Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar power automatic gate

Options
  • 17-10-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure whether to post in this forum or in home DIY.
    I'm looking at installing an electric gate motor on a farm gate, with GSM control. The problem is that there is no mains power available, so am thinking of solar. Has anyone done this? I use a solar kit with some electronic equipment at work, and I find it suffers badly in cloudy and wet weather. Also, cold weather seems to mess with the battery. Maybe the new panels are better.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Electric powered gates are excellent for solar as there is a short duty cycle and this can be measured as an average time per day. The battery can then be sized to give X amount of reserve time. Providing the solar is sized correctly to be able to charge the battery when the sun does shine you should be fine. You just need someone to do the calculations and take responsibility.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Didn't see your reply till now. I'd given up hope of getting any reply.
    Many thanks. I've decided to go ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Don't go for cheap batteries as you will regret it. Use AGM. Also use an MPPT controller and a big enough panel.

Advertisement