Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trap, neuter, release

• 18-10-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

So I've finally organised with a shelter to trap a cat (feral I think) that I've been feeding for the past month or two. It's happening tomorrow hopefully. The cat seems to have a problem with one eye. It's half open and weeping a bit.

I'm just wondering what happens. The lady on the phone was pretty brief. Will they take the cat and euthanize it if it's sick? Or neuter it and bring it back? Will I be expected to pay full whack for veterinary care?

One problem is that this cat keeps attacking my own cat (who is very timid). So if they release it back to where I live will the attacks stop?

Anyone with any experience of this basically? I'm feeling very guilty in case he gets put down.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Speaking on behalf of the rescue organisation I work the below would apply.

If they neuter it the aggression is likely to be reduced over time (i.e. as hormones goes away) but it's never going to be completly removed. In general the preferred option would be to try to home it but it depends on the cats behaviour and the available spaces.

Depending on the state of the cat it may be put down but that's done when the vet judges that there's no way to give the cat a decent life (i.e. a cat is not put down because it has a cough) or the operation runs into complications (i.e. we've had cats dying on the surgery table due to complications not forseen).

You would not pay anything for this; it's all taken care of by the rescue organization but I'm sure they would love a donation towards the cost (this is not in any way mandatory or expected how ever).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

This happened to my friend and I sorted out with a local cat rescue the tnr, the cat looked in a right scruffy manky state we felt it was 50/50 if she would be too ill to live but actually once she was checked over she was fine apart from needing feeding up and I think she also had a sore eye but it was nothing major, got her spayed and she now lives a happy life with my friend and her kids, the rescue covered the cost but we made a (not large enough) donation and I have made a another small donation since and will continue to do so as and when me/my friend can.

The only thing I would say is donate what you can because these schemes are lifelines (literally) for the cats and the rescues need all the help they can as they do a wonderful job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

judgefudge wrote: »
    So I've finally organised with a shelter to trap a cat (feral I think) that I've been feeding for the past month or two. It's happening tomorrow hopefully. The cat seems to have a problem with one eye. It's half open and weeping a bit.

I'm just wondering what happens. The lady on the phone was pretty brief. Will they take the cat and euthanize it if it's sick? Or neuter it and bring it back? Will I be expected to pay full whack for veterinary care?

One problem is that this cat keeps attacking my own cat (who is very timid). So if they release it back to where I live will the attacks stop?

Anyone with any experience of this basically? I'm feeling very guilty in case he gets put down.

It may be too late now, but you can always ask for the cat not to be put down because he has a slight touch of the cat flu. You might be asked to pay for its treatment though. (I'm assuming that's what it has) But vets know best I guess even though I find them slightly trigger happy regarding cats with cat flu or respiratory infections.
    Regarding the donation, if you don't have it you can't give it, but when you do, try your best, because these charities help and love animals.

Advertisement