Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gridwest project.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Noise pollution, the last i checked electricity didnt make any noise.

Also should it be put underground , there wont be any compo as you dont own your own land past a certain depth, the government does.

This whole shell to sea lark is going to start here.

People forgot the jobs and money that the gas has brought to the area. The same with this project. its going to link a windfarm and windfarms creates jobs. Ballina is a jobs blackspot and this 400kv line will be within toughing distance of it.

some of the mutinationals will be very interested in north mayo if a 400kv line is near it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I googled a very serious topic and I found a link to prove it.
    Someone think of the children!!!

http://www.thescienceforum.com/new-hypotheses-ideas/12545-masturbation-will-make-you-blind-crippled.html

yop wrote: »
    I googled a very serious topic and I found a link to prove it.
    Someone think of the children!!!

http://www.thescienceforum.com/new-hypotheses-ideas/12545-masturbation-will-make-you-blind-crippled.html

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

irishgeo wrote: »
    Noise pollution, the last i checked electricity didnt make any noise.

Oh, such a naive comment. You can hear these power lines loudly buzzing from a couple of hundred metres away. I used to part time walk them in the UK checking for tree growth/obstructions etc. Now I am not saying they were responsible but I used to get some heaving headaches after spending a few hours near them.

Once I quit doing that and moved over here my headaches now come from wondering how I am going to raise money for the house tax next year!

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

As I understand it, it is cheaper in the short term to have above ground pylons then to underground them (including maintainance). That is - cheaper in cost to the operator who does not have to pay for the landscape value lost for the foreseeable future. The operators main shareholder being the government. Odd that they are putting short term gain over imo a far better long term solution, esp as our tourist industry relies on landscape value..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Looks like MM was in the eye of this storm last night and the 700 or so that showed up feel they have genuine concerns.

From mid west.

Large turnout at Knockmore meeting over pylon concerns

Created on Saturday, 19 October 2013 10:44
    Emotions ran high in the village of Knockmore last night (Friday) as more than 700 people gathered to air their views on a controversial high power line that’s set to run through the area, and close to two local national schools.

Knockmore community centre was full to capacity, and a range of concerns – from health fears to the impact on property values - were expressed.
    The meeting was called by local councillor Seamus Weir in response to details of the Eirgrid – Grid West - 1 kilometre-wide preferred corridor, which were unveiled last week.

The 400 kv line will run from North Mayo to South Leitrim and Eirgrid says the project will guarantee security of power supply and bring jobs and industry to the region.

Cllr Weir has also pledged to raise the issue at next Monday’s meeting of Mayo County Council, and a number of local area councillors attended last night’s event.

Deputy Michelle Mulherin, who was the only TD able to attend the gathering, gave a number of assurances on the aims of the project in upgrading the region’s electricity supply, and on compensation packages currently being negotiated with the Irish Farmer’s Association.

The brunt of local anger fell on the Ballina-based Fine Gael deputy however, as a number of angry speakers challenged her to plead with Taoiseach Enda Kenny to intervene and to have the line re-routed or put underground.

There were a number of heated contributions from the floor, and a number of speakers from the Moygownagh area who will also be impacted by the line, called for communities along the route to stick together and fight the project through the planning and political processes.

Deputy Mulherin came under fire from several of those in attendance and was heckled and challenged at various points throughout the meeting, over assurances that she was committed to the community.

Representatives of Eirgrid were not available to attend last night’s meeting, but are holding a series of information events in venues along the route – include one in Foxford and another in Swinford next week.
    Deputies Michael Ring, John O’Mahony and Dara Calleary sent their apologies as they were unable to attend the event.

In correspondence read out at the meeting Deputies O’Mahony and Calleary undertook to assist the Knockmore community in raising their concerns with Eirgrid.

Eirgrid public information meetings will take place in Swinford, at the Gateway Hotel next Tuesday and at the May Fly Hotel in Foxford on Wednesday. Those run from 1 pm to 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Last post on this I promise;-) there are meetings as described above occurring in different areas this lasted months. The turn out is always huge, and lots of people have real concerns. Personally speaking I like to hear both sides of the story before forming an opinion. I think it's a little naive to dismiss either side or hope some compromise couldn't be reached.

