Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gridwest project.

Options
  • 17-10-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Eirgrid plan on imposing a 400Kv power line and pylons through the heart of Mayo, Roscommon and Leitrim posing increased health risks and irreparably damaging the environment, heritage and livelihoods of all the communities through which the project passes.Do people on here realise the full implications of this ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

jonny d wrote: »
    Eirgrid plan on imposing a 400Kv power line and pylons through the heart of Mayo, Roscommon and Leitrim posing increased health risks and irreparably damaging the environment, heritage and livelihoods of all the communities through which the project passes.Do people on here realise the full implications of this ?

Any good links to site which backup the statements above?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The attitude of a lot of people is they don't care until it's in there back yard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

irishgeo wrote: »
    The attitude of a lot of people is they don't care until it's in there back yard

It never ceases to amaze me that we all want top class infrastructure but yet when it is proposed to be provided, we go off the head if it comes within miles of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Was looking at the route on google maps their and It will probably be going straight through the farm..

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's electricity. It's the same electricity that powers the computer you typed this post on, albeit at a higher voltage (and, consequently, further away from you).

There are no health risks from overhead powerlines (or mobile phone masts, or your WiFi router) that a well-made tinfoil hat won't protect you from.

• Advertisement

OriginV wrote: »
    Was looking at the route on google maps their and It will probably be going straight through the farm..

Lucky you! The neighbours will have it in for you when you're getting the payments for your land being used and they're not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭jonny d

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's electricity. It's the same electricity that powers the computer you typed this post on, albeit at a higher voltage (and, consequently, further away from you).

There are no health risks from overhead powerlines (or mobile phone masts, or your WiFi router) that a well-made tinfoil hat won't protect you from.

Quite a petty reply to make in all honesty.

Just google "heath risks associated with 400kv high voltage transmission line"
    and make up your own mind. I did. Not to mention the much larger picture of north Mayo being once again being raped for its natural resources with no tangible benefit to its communities. These lines could be potentially be 25m from my house, but I have been assured that they will be placed 50m away if possible, so I am happy. :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

and make up your own mind. I did. Not to mention the much larger picture of north Mayo being once again being raped for its natural resources with no tangible benefit to its communities. These lines could be potentially be 25m from my house, but I have been assured that they will be placed 50m away if possible, so I am happy. :mad:

Ah, Google the old reliable.
    If they are going to be 50m away then how are they going to be 25m...

I guess you aren't too happy about Shell been there either?

yop wrote: »
    Ah, Google the old reliable.
    If they are going to be 50m away then how are they going to be 25m...

I guess you aren't too happy about Shell been there either?

A link here makes some points.
    http://www.abermulewales.co.uk/Facts_gareth_thomas.pdf

At the heel of the hunt there are better ,safer ways of doing this project.
    http://www.nepp.ie/wordpress/

A link here makes some points.
    http://www.abermulewales.co.uk/Facts_gareth_thomas.pdf

At the heel of the hunt there are better ,safer ways of doing this project.
    http://www.nepp.ie/wordpress/

For me the crucial line of your link is the first line of the conclusion:

"Whilst a scientific link between power lines and ill health has yet to be proven, ..........."

If they put the conclusion at the beginning, I could have saved myself reading the document!

Have you anything better?

• Advertisement

Avns1s wrote: »
    For me the crucial line of your link is the first line of the conclusion:

"Whilst a scientific link between power lines and ill health has yet to be proven, ..........."

If they put the conclusion at the beginning, I could have saved myself reading the document!

Have you anything better?

And when electrification came to Ireland the same line was wheeled out that it was going to cause health risks, yet to be proven.

I would be curious to understand the "irreparable affect on livelihoods", all the landowners will be compensated I am assuming?

And when electrification came to Ireland the same line was wheeled out that it was going to cause health risks, yet to be proven.

I would be curious to understand the "irreparable affect on livelihoods", all the landowners will be compensated I am assuming?

I can't remember the exact figures but landowners are pretty handsomely compensated. In fact, there are instances of war between neighbours because the decision to locate the pylon went to one neighbours land over the other. Hence my earlier post.

The reality is that if we want to have a future for our children and their children that involves them having jobs in the region, we need the necessary infrastructure to facilitate industry locating here and creating those jobs. Why on earth do we not understand that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

€22000 per pylon on their land + €2000 per pylon per year "inconvieniance" or some such word.

