Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Variable or Fixed Short Term Mortgage

Options
  • 17-10-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm taking out 35k over 5 years and the amount I would be paying on a variable would be manageable if the rate was not to increase wildly.

The variable is at 4.09% and the fixed for the 5 years is at 5.35%

Any advice on which way to go?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

Personally, I wouldn't go near that 5-year rate especially if the capital will be repaid in 5 years.

If you assume that rates won't increase over the next 12-24 months (my opinion and generally accepted), you'd struggle to get close to "break-even" even if rates increased significantly thereafter. Look at it this way, if you paid 4.09% for 2 years and then the variable rate jumped to 6% immediately (unlikely in my opinion) - your average rate would still be 5.24% over the 2 years.

But, as you're paying back the capital so quickly, you're balance would be close to €20k after 2 years so the higher rate would be on a much lower balance, and lower again in years 4 & 5.

The fixed rate is likely to cost you much more over the 5 years, but some people like paying for the certainty of fixed repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Cheers roro2, I was leaning towards the varaible alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

what bank is offering 5 year mortgages of 35k ? Im not aware of any banks that would offer either a mortgage of such a small amount (most have a min 50k) and I know none that would offer a 5 year mortgage term.

if your taking just a general query and haven't checked it out I don't think the possibility of this exists and Id be pretty sure your only option would be a personal loan

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

D3PO wrote: »
    what bank is offering 5 year mortgages of 35k ? Im not aware of any banks that would offer either a mortgage of such a small amount (most have a min 50k) and I know none that would offer a 5 year mortgage term.

if your taking just a general query and haven't checked it out I don't think the possibility of this exists and Id be pretty sure your only option would be a personal loan

AIB. The mortgage is to make up the shortfall on a larger sum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Currently applied for a mortgage of €75k which we plan to repay over 10-12 years.
    On offer is fixed rate for 2 years with repayments at €676.86 per month (4.55%) while variable rate repayment is € 674.64 per month (4.49%)
    Question is : to fix at the above rates for 2 years costing €2.22 per month or to stay variable ?
    Are interest rates likely to stay at current values over the next 2 years ? I heard somewhere that interest rates will increase next year ?
    Accepted that with fixed rates we cannot increase repayments or pay off within the fixed period but on the other side is the peace of mind a fixed rate gives for a relatively small extra per month over the 2 years ?
    Any comments or advice welcome !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

for €2.22 a month your be mad not to fix.

Variable rates certainly wont fall even if the ECB rate goes to zero at best they will stay even but there is a chance they could increase.

Its a no brainer fix for the 2 years.

Advertisement