This route was originally planned to go near ballina but the council made sure that wouldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Daisy M wrote: »
    Last post on this I promise;-) there are meetings as described above occurring in different areas this lasted months. The turn out is always huge, and lots of people have real concerns. Personally speaking I like to hear both sides of the story before forming an opinion. I think it's a little naive to dismiss either side or hope some compromise couldn't be reached.

This route was originally planned to go near ballina but the council made sure that wouldn't happen.

What evidence do you have for this?

finisklin wrote: »

The 400 kv line will run from North Mayo to South Leitrim and Eirgrid says the project will guarantee security of power supply and bring jobs and industry to the region.

Deputy Michelle Mulherin, who was the only TD able to attend the gathering, gave a number of assurances on the aims of the project in upgrading the region’s electricity supply, and on compensation packages currently being negotiated with the Irish Farmer’s Association.

Is it only me that suspects that this is all 'spin'. It seems to fit in nicely with the impending planning applications in the same area for 400 plus wind turbines that will be generating electricity for the UK market... NOT MAYO.

MM is a fool. Worse, she is an arrogant fool. At least the others showed a modicum of intelligence in staying away, knowing that local communities don't want this blight on their lives and were likely to vent their anger on the 'top table' She is a sycophant, a mouthpiece for the government and won't ever go against her paymasters. She got what she deserved.

And before we get the same "it will bring jobs to the area" claims - think of the jobs that such a scheme drives away. Less tourists = less money into the area.

If reports of the levels of compensation are correct then it must be economically viable to bury the necessary cables out of sight even with a 'disturbance' payment to land owners. I recall in the UK there were claims that it cost £1million per mile to bury the cables on a particular project and that claim was rubbished years later when examination of advice documents took place under FOIA legislation.

Mayo is being blighted by industrial generating projects for the benefit of others and it is the local communities who are suffering. I don't believe anyone on these boards would be happy with a 400 foot metal monster 50m from their house. So those who are fighting against this scheme have my sympathy and support.

We also owe it to our children and later generations to try to curb these environmental nightmares and at least give them the opportunities to see this County in a more natural condition.

That's my opinion.

TT

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Daisy M wrote: »
    ...lots of people have real concerns.
    Not if those concerns are to do with imaginary health risks.
    Personally speaking I like to hear both sides of the story before forming an opinion.
    Me too, but I tend to come down on whichever side uses logic and reason to arrive at its conclusions.
    TopTec wrote: »
    Is it only me that suspects that this is all 'spin'. It seems to fit in nicely with the impending planning applications in the same area for 400 plus wind turbines that will be generating electricity for the UK market... NOT MAYO.
    Here's the thing about a 400kV transmission line: it can't be made to only work one way. If this line is built, it's extending Eirgrid's 400kV network into Mayo, which makes its capacity available to Mayo industries in a way that it hasn't been before now.
    I don't believe anyone on these boards would be happy with a 400 foot metal monster 50m from their house.
    So if you're a nimby, everyone else must be a nimby too?
    We also owe it to our children and later generations to try to curb these environmental nightmares and at least give them the opportunities to see this County in a more natural condition.
    Electricity lines are environmental nightmares? Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

MM is a fool. Worse, she is an arrogant fool. At least the others showed a modicum of intelligence in staying away, knowing that local communities don't want this blight on their lives and were likely to vent their anger on the 'top table' She is a sycophant, a mouthpiece for the government and won't ever go against her paymasters. She got what she deserved.
    Agreed, have seen here in action a few times now and she is embarrassing for an educated person.
    And before we get the same "it will bring jobs to the area" claims - think of the jobs that such a scheme drives away. Less tourists = less money into the area.
    A pylon in a field is going to drive away tourists....

Mayo is being blighted by industrial generating projects for the benefit of others and it is the local communities who are suffering. I don't believe anyone on these boards would be happy with a 400 foot metal monster 50m from their house. So those who are fighting against this scheme have my sympathy and support.
    400ft! Seriously, the standard height of an electrical pylon is 150ft!!!

How is this an environmental nightmare? How are they any worse than the mobile phone masts or media masts?

We more like owe it to our children to encourage industrial development and not leave this county to turn into a ghost town for 20-30 year olds who have left here in their 1000's over the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

yop wrote: »

We more like owe it to our children to encourage industrial development and not leave this county to turn into a ghost town for 20-30 year olds who have left here in their 1000's over the last number of years.

The Pylons are being installed primarily to service future wind farms in the West of the county(I have an interest in a small dry stock farm in North Mayo so have been following this story). Evidence from other parts of the country and elsewhere suggest very few permanent jobs are created in this way. Take Donegal which has more wind farms then the rest of the country put together, along with an extensive pylon infrastructure to service these areas. For all that Donegal has one of the highest(if not highest!!) youth unemployment rates in the country. Also don't forget all this has to be paid for by someone, most likely already hard pressed energy users whose bills are already on the rise thanx in part to ever growing subsidies to wind developers. Industry is looking for a reliable energy supply and the variability of wind does not offer that. If these pylons were servicing a gas or nuclear power station then you might have an arguement. There is also a strong arguement for putting at least some of this infrastruture underground, particulary in sensitive/scenic areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wertuoi

Great to see so many engaging on this topic. Can anyone explain what happens to the 400kv line in the Flagford/Carrick-on-Shannon substation? Does it get powered down or is there another line coming out ?

wertuoi wrote: »
    Great to see so many engaging on this topic. Can anyone explain what happens to the 400kv line in the Flagford/Carrick-on-Shannon substation? Does it get powered down or is there another line coming out ?
    In the short term I'd imagine it will be stepped down to feed the existing 220kV network, but longer-term it's possible the national 400kV network will be extended to meet it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Avns1s wrote: »
    Lucky you! The neighbours will have it in for you when you're getting the payments for your land being used and they're not. :)
    I think we would much rather if there was no Pylon in the middle of the field..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wertuoi

There is no possibility of any company in mayo, Roscommon or Leitrim accessing this power unless Eirgrid provides new substations. There are no plans to do so. Don't be lead by misguided advice that this is for the benefit of the west.

There is no possibility of any company in mayo, Roscommon or Leitrim accessing this power unless Eirgrid provides new substations. There are no plans to do so. Don't be lead by misguided advice that this is for the benefit of the west.
    And you think that, should this line not go ahead, there will be new substations?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

A connection to the regional grid is planned. The project will clearly benefit Mayo and the wider region.

Are you really trying to claim a line of these "metal monster" will drive away tourists?

Mayo is being blighted by industrial generating projects for the benefit of others

For the benefit of both Mayo and the country. Last time I checked, we're still one country.

Yes... we owe it to our children to say no to renewable energy... err... what?

Mid west is in over drive and really fuelling the anti grid sentiment. I wonder if MM will address residents concerns?

Public meeting tonight in Killasser on proposed GridWest project

Created on Monday, 21 October 2013 11:22 A public meeting will take place this evening in Killasser Community Centre on the GridWest project.

The meeting is for concerned residents of the Killasser area, through which the proposed high-power energy lines will run and gets underway at 8pm.
    The one-kilometre wide preferred route was announced last month, for the high-capacity power lines that will run from Moygownagh in north Mayo to Flagford in Co Roscommon, which will connect the electricity generated by renewable resources into the national grid.

Eirgird, the company behind the project, will hold open days in the Gateway Hotel Swinford tomorrow and in the Mayfly Hotel Foxford on Wednesday running from 1-8pm on both days.

Does anyone know if an independent,credible CBA was produced for this project?? The only thing I've got through the door of my address in North Mayo from eirgrid on the benefits of this project, has been some vague waffle about wind power etc. If pylons and wind turbines were the answer to a counties economic woes then the likes of Donegal would be booming by now. The reality is that Donegal is an even bigger unemployment blackspot than most of Mayo:(

• Advertisement

Does MayoCoCo have any say in the planning side of the project?