I can't remember the exact figures but landowners are pretty handsomely compensated. In fact, there are instances of war between neighbours because the decision to locate the pylon went to one neighbours land over the other. Hence my earlier post.

The reality is that if we want to have a future for our children and their children that involves them having jobs in the region, we need the necessary infrastructure to facilitate industry locating here and creating those jobs. Why on earth do we not understand that?
    mayo.mick wrote: »
    €22000 per pylon on their land + €2000 per pylon per year "inconvieniance" or some such word.

Yip, I was hoping the OP would respond to this, OriginV probably has these figures since it will be running through his farm.

Every one wants good roads, yet don't want them near their gardens, everyone wants jobs, yet won't allow pylons or any other infrastructure.

I have sympathy of course for those who will lose their houses for the likes of the new Westport to Ballyvary road, but again these people are well compensated. But statements like "posing increased health risks and irreparably damaging the environment, heritage and livelihoods of all the communities through which the project passes" without substance are just incredible and not credible!

mayo.mick wrote: »

Where do I sign up? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Some are suggesting that this should be laid underground.

The practicalities and cost of this may make it difficult.

Meh. You post a bunch of scaremongering nonsense, expect to get called on it.
    and make up your own mind. I did.
    I don't need to Google it. I've been listening to the same pseudo-scientific nonsense for years. You get the same exposure to magnetic fields standing 1m from an electric kettle as you do 50m from a 400kV line, which is to say practically none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

This is a different scale than the usual electricity pylons that you are used of seeing, these things are humongous and will ruin the landscape. I'm not sure if that payment scheme quoted is exact but I do know those figures are no where near the value of the land that is going to be compulsory purchased, add to that I would imagine the fields where these pylons are going will be useless to the landowners while work is taking place and I presume a certain amount if damage will occur to said land during the works.

I am not in any way effected but I have been reading quiet a bit on this and I don't consider it a positive.
    This link shows before and after pics of how the pylons change the landscape in a different area. I'm not some bleeding heart ecowarrior but I don't want to see the landscape of county mayo destroyed.
    http://www.no-moor-pylons.co.uk

Daisy M wrote: »
    This is a different scale than the usual electricity pylons that you are used of seeing, these things are humongous and will ruin the landscape. I'm not sure if that payment scheme quoted is exact but I do know those figures are no where near the value of the land that is going to be compulsory purchased, add to that I would imagine the fields where these pylons are going will be useless to the landowners while work is taking place and I presume a certain amount if damage will occur to said land during the works.

I am not in any way effected but I have been reading quiet a bit on this and I don't consider it a positive.
    This link shows before and after pics of how the pylons change the landscape in a different area. I'm not some bleeding heart ecowarrior but I don't want to see the landscape of county mayo destroyed.

The view of the countryside might be nice but it wont put food on the table or pay the mortgage. We need infrastructure to provide a future for our coming generations and if that means sacrificing the views of the environment then it's a necessary concession.

Farmers would do well to clear anything much over €100 per year on each acre of land so if the figures quoted by Mick above are correct, I can't see why they wouldn't be ecstatic with the income.

The lad will be affected for maybe a few months at most? The farmer will work the land only for 6 months of the year.
    There are many large pylons through fields all over Ireland and it hasn't stopped the farmers from using the land.

I would prefer to have to look at pylons which provide an infrastructure to new industry and/or keep existing than watch my kids having to leave to work in Dublin at best or out of Ireland.
    No one wants the landscape ruined but there wasn't a lot of out cry when reams of holiday homes were been built in the scenic areas of Achill, Louisburgh, Bundoran etc, and from what I can these are just as ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

The figures I quoted are from this weeks western I think, maybe last weeks edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Right I'm not getting into a huge debate on this, I've given my opinion and at the end of the day I have no doubt eirgrid will get planning.

I agree re the holiday homes they were a blight, but just because one blight was allowed do we keep allowing it to happen?
    The land will be worked on and will take the following year to recover so two summers gone.

Re the comment of how much an acre of land produces, I'm not sure that someone who's not from a farming background will be able to understand, it's all about the money.
    Say in the parish next to me which will be effected greatly, during the boom their were farmers been begged to sell sites for big money but they wouldn't. Most of them have small farms and would like to expand rather than seeing it chipped away at bit by bit obviously there are some who would like to or need to sell some to make a few bob but the majority don't. Farming is something they are born into and for the ones who choose to commit to the family farm it's about a lot more than the profit it turns over.

Right I'm not getting into a huge debate on this, I've given my opinion and at the end of the day I have no doubt eirgrid will get planning.

I agree re the holiday homes they were a blight, but just because one blight was allowed do we keep allowing it to happen?
    The land will be worked on and will take the following year to recover so two summers gone.

Re the comment of how much an acre of land produces, I'm not sure that someone who's not from a farming background will be able to understand, it's all about the money.
    Say in the parish next to me which will be effected greatly, during the boom their were farmers been begged to sell sites for big money but they wouldn't. Most of them have small farms and would like to expand rather than seeing it chipped away at bit by bit obviously there are some who would like to or need to sell some to make a few bob but the majority don't. Farming is something they are born into and for the ones who choose to commit to the family farm it's about a lot more than the profit it turns over.

And there's the win for the farmers, they get the payment at the outset and the yearly payment AND they still have the land bar the few square meters that each leg of the pylon stands on. That's a huge difference to selling a site.

I'm posting this for anyone who wants to get the full picture of what's proposed for North Mayo.

http://www.climatechangecafe.com/the-industrialization-of-an-ancient-irish-landscape-to-meet-uk-energy-needs/

I'm posting this for anyone who wants to get the full picture of what's proposed for North Mayo.

http://www.climatechangecafe.com/the-industrialization-of-an-ancient-irish-landscape-to-meet-uk-energy-needs/

Another dose of nostalgic sentimental waffle from an occasional visitor who wants to preserve rural North Mayo as a playground that he can visit and frolic about in, whenever he takes the notion to get his cheap Ryanair flight into Knock.

If he had to try and squeeze a living out of what's in North Mayo, he'd quickly realise that heather, rushes, rain and bog begrudge an existence to those who live there.

And what is wrong with producing energy for export to the UK? We produce cattle and export food (among many things but just to use these as an example) and in return for those items we get paid in money that we use to buy other things we cant produce ourselves like computers, cars and oil. Tell me again, what is wrong with that exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Looks like more concerns are being registered apart from on here.

Public meeting in Knockmore tonight amid concerns over Gridwest project

Created on Friday, 18 October 2013 09:49

A public meeting is being held in Knockmore this evening, to discuss the proposed GridWest project, which will see high-capacity power lines running from Moygownagh in north Mayo to Flagford near Carrick-on-Shannon.

Eirgrid recently announced a one kilometre wide preferred route for the power lines, and information meetings are being held across the region at present to engage with landowners and local residents.

There are concerns in Knockmore that the proposed route for the 400 kv power line runs adjacent to two schools in the area - Currabaggan National School and Lisaniska National School, which are attended by almost 300 children.

Despite assurances by Eirgrid that the project will meet the highest international safety standards, local residents in the Knockmore area have expressed concerns in relation to health and safety issues, as well as noise pollution.

Tonight’s meeting gets underway at 8.30 in the Knockmore Resource Centre.

From Mid West.....

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

finisklin wrote: »

There are concerns in Knockmore that the proposed route for the 400 kv power line runs adjacent to two schools in the area - Currabaggan National School and Lisaniska National School, which are attended by almost 300 children.

think-of-the-children.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It's quotes like this posted above that annoy me

Has anyone ever produced reliable evidence that living close to the pylons and high voltage causes a health risk? Evidence not from some hippie website thrown together claiming some questionable research or but instead from a trusted, well known reliable source.

How many of the photographs in that article would have pylons in them if this project were to go ahead?
    Dudda wrote: »
    Has anyone ever produced reliable evidence that living close to the pylons and high voltage causes a health risk?
    No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

that heather, rushes, rain and bog begrudge an existence to those who live there.
    Nicely put!

If there's no infrastructure, there will be no prosperity. I'm thinkng of throwing together a website promoting living close to 400kV powerlines because if you park your car underneath them, it increases its MPG. Whilst this hasn't yet been scientifically proven, it's now on the internet so it must be true. You can google it if you like...:pac:

Advertisement