Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum 'redirection' is or is not backseat modding?

Options
  • 18-10-2013 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

I have to say I do have a gripe with posts in AH that whine about posts not being in the regional forums. Surely if an event has made the national papers then it is a national event/topic?

Why is whining about a thread about something that happens in Dublin and posting things like "Dublin forum" or "who cares about Dublin" or "try the Dublin forum" not backseat modding and against the charter?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

It depends on how it's done, I think.

I've pointed out a few people should post in other forums and usually give a link. I'm trying to be helpful.

But yeah, if you're saying it to be a dick then I think it should be against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I think it depends on the context. For example, "Where can I get a Where's Wally costume in Dublin?" should be in the Dublin Forum. "Where's good to drink in Dublin?", "Where's The Pint in Dublin?" and "Good Italian food in Dublin?" also belong in the Dublin forum. Things like the redesign of the ESB monstrosity, work up Grafton Street, putting those stupid concrete blocks outside Dublin Castle, so on, are a National thing, despite being in Dublin. The difference is the first are things people in Dublin could better answer, the second is a whole lot of money being spent, most times unnecessarily, and the nature of Irish heritage. I wouldn't say it's backseat modding, but there you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

It depends on how it's done, I think.

I've pointed out a few people should post in other forums and usually give a link. I'm trying to be helpful.

But yeah, if you're saying it to be a dick then I think it should be against the rules.

Being helpful is very clear. Hey OP you might get more responses and help in the Mushroom forum etc.

What is dickish in my view is undermining a thread by either the "Dublin forum" response or "The world doesn't revolve around Dublin" chip on shoulder. I do think mods should have zero tolerance for that as backseat modding and wilfully ignoring the report button in order to have a dig at the OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

MadsL wrote: »
    Being helpful is very clear. Hey OP you might get more responses and help in the Mushroom forum etc.

What is dickish in my view is undermining a thread by either the "Dublin forum" response or "The world doesn't revolve around Dublin" chip on shoulder. I do think mods should have zero tolerance for that as backseat modding and wilfully ignoring the report button in order to have a dig at the OP.

A lot of such threads have been closed out by AH mods with a similar tone.

I assume that this is to do with the ESB building one. Truth is that it doesn't affect the rest of Ireland, just Dublin. You claim it's a terrible building, but there's terrible buildings in Galway, in Cork, in other places. If a topic gets created in AH, you can be damned sure it'll be either closed or moved to it's regional forum. Why should things in Dublin be exempt from this?

If you allow threads like that to stay just because they're in the Capital city, then you have to allow other cities too, otherwise the regional forums become pointless.

Also I would like to add that people would often post in AH, simply because it has more traffic. The regional forums, even the Dublin one, tend to be slow at the best of times. Is this not against boards.ie rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I assume that this is to do with the ESB building one. Truth is that it doesn't affect the rest of Ireland, just Dublin. You claim it's a terrible building, but there's terrible buildings in Galway, in Cork, in other places. If a topic gets created in AH, you can be damned sure it'll be either closed or moved to it's regional forum. Why should things in Dublin be exempt from this?

If you allow threads like that to stay just because they're in the Capital city, then you have to allow other cities too, otherwise the regional forums become pointless.

Also I would like to add that people would often post in AH, simply because it has more traffic. The regional forums, even the Dublin one, tend to be slow at the best of times. Is this not against boards.ie rules?
    It's in the AH charter.

Do not post here to reach a larger
    audience.

Posting
    on After Hours to reach a larger audience is not allowed. If there is a more
    suitable forum for your thread, post it there. Threads to solicit votes for
    reality TV shows etc. are not allowed. Do not ask us to complete any surveys
    either. If you are unsure of the correct place to post you're probably not going
    to like the answers you might get here. You can query where the best place might
    be in the Newbies and FAQ forum. If you are unsure please
    private message any After Hours moderator for confirmation.

Surely the Art & Architecture forum would be more suited than the Dublin one.

Having zero tolerance policies never work - with the exception of things like bullying etc of course and even then there's a lot more involved that just handing out cards on a whim.

If we cracked down every time someone suggested another forum, we would have a feedback thread about how heavy handed we were. Zero tolerance would have to mean just that - so helpful posts would certainly need to be included.

If we had a zero tolerance policy, posts like this would need to be actioned too.

And this, by your description above, would almost certainly be backseat modding - (not to mention pretty patronising to a brand new poster).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

And this, by your description above, would almost certainly be backseat modding - (not to mention pretty patronising to a brand new poster).
    Most epic burn award goes to Whoops!

So it seems that the OP has a chip on their shoulder when it comes to issues about Dublin but finds it OK to do exactly what they're complaining about to others? Hypocrite much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I suppose as it's about the ESB building and not a more general topic, it could be seen as a Dublin only concern, but it's hardly anything to get worked up over by getting into a posting battle. By replying your just encouraging it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I think there should be 'zero tolerance' on dull, boring, mundane, not interesting, tedious, drab threads posted on After Hours that have a perfectly suitable dull, boring, mundane, not interesting, tedious, drab forum to go in.

