Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter golf at The European Club

• 18-10-2013 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

For those interested in playing The European Club here are some current deals.

Open Singles:
    Every Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday.
    Sunday - €60pp after 10am
    Tue & Thu - €45pp after 9am
    GUI & ILGU cardholders only.

East of Ireland Alliance:
    Timesheet from 9am-11:30am
    Every Wed, except Dec 25th & Jan 1st.
    Amateurs - h'cap limit 12 €45 per round
    Pro's - Scratch - €30 per round

East of Ireland Singles Matchplay:
    Play Mon-Fri.
    Round 1 to be played before Dec 20th, 2013.
    Arrange you own opposition in round 1. Re-entry to round 1 allowed.
    Open draw for Round 2 which commences January 2014.
    €60pp (this covers your entry fee & all subsequent rounds).

Telephone: 0404-47415

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭chud1234

where do I find out more about these competitions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Russman

Is it just me, or is €60 for an open singles not taking the pi$$ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 spursmurray

Russman wrote: »

Better value midweek at €45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Russman wrote: »

Comes down to perception, Russman.
    1st question: how much is your club's Sunday green fee? My club is €40 (mostly because weekends are for Members).
    2nd question: how does it compare with The European? The European is three times the course mine is.
    3rd question: how many courses run Open competitions over the weekend... or are even open to visitors on Saturday and Sunday?

I'm not trying to be smart - and this comes up on the Inside The Ropes trips all the time - but if you're playing a quality course you're going to pay a higher green fee for the privilege. The European is one of the best courses in Ireland and often ranked in the 100 best courses worldwide. Given that, as well as its location, I don't think €60 is unreasonable. Castleknock is €40, Luttrellstown is €36, Craddockstown, Druid's Heath and Arklow are €35.

It all depends on what kind of golf you want to play - sociable and fun, cheap and cheerful, challenging and classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

People on here were travelling up to RCD to play in open singles for £50 not so long ago and the rush to get a spot on the time sheet was unreal. The green fee for winter golf up there is £50 also.

European is on dublins doorstep and is only €45 Tuesday or Thursday in the winter and €60 all summer and it's up there with RCD, Portrush, Waterville etc for quality yet all I hear is people moaning about the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think it is good value -- in fact if it is on on Tuesday - I'm going to play it.

But as we have seen so many times here and with friends of mine - they have a real issue with 50 euro +. I'll joke saying they wouldn't play Augusta if it is over 50 - but they wouldn't play Druids Glen for example - a lad I know (who has plenty of money) , would't play Druids Glen 2 weeks ago because of price over 50. An issue of principle. I think life is too short for that - but he is a tight fecker too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

To add to Kevin's post above, 60 is quite a fair rate to play one of the countries top courses and having the chance to play at these low rates 3 times a week is excellent.

In contrast how often do Ballybunnion, Waterville, RCD, portmarnock hold open events or even have green fees much lower than €60 euro or €45 mid week

Ronney wrote: »
    To add to Kevin's post above, 60 is quite a fair rate to play one of the countries top courses and having the chance to play at these low rates 3 times a week is excellent.

In contrast how often do Ballybunnion, Waterville, RCD, portmarnock hold open events or even have green fees much lower than €60 euro or €45 mid week

I'd say most do except (Portmarnock) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I'd say most do except (Portmarnock) ?

Yea, Portmarnock highly unlikely, but even the others aren't that accessible and open events are few and far between. Plus, issues with mats and placing balls from fairway into the rough. Played a winter match at Portmarnock when I was at uny and hit 13 of 14 fairways... only to pick up the ball and place it in the rough.

The European runs all winter long and all you have to do is look at the weather forecast and book a day in advance.

I feel the same way about Royal County Down - I played there on Tuesday and had sunshine for almost the entire round. Greens and fairways were perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

A group of us play the open in Portmarnock Links on a Tuesday every few weeks. Place is normally jammers at €50 for amateurs and plenty of pros also. There is definitely a market out there.

Great to get out and play solid underfoot counting comps during the winter.

