Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you having issues with 8.1?

• 17-10-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

I've had two so far,
    First one was Panda's free anti virus. At startup it was causing a 45 sec hang.
    I uninstalled it and all is fine.

Second, Stardocks ModernMix was causing the Windows store app to open at startup then constantly crash. I disable it for now.

Anyone else having issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Windows 8 has AV built in, you don't need Panda.

ModernMix probably isn't 8.1 compatible yet - you're running the latest version, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

testicle wrote: »
    Windows 8 has AV built in, you don't need Panda.

ModernMix probably isn't 8.1 compatible yet - you're running the latest version, yeah?

Well I stopped using it after reading this http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

Yeah, running the latest version of ModernMix but, to be honest I never really use MS apps or the store. So I can live without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,677 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've had to install 8.1 updated versions of start8 and softperfect ramdisk because they stopped working / crashed windows 8.1

Apart from that I'm happy now, I've made the final migration this last hour. Everything is working fine now. Nice increase of speed and free up of space on the SSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Planetside2 had an RGB graphics issue after the update, here is the solution, https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/windows-8-1-rgb-graphics-issue-solution.154583/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Installed windows 8.1 yesterday.

Initially I wasn`t able to start a number of windows 8 apps such as the store and Plex, so decided to reboot my desktop PC.
    Upon logging in I was faced with a black screen. I quickly ruled out that this was not a cable/hardware issue as I was able to access task manager by selecting Ctrl, alt and del. and start windows in safe mode.

I researched and tried a number of solutions to this issue with no luck.

I then tried the following with no success:

- tried to repair windows using my windows 8 disk
    - Tried a windows refresh
    - Point in time restore using system restore
    - Tried to re-install windows while keeping my existing files and programs

After hours of trying to fix these issues I decided my only option (last resort) was a complete clean install of windows 8:-(

This weekend I will now be spending alot of my free time re-downloading programmes and configuring my PC:-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Only problem I've experienced is that all newly installed apps and app updates are sitting at 'pending'. I'm hoping it's only because the servers are getting hammered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Getting a SecureBoot isn't configured correctly message on desktop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,692 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

degsie wrote: »
    Only problem I've experienced is that all newly installed apps and app updates are sitting at 'pending'. I'm hoping it's only because the servers are getting hammered.
    This bothered the holy bejeebus out of me. But yeah the update unlocked access to a ton more apps so they had to see that coming. The Facebook app is as legit as any other mobile FB app and the 3D Mark app was nice to have as well. Spoiler Alert: Surface RT performance is terrible, and the Galaxy Note III is far and away the most powerful device on the market right now. Will try to run the utility on the Surface 2 when I see it in the store.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Getting a SecureBoot isn't configured correctly message on desktop

Make sure secure boot is enabled in the bios. If you don't want to use secure boot I think it's possible to completely turn off the feature, someone else will have to help here as I'm not sure :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

No problems so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Since I updated to 8.1 every torrent I try to open with bittorrent gives the error "unable to open xxxxxx torrent is not valid bencoding"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Well I had to move the users directory back to the C drive with sysprep before it would upgrade.
    Now that it has upgraded all the built in metro apps either crash immediately or hang on their splash screen depending on their mood.
    Skype always says oops it's already signed in on this pc please try again when it isn't.
    Other than that though it's grand :pac:

Since I updated to 8.1 every torrent I try to open with bittorrent gives the error "unable to open xxxxxx torrent is not valid bencoding"

Have you tried re-installing the torrent client? Also if your clicking magnet links make sure your browser is also up to date. It could be your torrent client doesn't like 8.1, I can confirm utorrent works fine though

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Only issue is the secureboot watermark similar to this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZUk2-WL_5C-wiUdKp4Vh-zDkKSLJ-ZiHfkXf8doX-4P4jT58BLg

snapping apps is kinda buggy but I only frequently have problems on the RT. Usually causes the touch interface to lock up, preventing the machine from being rebooted unless you Ctrl+Alt+Del or force a shutdown; and causes apps to not load or switch back to.

I also have a problem where using the address bar in IE11 to search brings me not to bing or google but to my ISP's DNS page. Probably the most annoying problem of the lot.

