Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen donuts

Options
  • 17-10-2013 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭

I have a craving for frozen donuts and Tesco don't seem to stock them anymore. Anywhere that does?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TomGalway

porsche959 wrote: »
    I have a craving for frozen donuts and Tesco don't seem to stock them anymore. Anywhere that does?

Lidl have the exact same ones! Nomnomnom :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Lidl ones are amaaaazing!! Yum yum yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

cool, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I freeze the tescos ones from their bakery. They are cheap in 5 packs, and usually have 2x5 packs for little extra.

Think its 10 for €1.50 at the moment. I like the chocolate or custard ones.

I put them in a proper airtight bag when freezing and just take one out each day for lunch. Also stops me scoffing the lot. I like them when they are still quite cold.

Also when its frozen I can easily brush off some of the stupid amounts of granulated sugar they put on them. Dunno why powdered sugar is not used more, I much prefer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

rubadub wrote: »
    I freeze the tescos ones from their bakery. They are cheap in 5 packs, and usually have 2x5 packs for little extra.

Think its 10 for €1.50 at the moment. I like the chocolate or custard ones.

I put them in a proper airtight bag when freezing and just take one out each day for lunch. Also stops me scoffing the lot. I like them when they are still quite cold.

Also when its frozen I can easily brush off some of the stupid amounts of granulated sugar they put on them. Dunno why powdered sugar is not used more, I much prefer it.

Good idea. Do you put them in an air tight bag in their own wrapper or take them completely out of their own wrapper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

numorouno wrote: »
    Do you put them in an air tight bag in their own wrapper or take them completely out of their own wrapper
    I have done both, or had them each in their own bags and just twist the bag to seal it. It just important to have them reasonable well sealed.

Lots of the instore bakeries use those bags/covers full of tiny little holes or in paper bags which allow moisture out. If you put stuff in a fridge or freezer it can dry out. The air in fridges is actively being dried out. So if you open a pack of mince a day later you will see the bits near the opening being dried out. However if you put that mince into a tupperware contanier no moisture can escape so its fine. Same with cakes going into a fridge, you will see people warning against it as they dry out, but in tupperware or airtight bags it should be OK. If you look at any cakes etc in fridges in supermarkets you will never see them using those bags/covers full of tiny holes.

Donuts really only last a day, I could not just buy the 1 when 10 was so little extra, so freezing stops me making a total pig of myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

That can't be good for you.. a frozen doughnut baked in tesco and then you refreeze at home.. that piece of dough is spending too much time in the freezer for my liking

Advertisement