goal keeper and a decent competitor. He must have found it hard going working in Kilkenny through the last number of years. However, unlike Cusack, he never incited the Kilkenny players and was in fact always complementary of them. Ironic that his last championship match was in Nowlan Park. We'll see him back at management level at some stage and he'll be good.at that too. Best wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Top class player always at top of his game throughout his career
    His Achievements say a lot:
    2 All-Ireland medals, 5 Munster medals and 3 National League medals. All-Ireland runner-up 3 times
    5 All stars
    8 South Intermediate titles for his club
    2 Railway Cups
    6 Poc Foda Titles
    3 Waterford Crystal titles
    1 Minor Munster title
    1 All Ireland u21 title and 1 Munster u21 title
    Also played football making the county senior side and his time with seniors included the winning of a McGrath Cup which very few Tipp sides have won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great Goalkeeper. Wish him the best.

I heard he used to have few lucky jerseys underneath his Tipp one including a Man United one. Anyone know how true that was? Heard it few times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I heard he used to have few lucky jerseys underneath his Tipp one including a Man United one. Anyone know how true that was? Heard it few times before.

A united top and his club top I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

A united top and his club top I think

A tipp jersey on top of a utd jersey, jesus it doesnt get much worse than that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Ballybacon jersey, Man United jersey and Tipp jersey on top of it.

Met him at the All Ireland replay, had a great chat with him, absolute gentleman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Fabulous goalkeeper, always thought he was under-rated tbh. 5 All-Stars would suggest otherwise but when people speak of the best goalkeepers of all time, he isn't always mentioned when he should be.

Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Fantastic Goalie,not only supremely skilful,but above it ,the Hallmarks that all Great sports people have,Honesty,Brave,Will and a drive to Win and a huge work ethic.

A tasty centre forward for the footballers.

Very down to to the earth ,and a great dual player when he done it.

I rememember years ago ,Ballyclough,North Cork opened their new ptich ,a sunday eveing game at 7 against Tippeary Hurlers.

Cummins played a munster champ game for the footballers that afternoon.

Yet that same eveining within hours ,he was involved in a challenge match for the hurlers,im sure he played one half.

I wish him the very best,hope he stays involved in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Ballybacon jersey, Man United jersey and Tipp jersey on top of it.

What if it was a hot day?

Anyway great keeper for sure. A good era for hurling keepers with Damien Fitzhenry also a brilliant goalie and then Donal Og introducing a new dimension to it with his excellent distribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Surely 5 All-Stars would be the most any goalie has ever won ? And he won them in an era when Davy Fitz, Fitzhenry and Donal Og were still operating.

Best of luck to Brendan, and thanks for the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Surely 5 All-Stars would be the most any goalie has ever won ? And he won them in an era when Davy Fitz, Fitzhenry and Donal Og were still operating.

Best of luck to Brendan, and thanks for the memories.

Noel Skehan got seven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Congrats to Brendan Cummins-what a servant. Without doubt, the best goalkeeper I have seen in the last 30years. As stated already, Brendan's an absolute gentleman and met him through work a couple of times in Kilkenny-salt of the earth. I wish him all the best in his retirement, well deserved after all the years. 19 years at the top level, always consistent and the record holder for championship games- some legacy left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Sad day for Tipp hurling, Brendan was a wonderfull keeper and apart from he's wonderfull reflexes, bravery and shot stoping, the one thing that I thought set him apart from many was he's uncanny ability to pluck a ball from over the crossbar, he was as safe as a house under the highball and saved many a point.

But as they say when one door closes another opens, so its time for someone else to step into the breach, Darrren Gleeson will be in pole position and the likes of Daragh Egan, Tossy Lowry and James Logue will be pushing hard aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

Sad day for Tipp hurling, Brendan was a wonderfull keeper and apart from he's wonderfull reflexes, bravery and shot stoping, the one thing that I thought set him apart from many was he's uncanny ability to pluck a ball from over the crossbar, he was as safe as a house under the highball and saved many a point.

But as they say when one door closes another opens, so its time for someone else to step into the breach, Darrren Gleeson will be in pole position and the likes of Daragh Egan, Tossy Lowry and James Logue will be pushing hard aswell.

Fully agree with your points about Brendan Cummins.

I just wondered one thing after attending the All Ireland Intermediate Final. You will obviously know more about Tipperary hurling than me. Don't take this the wrong way, it's a genuine question. In fairness, I could do with losing weight myself. Do you think Daragh Egan could play intercounty hurling right now without getting a lot fitter? Maybe a keeper could get away with it but at intercounty level, I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Martin567 wrote: »
    Fully agree with your points about Brendan Cummins.

I just wondered one thing after attending the All Ireland Intermediate Final. You will obviously know more about Tipperary hurling than me. Don't take this the wrong way, it's a genuine question. In fairness, I could do with losing weight myself. Do you think Daragh Egan could play intercounty hurling right now without getting a lot fitter? Maybe a keeper could get away with it but at intercounty level, I'm not so sure.

Yeah its obviously a concern, and I actually think he is the best keeper in the county if he can loose it. He was on the panel in 2010 as a forward so I think with the right training programme and diet plan he should be able to get into sufficent condition. He's an outstanding shot stopper and distributor and has the advantage of been a great free taker ala Nash - he scored 3-13 this year in the Tipp Senior Club Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Sad to see him go.
    Definitely the best keeper I ever saw and that's in an era of top notch keepers.
    Enjoy your retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

An absolute legend of a keeper, a brilliant shot-stopper and won plenty of games for Tipp with his skills.

And an absolute gentleman to boot, I've met him a few times around Kilkenny and he's as sound a man as you could meet.

Father time waits for no man, but its sad to see a true great leave the arena.

Congrats Brendan on the wonderful career, thanks for the great memories and enjoy your retirement, you were one of the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

A wonderful keeper,hope he enjoys his retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Good luck to him, seems to be a genuine down to earth guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

An absolute legend. Good luck to him in his retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Best of luck to Brendan Cummins not only a great goalie and footballer, he is also a great leader and was a great voice in the dressing room. I doubt we have seen the last of him in his native Tipp colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

some goalie for us, saved us on umpteen occasions, the 03 semi against kk where but for brendan, we could have conceded 7 or 8 goals that day. also a really good footballer for tipp as well, good luck with your retirement

Advertisement