Davy wrote: »
    Only issue is the secureboot watermark similar to this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZUk2-WL_5C-wiUdKp4Vh-zDkKSLJ-ZiHfkXf8doX-4P4jT58BLg

Enable secure boot in the bios to remove that, there is another setting that disables it completely (UEFI boot?). Not entirely sure though

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

I have to start my PC twice before I can log on or see my picture password screen. When it boots up the first time I just have a black screen with the mouse pointer, when I hit the power button to shutdown I get a quick flash of the logon screen but all then seems fine when I restart.

nc6000 wrote: »
    I have to start my PC twice before I can log on or see my picture password screen. When it boots up the first time I just have a black screen with the mouse pointer, when I hit the power button to shutdown I get a quick flash of the logon screen but all then seems fine when I restart.

Make sure to update the graphics card drivers and see if it helps,

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Make sure to update the graphics card drivers and see if it helps,

Nick

That looks to have fixed it thanks.

All seems to be fine now apart from one or two apps which I think I've to re-install. Microsoft Minesweeper and Microsoft Mahjong were both giving an error and telling me to go to the Store. When I looked them up in the Store it told me they were installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've had a few issues, none of my games would run but that is sorted now, had to reinstall comodo. I can't watch videos on YouTube or Facebook as my browser is too old I need to update to IE8, I'm using 10 or 11, whichever comes with 8.1

• Advertisement

I have this cute problem where if I have 2 snapped apps and I pull another out to switch to, its little square gets stuck at the divider line and hovers there until I give it another little nudge in the right direction :)

nc6000 wrote: »
    That looks to have fixed it thanks.

All seems to be fine now apart from one or two apps which I think I've to re-install. Microsoft Minesweeper and Microsoft Mahjong were both giving an error and telling me to go to the Store. When I looked them up in the Store it told me they were installed.

Actually it doesn't look like it fixed it afterall. When I reboot my PC it seemed fine, I did this 4 or 5 times yesterday to test it and all looked OK. When I turn it on after it has been shutdown the issue occurs. Very odd.

I think I'll remove the ATI software and reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

since the update I can not connect to my speakers via bluetooth. It finds the speakers, connects and then immediately disconnects.

very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

The only issue I'm having is the update won't install. Getting the error code: 0x80070004 :confused::confused:

yoyo wrote: »
    Make sure secure boot is enabled in the bios. If you don't want to use secure boot I think it's possible to completely turn off the feature, someone else will have to help here as I'm not sure :)

Nick

The only way I know of removing the Secure Boot watermark without enabling it is to install and boot Windows in BIOS/MBR (legacy) mode rather than UEFI/GPT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Karsini wrote: »
    The only way I know of removing the Secure Boot watermark without enabling it is to install and boot Windows in BIOS/MBR (legacy) mode rather than UEFI/GPT.

Windows 8.1 'SecureBoot isn't configured correctly' watermark finally removed via hotfix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

sky go doesn't work....

Overheal wrote: »
    I have this cute problem where if I have 2 snapped apps and I pull another out to switch to, its little square gets stuck at the divider line and hovers there until I give it another little nudge in the right direction :)
    Actually Im seeing this on multiple devices and have come to consider it a feature: it lets you pick which snapped app you are going to swap out the app you just swiped in, with. Desktop does it too.

I don't know if I could call this an 8.1 issue or not but I think it might have been a SkyDrive glitch. The bookmarks sync apparently got stuck in some kind of infinite loop. So every time I logged into an alternate PC, it would re-sync a new set of bookmarks, and so on.

Well I finally tracked down why Firefox was getting slower and slower and slower over the last 2 weeks. That caused my bookmarks to replicate themselves exponentially (at least the ones shared with IE) and before you know it some 30 bookmarks became 38,256 according to the delete process I finally ran on my favorites folder. Consuming 7.53GB. It caused horrible lockups anytime I spawned a new firefox window. tabs were OK, but the way it handles a new window caused it to flip the **** out. So I just had a lovely purge of all of my bookmarks and internet history.

Firefox is no longer allowed to have sex with IE's bookmark system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Since upgrading to 8.1 my screen screen contrast is very poor.It seems like the colour is very washed out.I have checked the nvidia gt630 graphics card for the latest drivers which are up to date.
    It looks like the laptop is using Intel hd graphics as well so maybe the nvidia is only for gaming,however I cannot find a contrast setting on the Intel control panel.
    My laptop is an Acer aspire v3-571g.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement