Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gridwest project.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

People will die if the lines go up?
    I think the poster meant "quality of life" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭joela

TopTec wrote: »

Do you think they are seriously considering this or is it a PR exercise of some sort? Is it really going to be feasible & how much will cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

One thing I cannot understand is the need for a 440Kv line, I doubt they will get that much power from the windmills, and It unlikely to be constant or reliable, so I was wondering is there any plans to build a power plant near the Shell gas processing plant?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

joela wrote: »
    Do you think they are seriously considering this or is it a PR exercise of some sort? Is it really going to be feasible & how much will cost?

The project has been so mishandled that it should be taken seriously or there'll just be more of a backlash.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Seriously considering the underground option? They weren't given a choice; they were instructed by the government to do a full feasibility study.
    The Government has directed EirGrid to develop comprehensive underground options for both projects to the very same level of technical detail as carried out for pylons.

Seriously considering the underground option? They weren't given a choice; they were instructed by the government to do a full feasibility study.
    Yes I know the government instructed them but is it simply an exercise to pacify the masses as opposed to a real option?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Yes I know the government instructed them but is it simply an exercise to pacify the masses as opposed to a real option?

They've opened the Pandora's box that is the undergrounding option. How can they close it given the opposition to overhead.

There is no excuse or reason they can give that will prevent undergrounding now.

I'd have serious concerns about undergrounding in terms of impacts on the ecology. A whole load of SAC and SPA along that proposed underground route. Undergrounding is going to cause a lot more issues in terms of habitats and a lot more habitat loss :(

Map source http://heritagemaps.biodiversityireland.ie/#/Map

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Insofar as it's a pacifying exercise, it's the government's pacifying exercise as opposed to Eirgrid's.
    loremolis wrote: »
    They've opened the Pandora's box that is the undergrounding option. How can they close it given the opposition to overhead.

There is no excuse or reason they can give that will prevent undergrounding now.
    How do you make that out?

What if undergrounding costs ten times as much? You don't suppose that would prevent undergrounding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

A feasibility study is just that, a study, so I really don't follow with the Pandora's box analogy.

If the figures stack up as being excessively costly then they will simply tick the boxes as having done what they were asked and go back to their preferred pylon option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Chiparus wrote: »
    One thing I cannot understand is the need for a 440Kv line, I doubt they will get that much power from the windmills, and It unlikely to be constant or reliable, so I was wondering is there any plans to build a power plant near the Shell gas processing plant?

I think they might be factoring this into their long- term plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

FYI Eirgrid have responded to the 35,000 people who made submissions on Grid Link

Details http://www.oreilly.ie/eirgrid-respond-to-submissions-on-grid-link-project/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I'm sure 35,000 gave them a shock. They seem to cover a lot in the response but not a lot of substance. I found this to be the most interesting bit:

"It is important to be clear that an underground option for the Grid Link Project is technically possible, but ..........." page 10

attached pdf of response

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Any update on this?

Yes, time has moved on, people are busy with other things and no one cares about Eirgrid anymore.

loremolis wrote: »
    Yes, time has moved on, people are busy with other things and no one cares about Eirgrid anymore.

So the pylons are going up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i think irish water has taken over from eirgrid in the news.

Eirgrid must be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Nothing official but the pylons were always going to go up. Undergrounding them is just not feasible.

Nothing official but the pylons were always going to go up. Undergrounding them is just not feasible.

It would cost a fortune alright, but its not like we don't pay a fortune for electricity as is anyways.

• Advertisement

It would cost a fortune alright, but its not like we don't pay a fortune for electricity as is anyways.

Yes, but we'd pay even more then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yes, but we'd pay even more then :(

Grid west is being developed to facilitate massive wind farms in North Mayo. All these unnecessary pylon and wind farm projects will be bankrolled by the Irish public via ever increasing energy bills. We already have far more wind energy on the system than we need(see ESB submission to recent green paper on energy) which is why energy bills remain high despite falling oil and gas prices. Gridwest will be delayed until after the next election for poltical reasons which is why things are quiet on that front ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Grid west is being developed to facilitate massive wind farms in North Mayo. All these unnecessary pylon and wind farm projects will be bankrolled by the Irish public via ever increasing energy bills. We already have far more wind energy on the system than we need(see ESB submission to recent green paper on energy) which is why energy bills remain high despite falling oil and gas prices. Gridwest will be delayed until after the next election for poltical reasons which is why things are quiet on that front ATM

that seems to be so. We will continue to be screwed by the cost of this.

Regulators toothless.

Looks like it will be an election issue.

People like Séamus Weir, who has already resigned from FG over this, will feature at GE

Birdnuts wrote: »

Wind, solar, oil, fart powered - we still require infrastructure which is going to cost us and undergrounding it will cost more.

Wind, solar, oil, fart powered - we still require infrastructure which is going to cost us and undergrounding it will cost more.

Fairly obvious and it should be paid for by the government over a 20/30 year period.

Economics alone should'nt be the key driver in this.

Fairly obvious and it should be paid for by the government over a 20/30 year period.

Economics alone should'nt be the key driver in this.

Where do you think the government will get the money from? Estimates range form 5-10 times the price to underground the infrastructure, why should the taxpayer fund that?

Where do you think the government will get the money from? Estimates range form 5-10 times the price to underground the infrastructure, why should the taxpayer fund that?

The government will get the money from where they get all their money. The bond markets. They only issued 30-year bonds this week with a record low 2.1% interest rate. This coupled with the new Quantative Easing issued by the ECB means there is cheap money to be had to build key infrastructure across the Eurozone.

Fairly simple why the taxpayer should pay for it as it benefits ALL taxpayers.

Even with all these factors considered the key driver shouldn't only be economics of course.

The government will get the money from where they get all their money. The bond markets. They only issued 30-year bonds this week with a record low 2.1% interest rate. This coupled with the new Quantative Easing issued by the ECB means there is cheap money to be had to build key infrastructure across the Eurozone.

Fairly simple why the taxpayer should pay for it as it benefits ALL taxpayers.

Even with all these factors considered the key driver shouldn't only be economics of course.

Undergrounding it doesn't benefit everyone equally at all.

Undergrounding it doesn't benefit everyone equally at all.

Nor do many things in this world however something choices should be made that are not so self centered and self focussed on personal gain or benefit.

• Advertisement

Nor do many things in this world however something choices should be made that are not so self centered and self focussed on personal gain or benefit.

Undergrounding is purely self centered and self focussed on personal gain or benefit :/

Advertisement