Having zero tolerance policies never work - with the exception of things like bullying etc of course and even then there's a lot more involved that just handing out cards on a whim.

If we cracked down every time someone suggested another forum, we would have a feedback thread about how heavy handed we were. Zero tolerance would have to mean just that - so helpful posts would certainly need to be included.

If we had a zero tolerance policy, posts like this would need to be actioned too.

How is telling someone who has a problem with my posts report them backseat modding? :confused:

I'll take the burn and I am applying sudocrem as we speak.
    In fairness not that hard in my boards history to find something to hang me...
    ...and don't we have a rule about trawling a posters history and bringing in posts from other threads ;) :pac:

You missed the deliberately overly patronising tone for comedic effect, (probably because it wasn't funny) so more of a humour fail. But that post was at least leading the poster to a more appropriate forum.

The problem I am talking about is pissing all over a thread just in order to piss over a thread. No-one is even trying to be funny or helpful, just being a dick because they don't like the thread. And I'm sure I have probably been just as dickish in the same way in my posting history before anyone runs off to check, it doesn't make it OK.

I think there should be 'zero tolerance' on dull, boring, mundane, not interesting, tedious, drab threads posted on After Hours that have a perfectly suitable dull, boring, mundane, not interesting, tedious, drab forum to go in.

It's not like the thread got the interest level of 90 replies or 104 poll responses or anything...oh wait.

Having zero tolerance policies never work

:confused:

Yore Ma
    Blast it with piss
    Bullying
    Sl*ne G*rl
    Grammar Nazi
    Racism
    Sexism

etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Meh, helpfully pointing out the right forum with a link and a reasonable explanation is fine in my eyes, posts along the lines of 'go away to x forum' are a bit dickish though

I opened this thread mainly because it always seems to be Dublin-centric threads that take hammering and the most moaning (you rarely see a "Take it to the UK forum" comment) but also to give the two poster moaning in the ESB thread somewhere to make comment and even provided a handy link.

Posts by those users in this thread: 0

That says a lot imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

:confused:

Yore Ma
    Blast it with piss
    Bullying
    Sl*ne G*rl
    Grammar Nazi
    Racism
    Sexism

etc

The difference is that those are not subjective. The line between directing someone to a more appropriate forum to be helpful and doing it to be a d*ck is too thin. You claim the one you posted was a failed attempt at comedy by being overly patronising. Others could see it as just being intentionally patronising. Some who were intentionally patronising might claim they were only joking after being actioned for it. Some mods might read it one way and the other mods read it the other way.

Some rules simply cannot be black or white. This is one of them. A zero tolerance policy for this would never work, and making something like this so specific with a zero tolerance policy is overboard.

Penn wrote: »
    The difference is that those are not subjective. The line between directing someone to a more appropriate forum to be helpful and doing it to be a d*ck is too thin. You claim the one you posted was a failed attempt at comedy by being overly patronising. Others could see it as just being intentionally patronising. Some who were intentionally patronising might claim they were only joking after being actioned for it. Some mods might read it one way and the other mods read it the other way.

Some rules simply cannot be black or white. This is one of them. A zero tolerance policy for this would never work, and making something like this so specific with a zero tolerance policy is overboard.

Fair enough.

I see the blurred line now.

However, at the moment there is carte blanche to piss over a thread in this manner and that thread ended up with two people doing the pissing. I'm sure I am not the only one who gets annoyed by it.

Could we have perhaps a guideline in the charter that defines it as trolling/backseat modding (or dickish) and leave the severity of the infraction or wrist-slap up to the mods?

Or do you not see a problem with it?

If you feel a post needs mod attention, report it and the mods will have a look over it. There are already several rules in the forum charter and site-wide rules which it could fall under (Backseat modding / Don't be a d*ck / Discretion of the moderator) depending on how it's worded and several other factors.

• Advertisement

If you feel a post needs mod attention, report it and the mods will have a look over it. There are already several rules in the forum charter and site-wide rules which it could fall under (Backseat modding / Don't be a d*ck / Discretion of the moderator) depending on how it's worded and several other factors.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone infracted or warned for it though...what would be the point in reporting posts if no-one has ever been infracted??

If I started a thread on moving statues in Co. Clare in AH and someone came along and posted "Clare forum
    >"

If I reported that, would you or other mods infract/warn the poster?

That poster probably feels they have done nothing wrong, and it ends up in DRP on the precedent. No-one has been infracted before, why now etc etc.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone infracted or warned for it though...what would be the point in reporting posts if no-one has ever been infracted??

If I started a thread on moving statues in Co. Clare in AH and someone came along and posted "Clare forum
    >"

If I reported that, would you or other mods infract/warn the poster?

That poster probably feels they have done nothing wrong, and it ends up in DRP on the precedent. No-one has been infracted before, why now etc etc.

That example just highlights what we're trying to say. How do you interpret "Clare forum
    >"? Is the poster trying to be helpful? Is the poster backseat modding? Is the poster doing it intentionally to annoy the OP? Is the OP a new poster who didn't know there's a Clare forum? Does the thread actually belong in the Clare forum?