• Advertisement

Tin_Cup wrote: »
    A group of us play the open in Portmarnock Links on a Tuesday every few weeks. Place is normally jammers at €50 for amateurs and plenty of pros also. There is definitely a market out there.

But you can get it for 45 -- do you mind me asking why it is 50 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

you'd be doing well to get cut playing the European :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

you'd be doing well to get cut playing the European :D

I don't think you can get cut playing the European's open comps; you certainly don't have to swipe in in my experience. Unusual, but I feel the European doesn't handle wet weather or frost quite as well as the Links Portmarnock, so maybe that's the reason. You still get the odd mudball on a couple of holes after rain, noticeably the 5th, whereas I don't think I've ever seen Portmarnock's fairways anything other than bone dry.

2 lovely courses though and they can charge what they like over the winter and people will pay it. No comparison between 9 holes on frozen, temporary greens in my place and 18 holes on a links course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

You can get cut mate. You sign the book with your GUI number and the times I've played the result went back to my club. I got my .1's every time :)
    One time I played it there wasn't enough people for it to be a counting comp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

ForeRight wrote: »
    You can get cut mate. You sign the book with your GUI number and the times I've played the result went back to my club. I got my .1's every time :)
    One time I played it there wasn't enough people for it to be a counting comp.

That's very interesting. My card/result has never come back (a rake of 0.1's outstanding so, dating back to about 5 years ago!). I remember having to write down name, club and phone number last year but not GUI number. And they must be the only club in the country that don't have the swipe system if that is indeed the case. Oh well, maybe they'll be more anxious to adjust my handicap when/ if I finally achieve anything buffer-zone-or-better related!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

But you can get it for 45 -- do you mind me asking why it is 50 ?

Sorry Fixed not sure what the question is. Entry fee is as follows for Tuesday Winter Series in Portmarnock Links:

TUESDAY WINTER SERIES - SINGLES STROKES
    15th October 2013 - 11th March 2014
    Open to PGA/LPGA Members - Entry fee €25
    Open to Players with Official GUI/ILGU Handicaps
    Handicap Limit 9 and under - Entry Fee €50

Was just making the point that there is plenty of golfers out there that are happy to pay around the price point of The European to play.

Sorry Fixed not sure what the question is. Entry fee is as follows for Tuesday Winter Series in Portmarnock Links:

TUESDAY WINTER SERIES - SINGLES STROKES
    15th October 2013 - 11th March 2014
    Open to PGA/LPGA Members - Entry fee €25
    Open to Players with Official GUI/ILGU Handicaps
    Handicap Limit 9 and under - Entry Fee €50

Was just making the point that there is plenty of golfers out there that are happy to pay around the price point of The European to play.

Sorry Tin Cup - didn't explain myself well - was on phone.

I'd be on the look out for stuff like that for winter - would like to play with good players on links to try improve - perhaps they sound too good.

But was surprised to see the price for an open set to above the price of the actual green fee rate for that course - normally opens are set very low below the normal rack rate.

Looked it up and it says 45 euro , is this the event.

http://www.portmarnock.com/open-events.html

So will hit there over winter too -only down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Sorry Tin Cup - didn't explain myself well - was on phone.

But was surprised to see the price for an open set to above the price of the actual green fee rate for that course - normally opens are set very low below the normal rack rate.

Looked it up and it says 45 euro , is this the event.

So will hit there over winter too -only down the road.

That €45 rate is for their open competitions on the three dates of Mon 28th Oct, Thurs 26th Dec and Tues 31st December.
    The €50 rate is for the Tues winter series which is on each week over the winter.

I do remember querying the €50 winter series rate with Portmarnock Links last year when I was looking into the competitions and as to why the rate was more expensive than a standard green fee. Their response was that the €50 fee was the standard green fee of €45 plus a €5 competition fee so the open competition was just that and offered no additional value.
    Pity to see that the winter series appear to charge a premium over their standard open competitions which don't charge a competition fee on top of the green fee.

Lads - short notice anybody fancy One of above tomorrow ?

Pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bmay529

Does anyone know current and winter rates for the European Club or where to find them? Their web site shows winter guest rates of €100 a pop. I have a GUI h/c of 12

• Advertisement
Advertisement