Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little advice please?

Options
  • 17-10-2013 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I've been a vegetarian for years and have been suffering with severe migraines for a long time. I'm at my wits end and have decided to look at my diet and see if there is something in there that's causing the problem, I'm going to cut back to a very basic fruit and vegetable based diet for the next month and after that add one thing at a time.
    Can anyone give me tips on what kind of food I can supplement my fruit and veg with that is 'safe' and won't add to my issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭freethink3r

I suppose a multivitamin would be the best way to go. Presumably whatever is causing your migraines, if it is diet related, is not the actual vitamins. It might be best to look up the most common diet (and non diet) causes of migraines and start with them first. It could be something like caffeine, stress, lack of sleep or dehydration. Did you see a doctor? That might take the guesswork out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Hi, yes I've seen my doctor who is running blood tests and has given me medication but that only stops the effects rather than the cause.

I'm thinking more of tips food wise like what to add to my diet, for example beans seem a good choice but what type or how would people use them in a recipie?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 puffThis

Make sure to get protein sources from any vegies that is rich in protein, such foods includes legumes, nuts, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Are you getting enough magnesium? I know low magnesium can cause the aura that comes before/with a migraine.

If you take calcium supplements make sure you also take magnesium because taking calcium on its own uses any magnesium you are getting from you diet so you might need extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

MSG is a known food trigger for migraines. Best thing is to just keep a food diary and see if you can find what triggers them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Thanks everyone for the advice, I changed to a very basic diet of mainly fruit, veg and nuts with small amounts of dairy and as much organic food as possible and the headaches are basically gone!

Happiness is in a pain free head :-)

Advertisement