Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting open water abroad

Options
  • 18-10-2013 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Im in a position to get an SDI open water c card in Oz for about 170 EUR.

(a course from a real dive shop, not a shady deal from the back of a van)

Whats the recognition of SDI like in Ireland? I'd like to do some cold water training as well when I get back, but will I be starting from scratch with the CFT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

Sdi are a recognised training agent . Upon your return you can do a cross over with a CFT club . This would approiate to a diver 1* . You will still dive but their training standard to 2* would be an ongoing training as you go thing .

PS 170 is a great price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Thanks for the reply, I was unsure if SDI was merely a local(ish) organisation.

I was psyched to see 170 EUR as a price considering that they usually run about 350 to 400 EUR here, I bought two and have convinced my girlfriend to come along.

Plus I get to do my open water dives in some warm water, during the hot season here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Well I just got my card. The guys knew what they were doing and I feel I learned a lot, but they were pretty new at teaching so the course was a bit chaotic/haphazard.

All in all a good venture though.

Now up to the GBR/NZ and Thailand for a holiday to get some more practice in.

Advertisement