That's why it can't be written into the charter. There are too many variables to consider, and leeway should always be given where possible.

It's not like the thread got the interest level of 90 replies or 104 poll responses or anything...oh wait.

Eh, that doesn't actually carry much weight when you yourself are responsible for about a third of the posts on the thread and another third are there because of arguing over whether the thread is in the right forum or not.

To begin a thread here calling for a 'zero tolerance' approach to something you have been guilty in the past few weeks yourself of is crass at best and is trying to sabotage the forum at worst. I'm going to assume it's the former.

Eh, that doesn't actually carry much weight when you yourself are responsible for about a third of the posts on the thread and another third are there because of arguing over whether the thread is in the right forum or not.

103 of the poll responses are not mine. That's a reasonable level of AH engagement for a serious thread.
    To begin a thread here calling for a 'zero tolerance' approach to something you have been guilty in the past few weeks yourself of is crass at best and is trying to sabotage the forum at worst. I'm going to assume it's the former.

Hang on, you might be lucky enough to have a blemish free record in your three months here (although I suspect you may have been on boards before :p) but over a much longer time span I have been infracted on boards for various reasons. Now, whilst I have argued my point on occasion (well, a lot :o) with the mods about why I shouldn't be infracted, and taken a couple of things to DRP - I still agree with the rule of law (Mod?) on boards.

Just because you break a law doesn't mean you want all laws revoked, nor that you believe you shouldn't be punished. Zero tolerance would also keep my behaviour in check.

As for your "sabatoge" comment, you've lost me. Why does suggesting that certain forum behaviour should be moderated (of which I have been guilty) = sabotage??

That example just highlights what we're trying to say. How do you interpret "Clare forum
    >"? Is the poster trying to be helpful? Is the poster backseat modding? Is the poster doing it intentionally to annoy the OP? Is the OP a new poster who didn't know there's a Clare forum? Does the thread actually belong in the Clare forum?

That's why it can't be written into the charter. There are too many variables to consider, and leeway should always be given where possible.

A straightforward format rule might solve the problem.

You are allowed to post the following

And then...You are not allowed to whinge at the OP and be a dick.
    Dublin forum tbh
    Dublin forum
    >
    GTFO to the Jackeen forum
    Who cares about Dublin etc...

and so forth.

Would that be hard to enforce?

I don't think I'm the only one who finds it annoying judging by comments above.

103 of the poll responses are not mine. That's a reasonable level of AH engagement for a serious thread.

If I am allowed, I will start a thread in AH's now with a poll asking 'do you prefer the colour brown or the colour grey' and I will bet you a 6 month self imposed ban from the feedback forum that my thread will get more poll responses. :pac:
    Hang on, you might be lucky enough to have a blemish free record in your three months here (although I suspect you may have been on boards before :p) but over a much longer time span I have been infracted on boards for various reasons. Now, whilst I have argued my point on occasion (well, a lot :o) with the mods about why I shouldn't be infracted, and taken a couple of things to DRP - I still agree with the rule of law (Mod?) on boards.

Just because you break a law doesn't mean you want all laws revoked, nor that you believe you shouldn't be punished. Zero tolerance would also keep my behaviour in check.

As for your "sabatoge" comment, you've lost me. Why does suggesting that certain forum behaviour should be moderated (of which I have been guilty) = sabotage??

The word 'zero tolerance' should be reserved for blatant racism and re reg trolls and shills and that type of thing. If you have such a problem with people 'pissing all over' your thread then post it in a 'serious' forum. The smart answers that were posted in your thread stopped me from being dragged into the vortex of tedium that it was. :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

If ever there was a thread made for cat pics.

If ever there was a thread made for cat pics.

Oh look, the cloak of mod invincibility.

If I am allowed, I will start a thread in AH's now with a poll asking 'do you prefer the colour brown or the colour grey' and I will bet you a 6 month self imposed ban from the feedback forum that my thread will get more votes. :pac:

AH is not a popularity contest. I only brought up the number of votes to show that 103 user were interested enough to vote.

Uninteresting threads sink to the next page and so on, that's how AH works, unless a mod closes them as obviously stupid. Daddy or chips polls like you suggest above would be closed by the mods as a pointless poll so you would probably lose that bet.

Anyway, we are not discussing how interesting the thread was, we are discussing a form of dickish behaviour.
    The word 'zero tolerance' should be reserved for blatant racism and re reg trolls and shills and that type of thing. If you have such a problem with people 'pissing all over' your thread than post it in a 'serious' forum.
    Very well. How about "not much tolerance" for "pissing all over" threads.
    At the moment it appears that there is abundant tolerence. The argument, or rather question I'm asking is if it should have any measure tolerated. We can argue about the degree of tolerance later.
    The smart answers that were posted in your thread stopped me from being dragged into the vortex of tedium that it was. :)

Is there a shortage of threads on AH or something, or a problem with your new thread button?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Oh look, the cloak of mod invincibility.
    Conspiracy Theories forum
    >

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement