Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lipo battery

• 17-10-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Thinkin about buying a lipo for my gr4 do u need a special charger or will a standerd charger do the job

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

shnburn wrote: »
    Thinkin about buying a lipo for my gr4 do u need a special charger or will a standerd charger do the job

No, you need a lipo charger, DO NOT use a regular charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭shnburn

No, you need a lipo charger, DO NOT use a regular charger.

Thanks guy in shop who told me lipo would fit it better didnt tell me id need a lipo charger for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Definitely need to use a specific lipo charger. The charging profile (the amount of electricity used at any point in charging) is quite different for a lipo versus a standard nimh/nicd battery.

A common model to look for is an IMAX B6. There are two versions, one with a built in power supply and one with what looks like a laptop power supply adapter. Either will work perfect.

There are other very basic lipo chargers but they are not worth it as they don't have the smart circuitry that an IMAX B6 or similar has to keep the lipo from being charged incorrectly. Which you definitely don't want!!!!

Have a look at this for more info. http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Another good charger is the Kong power charger. You can pick.them up on fire-support.co.UK

Does multiple battery and cell types, built in balancer for lipos, etc

As a basic operating rule of thumb, to charge lipos, you will want to plug both connectors into the charger unit; main connector (tamya,deans, etc) as standard, and then the smaller plug to balance the charge across cells

Thanks for the help ud think the guys in the shop would tell u all this when trying to sell u the lipo batterys

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help ud think the guys in the shop would tell u all this when trying to sell u the lipo batterys

You'd think, but until people use lipos they tend not to think of it, and if you use lipos it's just the done thing so perhaps some people neglect to mention it.

In any case, at least you know now!

edit: having just had a look at the fire-support site; the kong power charger listed is not the one I'm talking about, although it seems able - just a bit less feature-packed by comparison to the one I have (which also cost about £40 more).

Going have to think about gettin one battery i have is brand new just bein the gr4 100y its extreamly hars to get battery in it

Going have to think about gettin one battery i have is brand new just bein the gr4 100y its extreamly hars to get battery in it

Oh, one other thing ... don't get an ASG lipo battery. They're awful.

If you need to find specific dimensions for a lipo to fit what you need: component-shop.co.uk ftw. It helps that their prices are pretty decent too.

Lemming wrote: »

If you need to find specific dimensions for a lipo to fit what you need: component-shop.co.uk ftw. It helps that their prices are pretty decent too.
    Already have picked out a 7.2v for 25€ that will fit perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Also, try and stick with a 20C battery if you can. They can output a higher amount of energy than the 15C

• Advertisement

Hmmm, have 3 asg lipos nearly 2 years now and they are perfect, it also helps that I am not trigger happy so I get the whole day outa one practically, maybe use 1500 round in a day depending on the aeg I use it could be more.

Naturally like any bit of equipment if you mind it, should be fine.

Hmmm, have 3 asg lipos nearly 2 years now and they are perfect, it also helps that I am not trigger happy so I get the whole day outa one practically, maybe use 1500 round in a day depending on the aeg I use it could be more.

Naturally like any bit of equipment if you mind it, should be fine.

No, they're crap. They will work, but they have a low charge rating (15C) for a lipo. If you're not paying attention to your AEG's rof, you'll not notice any difference, but there is one; and it's not a slight difference either.

I've had 8.4v mini batteries perform better. And I'm not the only person to have had this experience. There have been a few threads on boards on the matter over the years.

No, they're crap. They will work, but they have a low charge rating (15C) for a lipo. If you're not paying attention to your AEG's rof, you'll not notice any difference, but there is one; and it's not a slight difference either.

I've had 8.4v mini batteries perform better. And I'm not the only person to have had this experience. There have been a few threads on boards on the matter over the years.

Precisely, they will work, sure what more do I need then :). The ones I have are 20c and never skipped a beat, ROF is 18rps which is more than enough for me and keeping in mind KWA motors are not known for their incredible speed on full auto and being advertised as a "torque" motor which I am a bit dubious about.

I know the higher discharge rating the better bla bla but for people like me who do not glue there finger to the trigger and do not use thousands of rounds in day they are more than adequate imo.

I none the less respect your opinion your in the game long enough to know these things but I am giving my own opinion on these if someone just happens to looking into getting some lipo's. :)

Precisely, they will work, sure what more do I need then :). The ones I have are 20c and never skipped a beat, ROF is 18rps which is more than enough for me and keeping in mind KWA motors are not known for their incredible speed on full auto and being advertised as a "torque" motor which I am a bit dubious about.

I know the higher discharge rating the better bla bla but for people like me who do not glue there finger to the trigger and do not use thousands of rounds in day they are more than adequate imo.

The problem isn't that ASG lipos are "crap" just because ASG have labelled them; it was because they were underpowered. ROF doesn't just affect those who have heavy trigger-fingers, but also the time between your trigger pull and one round being discharged. Under-powered batteries mean that your AEG will literally be firing slower.

ASG are/were crap because they only offered 15C last time I checked. Now, if you have ASG lipo batteries that are 20C or greater, then you wont have a problem. If they have since offered higher C-ratings then all fine and well; but I would double-check that ASG battery I'm about to buy.

It goes without saying that one should always check the C-rating of any lipo before buying it but in my experience that goes double for ASG.

Advertisement