'Mayo County Council have agreed to hold a special meeting on November 6 at 10am, to discuss the issues in north Mayo surrounding the Eirgrid preferred route selection'

https://www.facebook.com/MayoAdvertiser/posts/10151623268066582

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You have to wonder if the "Mayo gets nothing" people or the people who wrongly say "Dublin gets everything" are the same who are objecting to wind farms and power grid upgrades.

Does MayoCoCo have any say in the planning side of the project?

'Mayo County Council have agreed to hold a special meeting on November 6 at 10am, to discuss the issues in north Mayo surrounding the Eirgrid preferred route selection'

https://www.facebook.com/MayoAdvertiser/posts/10151623268066582

Looks like the county councillors are feeling the pinch from the public meetings that are happening and this may help assuage any fears that are out there.

Not sure if their input is official or not but there would have to be some discussions informally at least on approach etc.

Being close to the local elections next year, a certain trepidation on behalf of the councillors may find it difficult to put this to bed easily.

monument wrote: »
    You have to wonder if the "Mayo gets nothing" people or the people who wrongly say "Dublin gets everything" are the same who are objecting to wind farms and power grid upgrades.

I somehow doubt the well healed residents of Howth or Dalkey would be too keen on the idea of living next to giant pylons or wind turbines. Such things are for the peasants down the country would be their view. It amazes me all this talk about jobs and investment on the back of such things given the experience of places like Donegal, North Cork etc. No one has answered me yet in this thread on whether a proper CBA had been done on this project??

Birdnuts wrote: »
    No one has answered me yet in this thread on whether a proper CBA had been done on this project??

What is a CBA? An assessment of some sort?

TT

What is a CBA? An assessment of some sort?

TT

CBA = Cost Benefit Analysis.

Only thing is that this is specific to individual stakeholders. For example, the protestors will produce a different one than Eirgrid and interpret their one differently etc.

Eirgrid have to have one, only thing is that it won't be for public consumption. The benefit will have to be quantified to them in terms of profit and return on investment over a set number of years.

The government will try to justify if from a policy perspective - energy, jobs etc.

Personally, there's too many abbreviations in every day life. Mind numbing to be dropping them on here. :cool:

finisklin wrote: »

Eirgrid have to have one, only thing is that it won't be for public consumption. The benefit will have to be quantified to them in terms of profit and return on investment over a set number of years.

. :cool:

Well thats only half the story - Eirgrid are a state monopoly that all the power companies eg.ESB,Airtricity etc have to pay to use the grid. If this project turns out to be a white elephant they can simply increase their charges to the power companies to make up for any loss. This ultimatly means higher bills for all energy users, both domestic and industrial. This whole project is a giant bet on wind power, whoose shortcomings are becoming more and more apparent in places like Germany Spain etc. with ever higher energy bills and damage to the existing grid due to the extreme variability and diffuse nature of wind as a power source. Even the UK were all these so called wind export projects are meant to be supplying are getting cold feet on the whole thing and are instead looking to revitalizing their nuclear industry to meet their low carb energy needs.

One stakeholders benefits is another's costs.....

More here from mid west on the council meeting in 2 weeks.

Special meeting of Mayo Co Co next month to discuss controversial Gridwest project

Created on Monday, 21 October 2013 15:34

A special meeting of Mayo County Council will take place in two weeks time to discuss the controversial GridWest project.

The proposal to hold a special meeting was put forward by Knockmore-based Fine Gael Councillor Seamus Weir at today’s meeting of Mayo County Council, and received unanimous support.

This followed a public meeting in Knockmore on Friday night last, at which a number of concerns were raised in relation to Eirgrid’s plans to run a 400 KV overhead power line from Moygownagh in north Mayo to Flagford near Carrick-on-Shannon.

At today’s meeting, it was agreed that a special council meeting will take place on Monday 4th November to discuss the GridWest project.

Definitely quaking in their boots.......

anyone got a google maps links to a current 400kv line just to judge the height of the pylons.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone got a google maps links to a current 400kv line just to judge the height of the pylons.

Western people has it as 150ft or the height of a ten story building. They superimposed a pylon on the local landscape for a photo and it is a big mother"%&*er. It has 6 lines running through it.

Make no mistake they are massive and noise pollution is a certainty. Definitely will spoil the view of the lake for some as well.

Advertisement